GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does E85 Make A Difference For Off The Shelf Tunes?

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
With E25 on Uni Stg1+ and DSG tune in 100*f San Antonio heat, my timing advance has not gone negative a single time. After reading that paper I linked and anecdotes from the EcoBoost and Mk7 GTI communities, and seeing the results for myself on two different platforms, I'm a true believer.

All hail our ethanol overlords!

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know if its my mind paying tricks on me, but after adding 1 gallon of E-85 with 5 gallons of 93octane my car feels like it opened up much more. Especially in manual mode.

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not your mind! If you have a few minutes, check out the PDF a couple of posts up. Turbo direct injected engines friggin LOVE E blends

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
I'm reading the above referenced document now. In other news, I sent Unitronic a note asking about it and they were emphatic in their reply: Do not use it.

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
They might have misunderstood you and thought you meant pure E85. Their Stage 1+ tune file is literally labeled E20/93 OCT/98 RON.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'm running a Neuspeed module and I can feel a difference. Every few weeks I'll gas up with 3.5 gallons of E85 and top off with 91...then run it in the 7psi mode.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I'm running a Neuspeed module and I can feel a difference. Every few weeks I'll gas up with 3.5 gallons of E85 and top off with 91...then run it in the 7psi mode.

Korn is Great! :).

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Problem is gas stations (around me) won't guarantee more than 55%-85% ethanol.

55% only nets
E17 with 2 gal
E21 with 3 gal
E25 with 4 gal

85% would net
E23 with 2 gal
E29 with 3 gal
E35 with 4 gal

I usually cut the difference and average 70% ethanol, call me pessimistic but real world. Therefore 3.8 gal E85 and 8.2 gal 93 will net average of E29 (E24-E35)

Results are immediately noticable. Use at your own risk.
http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
There's a state by state guide that shows what each state mandates E85 to be season by season. In the winter, E85 is typically minimum E55 and up but it differs state by state. In the summer, most states guarantee minimum E70 and up.

Find the link, I think it's on the USDA website and check it out.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Anyone running E needs to buy a test tube and verify the content. That's step 1.

https://www.amazon.com/Holley-26-147-Fuel-Tester/dp/B00FTSIEZQ

Give it a good 5-10 minutes to fully settle. Then you know your math is right.

Step 2 is to download an app to make the math quick and easy at the pump.

My local pump is E74 all winter and E85 all summer, the only question is during the change over points (Oct-Nov and May-June). Now we're full E85 so i wont test again until fall.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Just gave me a million dollar idea. Ty

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just gave me a million dollar idea. Ty

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I know what the idea is ;) and I don't think they need anyone's help with it