GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Service Dept that isn't terrible in DMV?

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
So I'm in a dilemma to find a good VW service dept that doesn't meet the following guidelines:

1: gives you extreme crap for just having lowering springs or any customized part on your car

2: Doesn't do crap work

3: Covers up a transmission leak by wiping it clean and saying "there is no leak"

SO anyone have any suggestions? I've been to 3 dealerships who meet at least one of the above. Another huge plus is having LOANER vehicles which is a rarity. Only one dealer I Went to had those and that was the one who initially acknowledged my transmission leak and then covered it up by saying "there is no leak" on my 3rd visit.

FWIW: I have a 2016 GSW with a slow transmission leak on its tiptronic auto gearbox. Its coming from the front area, around where the starter is and I've documented it via pictures as of 7000 miles. Took it the first time at 10,400 and they told me to drive it to pinpoint where it was coming from so I brought it back with ~14k miles and they then said "there is no leak". I just checked it again at 18k and its got fluid on the front of the case slowly reaching the bottom of the pan and it pisses me off that any dealership could say "thats normal" or "its not going to be covered by your warranty".

This same dealership did a headliner replacement in my car after my pano roof leaked. Just this past week I noticed what a crappy job they did. They used hard-screwdrivers to pry my airbag logos on my B-pillars off and left huge marring marks along those and the screw covers on the grab-handles and other marks on the A & C pillars. Another dealer I went to, took my car in for both the pano leak + trans leak but never looked at it after 6 days and gave me crap for having lowering springs on my car yelling at their service advisor "go get a camera and get a video of this and send it to VW" right in front of me while I was standing there. They later told me "Take it to where you bought it from if you need work done". Another dealership I called about bringing it in said the same thing "we dont' like working on cars that were not purchased/serviced here" so I steered clear entirely.

Anyone have GOOD experiences with the service depts at VW dealerships in the DMV? PLEASE SHARE!

lokerola

Ready to race!
Well, Alexandria VW has been pretty good to me. They installed my DG springs, fixed my b pillar rattle, fixed my creaking sun roof, and fixed my out of alignment radar. They are a bit slow, and don't believe the gal on the phone who says that they have loaners available (they typically don't). But otherwise they've fixed all my broken crap successfully (and without screwing anything else up). YMMV.

EDIT: You want a loaner? Buy a Lexus, Mercedes, etc. :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Why I don't allow any dealership to work on my car 101

It always comes back worse than it went in. My mk7 has never been to any shop in 45k miles

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
hah the loaner comment....I get a loaner for my wife's Benz and it's not because the car is more expensive that they have loaners, but the SERVICE, warranty or not, has the cost baked into it for the types of things that require loaners. It is nice though.

any reason not to try an Indy?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Haven't had an issue with King yet in Gaithersburg, but also haven't had any major work done. (Still dreading doing the recall)

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
I second King VW in Gaithersburg. I’ve gotten a couple of cars there and have always had a good experience service wise. They have always been honest with me about work (e.g., this stuff should be done soon, but doesn’t have to be done now type of stuff). Also, they have offered me a loaner whenever I’ve gone in for work that was going to take more than a few hours. The service staff has always been really friendly and accommodating. I did have one bad experience where a tech banged up one of my wheels, but I complained and the manager called me directly for compensation. They aren’t the cheapest (like any dealer), but I wouldn’t have any reservation about recommending them to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I go to Checkered flag VW in Virginia Beach ( i know way too far away) but i just had 30k maintenance done (part of the maintenance package) and an inspection. All with lowering springs, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, intake, intercooler, Helix headlights, Cobb tune, boost guage, etc... passed the inspection and gave me the inspection and tire rotation for free even though i didn't buy the car there. This is why even though I moved to the next city over, i still go back to them because they don't try to F you every chance they get.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I go to Checkered flag VW in Virginia Beach ( i know way too far away) but i just had 30k maintenance done (part of the maintenance package) and an inspection. All with lowering springs, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, intake, intercooler, Helix headlights, Cobb tune, boost guage, etc... passed the inspection and gave me the inspection and tire rotation for free even though i didn't buy the car there. This is why even though I moved to the next city over, i still go back to them because they don't try to F you every chance they get.

Whatever I can't do myself, I always take it to Big Will at Checkered Flag. He is a good friend of mine, the head mechanic there and is awesome at his job!

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
King is the dealer that said I have no leak (and where I bought my car). Their writers were really nice and they were complimenting my car, not criticizing its mods when I went there a couple times. They also offer loaners but the work the guy did on my headliner was pretty crap.

I already know Antwerpen in Pasadena Sucks from prior experiences with my mk6. Anyone have experience with Lindsay in sterling? Its a hike but they are the largest dealer in the area and I was thinking of trying them for my trans leak.

And I'm used to loaners from owning my WRX. All dealerships give you a loaner no problem with Subie.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Lindsay is great from what I hear. Are you a member of NovaDubs or Mid Atlatic Driver's Club on facebook. Lots of Lindsay guys on there.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I bought mine from Ourisman VW in Laurel. FWIW a couple staff there told me they were "mod-friendly" after I was chatting with a couple of them about their personal cars. I've only had a free/included maintenance done there, so I don't really have any meaningful experience besides to say they changed the oil and gave the car an inspection.