GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator delete

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
The long awaited MK7 GTI resonator delete video:

1st pass: Drive Mode moderate acceleration
2nd pass: Launch Control in Sport Mode (0:19)
3rd pass: Manual Mode moderate acceleration (0:40)
4th pass: Sport Mode fast acceleration (1:00) - This run captures the exhaust note the best, sorry for the overall poor sound quality of this clip.
Revving: (1:18)

Here is the video I shot while the exhaust was stock for reference:

1st pass: Drive Mode moderate acceleration
2nd pass: Launch Control in Sport Mode (0:45)
3rd pass: Manual Mode moderate acceleration (1:20)
4th pass: Sport Mode fast acceleration (1:50)
Revving: (2:19)

Last edited:

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
My review after having lived with the resonator delete for a few hundred miles:

It sounds pretty good, but it does take away some of the refinement of the stock exhaust note, and adds more bass and growl at certain rpm. It doesn't really drone, and I'm a stickler when it comes to drone. I hated how drony my APR turbo-back was on my MK6 GTI, and ended up adding a resonator to that. When giving the car moderate to heavy throttle, there is a bit of resonation at around 3000 rpm that some would call drone, but it's fairly mild. Overall, the exhaust system doesn't sound modified inside the cabin. Someone who had never been in a MK7 would think it's stock.

The midrange has a nice subtle growl when you step on it between 3-4K rpm, that sounds similar to the way sport mode does (except that the sport mode sound increase is all fake, generated by the soundaktor). There is pretty much no noticeable sound increase when cruising on the freeway, the ride has remained very quiet. DSG farts are now slightly drawn out, and are less crisp than before, yet louder. While stock, it was more of a pop. Now they sound more like a fart.

Honestly, I thought I would have gotten bored of it by now and gone back to stock. When I did a resonator delete on my MK5 GTI, I put it back to stock immediately because it droned horribly and sounded awful in my opinion. This mod is much more livable, and is really only a subtle difference in sound inside the vehicle. I would recommend it, as it only cost me $40 to have done, and will cost the same to be put back to stock if I ever feel like it.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
thanks for the vids buddy. It sounds very nice without the res on hard acceleration.
Did you see the CTS Catback thread. I think this thing sounds fantastic. Out of all the zorts I have heard that are out so far I think this one sounds the best. Bar the music playing in the vid I think it sounds very punchy.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4592

Thanks. I saw the CTS cat-back video, it sounds nice but I think it would be way too loud for my taste. I'm a real stickler when it comes to drone or resonation in the cabin, even the APR TBE I had on my MK6 was way too loud imo.

P.S.: Why people put a music track on exhaust videos is beyond me. :mad:

Ryan2

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump because this thread is very helpful

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
I had a res delete on my mk6 and liked it. Until i added a catless DP. Once that DP was added along with the res delete... OMG. Diesel monster truck GTI. I mean, i kinda liked it, but it was way too loud for most people. To compare, i added a Magnaflow cat back later on which sounded tame compared to the prior set up. lol

I fear that might be the case with this as well. So i'm going to add the DP first and see how that sounds. Most likely the CTS DP. Largest exit section, and it's the cheapest. Its a winner!

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I had a res delete on my mk6 and liked it. Until i added a catless DP. Once that DP was added along with the res delete... OMG. Diesel monster truck GTI. I mean, i kinda liked it, but it was way too loud for most people. To compare, i added a Magnaflow cat back later on which sounded tame compared to the prior set up. lol

I fear that might be the case with this as well. So i'm going to add the DP first and see how that sounds. Most likely the CTS DP. Largest exit section, and it's the cheapest. Its a winner!

having tried res delete on both mk6 and mk7, rest assured it's not the same case :) mk7's res delete is sooooo quite compared to mk6 res delete ;)

SD_GTi

I got rid of the resonator and noticed maybe 10-20% sound increase. Probably not worth the trouble, but only out $50. Will probably get a nice muffler and tips to get a better tone. Dont really like how muffler deletes sound.

Looking at the factory system, it really doesn't look all that restrictive after the downpipe. Thoughts?

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion

U2Slow

I did it yesterday. Love it!

cj_gti

Ready to race!
Im sorry if these are stupid questions but i just got into cars recently and i was wondering if a resonator delete was legal and if it voids warranty?

Tornado red|mk7 gti| 6MT

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008