GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
That's alright, my radiator tabs on my IE slip out too.
Well damn. I am thinking about using a shiny and adhesive such as RTV to "wedge" the rad clips in place. My radiator actually contacted both the AC hose and my throttle body connector.

The contact actually cracked the connector housing. Gotta figure out if I can get the connector replaced. Still functions fine though.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
That's alright, my radiator tabs on my IE slip out too.
So I decided to try JB Plastic Weld. It is a "low-psi hold" filler/epoxy that is a 2-part putty that is activated as you combine the layers. I placed some underneath the radiator clips and on both sides of the clips to fill the voids (hoping that the rad clips wouldn't be able to compress when large bumps are hit allowing the rad to move back). I also filled the area next to the large alignment tabs on the radiator below the clips.

Will keep the thread updated if this functioned well or failed.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
It has been a year and a half since I installed this intercooler. Nice to have with the weather starting to warm up. Thanks again to OldschoolMK7 for doing the initial leg work and write up.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
guys, what tool are you using to file down the pegs? and is it only the one side that need a filing?
Fitment of this thing is inconsistent, you'll have to measure and decide for yourself.

I got lucky and didn't have to file down either side, but it seems most have had to file at least the driver's side. If I had to file I would have used an angle grinder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JCAT

I had to file down both sides substantially. If I knew ahead of time how much it was going to need removed I would have gotten my Dremel out. Unfortunately, because I didn't bother to measure it first I just ended up working it by hand with a bastard file until it fit.

SDZ007

currently my pegs measure 29mm on each side.. but this is going into an s3 so not sure if it's different.. if I can prep it before it goes on that would be ideal.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Does the Magic intercooler help with heat soak on stock tune? If there's no effect on the stock tune because there's no heat soak to begin with, I'm just gonna wait till next year to install it.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Does the Magic intercooler help with heat soak on stock tune? If there's no effect on the stock tune because there's no heat soak to begin with, I'm just gonna wait till next year to install it.
The stock IC definitely gets heat soaked. No doubt about it. You can feel the timing pull due to it. Especially in stock and go traffic etc. Even on the highway/interstate in traffic temps will rise due to heatsoak.

The stock IC just doesn't have enough surface area/mass not to heat soak. Just look at the Intercooler performance thread. IATs soar with the stock IC on pulls, and the aftermarket ones drop due to the rapid temp drop and amount of air flowed through the aftermarket ICs. Takes long pulls to "resoak" aftermarket ICs.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
So I decided to try JB Plastic Weld. It is a "low-psi hold" filler/epoxy that is a 2-part putty that is activated as you combine the layers. I placed some underneath the radiator clips and on both sides of the clips to fill the voids (hoping that the rad clips wouldn't be able to compress when large bumps are hit allowing the rad to move back). I also filled the area next to the large alignment tabs on the radiator below the clips.

Will keep the thread updated if this functioned well or failed.
Just to follow up on this experiment.

It worked perfectly. If you have issues with the rad clips popping out, this works perfect. Soft enough to be able to chisel out in the future.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
The stock IC definitely gets heat soaked. No doubt about it. You can feel the timing pull due to it. Especially in stock and go traffic etc. Even on the highway/interstate in traffic temps will rise due to heatsoak.

The stock IC just doesn't have enough surface area/mass not to heat soak. Just look at the Intercooler performance thread. IATs soar with the stock IC on pulls, and the aftermarket ones drop due to the rapid temp drop and amount of air flowed through the aftermarket ICs. Takes long pulls to "resoak" aftermarket ICs.

What about on open track days? There's constantly cooler air hitting the front of the car. I don't care too much about heat soak during daily driving.

I presume if I get the intercooler installed while doing stage 1 engine mounts, the labour should be cheaper?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
What about on open track days? There's constantly cooler air hitting the front of the car. I don't care too much about heat soak during daily driving.

I presume if I get the intercooler installed while doing stage 1 engine mounts, the labour should be cheaper?
But the trade is constantly high boost too. I say experiment. Get an OBDeleven if you don't have one and log IAT at a track day. If You are 15+ degreesF above ambient, there is your answer. You should log Timing too. Pretty sure you will see consistently lower timing numbers.

I doubt it would save any money honestly (unless they are hooking you up). The engine mount can be done with a jack and moving the coolant reservoir. That is it. I didn't even remove my undertray because their is direct access to the oil pan for support.

drrck

Go Kart Champion

Open track days you will heatsoak in almost no time. You might get one lap in before performance really takes a hit. There is no airflow right after a corner and the added size of an aftermarket IC allows the charge air temps to get back to acceptable levels much more quickly than the stock setup. It was noticeable for me at stock power levels. Stage 1 was hardly faster than stock as the heat soak problem was so severe.