GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Can someone give me a crash course on logging? I've had my CTS FMIC and IS38 for over a year now, but honestly always wondered how well the FMIC is doing. My IS38 was installed during winter and I never really got a chance to experience heat soak timing pull in my car (that I'm aware of). I just want to make sure the CTS FMIC is actually adequately cooling for what I need.

I'm assuming there's 4 relevant data points to monitor which are RPM, IAT, ambient air, timing pull. Is that right? The only tool I have to log with now is OBD11. Can someone briefly explain the kind of pulls I should be running and what I'm looking for in the data? I'm assuming the overall goal is 0 timing pull to consider your setup completely solid and stable? Is that oversimplifying it a bit?

stbou

I'm uni stage 2 with FBO. Last mod was the uni intercooler (along with SRE clutch) and the difference is noticeable. The spool seem faster: delay is the same but peak come sooner.
Power delivery is more linear and the top end is amazing. I would guess 15-20 hp, I think it's time for my first dyno day

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
First time logging so I would appreciate some feedback or maybe suggestions. I logged using VCDS (Turbo on and Group UDS Request checked)

I logged the following:

Engine Speed

Accelerator Position (%)

Intake Air Temperature

Outside Air Temperature

Did a 3rd gear pulls from 3k to 6k.

https://datazap.me/u/miamibourne/20190609-stock-intercooler-runs?log=0&data=0-1-2-3&solo=1-2

I plan to install my IE Intercooler this week and just wanted to compare. I'll post a pic shortly of the log with TapaTalk since I can't from my work machine...

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I just went 10.78 on my China stock mount.

Gordon went 10.4 on his.

I think for $300 it is unbeatable.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Ya stock is brutal

Went 12.8 @ 106 with stock IC (warm day)
Went 12.5 @ 109 with stock IC (needed a cooler day)

As soon as it gets remotely warm outside, the car heat soaks with the OEM unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Ya stock is brutal

Went 12.8 @ 106 with stock IC (warm day)
Went 12.5 @ 109 with stock IC (needed a cooler day)

As soon as it gets remotely warm outside, the car heat soaks with the OEM unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What temps on those days?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Attached is a high level compare based on WOT on the top end and IAT vs ambient of the stock IC and the IE Intercooler I just installed.

I’ll post the Datazap shortly but I thought this may be easier to read for some. Doesn’t show the entire picture of course which is what the Datazap is for.

I converted the temps on the spreadsheet to Fahrenheit also since VCDS outputs Celsius. The Datazap only has Celsius.

DataZap:

IE Intercooler:

https://datazap.me/u/miamibourne/20190627-integrated-intercooler-runs?log=0&data=0

Stock Intercooler:

https://datazap.me/u/miamibourne/20190609-stock-intercooler-runs?log=0&data=0-2-3&solo=2&mark=1307

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Looks like normal results, stock IC does a good job and an aftermarket IC does a little better.

I think most people would consider cutting the temperature rise from over 30 degrees to under 13 more than "a little better". Especially when these cars start pulling timing due to high IATs to prevent knock. Not getting within 30 degrees of ambient doesn't really constitute a "good job" for most enthusiasts either, although I get that it's a subjective term.

There are multiple threads now where you seem to be disparaging the use of aftermarket ICs. Not trying to attack you, but what is the point you're trying to make? This thread and others show tons of data proving they work to control IAT, prevent heat soak, and allow more boost and timing in a tune to increase HP.