GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech HPFP DIY/Tips

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
I bought the HPA because I don't have a bench vice to properly hold the fuel pump. I'm a little intimidated using the bearing puller, but I also didn't want to pay someone for the install. When the time comes to sell my car, I'll remove all my parts to and go back to stock. I'll be able to throw the stock HPFP back on and sell the HPA to get some of that money back.

My local shop is 90 minutes away and I need to take a day off work. It would have been great if I can just go with Autotech and have my local guy install it, but I need more than just the HPFP install to make the trip worthwhile.

Sure. Have to do what works best for you. Just posing the thought as it seems others considering an hpfp upgrade but not wanting to deal with an install can still consider the Autotech. It is possible to hire out the labor and potentially spend less than the HPA. Upside is saving money but downside is you won't have a stock pump. However, trades of a modded hpfp for a stock one+cash have happened.

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
I have had my internals lying around for a bit and haven’t had time to get them in.

I called a local tuner today to ask for a Saturday to get them installed along with an alignment since I just installed coil overs.

They quoted 8 hours of labor, said they would need the entire day. I reiterated that it was just HPFP internals and not LPFP, same answer.

Figured you guys could use a laugh because that’s re-fucking-diculous.

Looks like I’ll be attacking it myself this weekend and getting an alignment elsewhere [emoji2373].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have had my internals lying around for a bit and haven’t had time to get them in.

I called a local tuner today to ask for a Saturday to get them installed along with an alignment since I just installed coil overs.

They quoted 8 hours of labor, said they would need the entire day. I reiterated that it was just HPFP internals and not LPFP, same answer.

Looks like I’ll be attacking it myself this weekend and getting an alignment elsewhere [emoji2373].

Good for you. Always remember "If Diggs can do it, I can do it...probably better."

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Lmao.

I've only done that job once and it probably took less than an hour start to finish.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT

Woah 8 hours? I wonder if some of these shops have even done these jobs before? Haha. I didn't end up doing this install (went mpi) but I had called a local shop and was quoted 2 hours for hpfp install. I always want to know before I DIY in case I botch it.

Good for you. Always remember "If Diggs can do it, I can do it...probably better."

LOL, those very words helped me push through on several installs! ;)

Seriously, Diggs is a humble dude. He has helped countless people on here. Just follow his DIY and I'm sure this can be knocked out in a reasonable amount of time. I followed his LPFP DIY and managed to get the job done with little trouble (which is rare for me).

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
No turning back now, I’ll be tackling this tomorrow.
My only concern is that I don’t have a bench vice, so I’ll see if I can get it done without one.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Same kit I used!

Thoughts and prayers your way.

It was easy, but I was disappointed I cracked the factory retainer like others have done.

Also agree, hour install at most.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Same kit I used!

Thoughts and prayers your way.

It was easy, but I was disappointed I cracked the factory retainer like others have done.

Also agree, hour install at most.

Pancakes,

If you put the puller on the first/second coil of the spring instead of directly on the retainer, it won't crack it.

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Okay so I took my time and this ended up taking me about an hour and fifteen minutes from engine cover off to engine cover on. By far the most difficult part(s) were getting the pump out of and into the block while trying to deal with an manipulate the hard fuel line. I had to be forceful and gentle all at the same time, it was traumatic.

However once the pump was out and my garage was soaked in sweet sweet gasoline everything was pretty straight forward. I ended up wrapping and zip-tying a shop towel around the end of the rubber hose, I suggest doing something similar to avoid spillage.

I actually managed to get the puller under the retainer and above the spring and disassemble it without breaking anything like you bunch of amateurs. But in all seriousness this took patience and a couple of tries, but it is possible.

Once the spring and retainer are off, I will reinforce 100% what Diggs suggested and tell you to definitely use an impact with the Autotech tool to remove the pump core. One light ugga-dugga with the handheld buzzy boi and the threads will break loose and you can unscrew it the rest of the way by hand.

I swapped the internals after applying a touch of oil and then screwed the core back into the pump. Again, I used the impact to tighten this. The spring and retainer were easy to insert and were a bit loose until I pushed down on the top of the piston, this tightened them up.

Be careful when you loosen and unscrew the core from the pump as it is still full of fuel. You can see the aftermath of my BP-style spill and clean up efforts below.

Take your time putting the pump back in the block. Once the hard line is seated in the brass fitting on the bottom and the pump partially in the block, use the two screws to “walk” the pump in by tightening one until you meet resistance, and then switching to the other. Repeat.

All in all, not too bad considering I didn’t have a bench vice, which was my biggest concern going into the job. After taking the car out, my EQT no longer maxes out the HPFP on the base tune and I have a lot more headroom for Ed to work with now. 2 fresh logs were sent to him this afternoon. I’m super pumped, absolute pun intended.

Last edited: