GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hey all, I need some help with an install

athos56

Ready to race!
So I'm installing my B8 struts and I got to the point where I'm tightening everything down in the front and I can still move the strut at the pinch when I wiggle the break rotor in and out laterally. The B8 is slightly thinner and there is still some room even though I have that strut bolt tighten down to the point that the pinch is flush... Am I missing something?? When I try and wiggle the rotor on the side with the stock strut still in it doesn't move at all rock solid. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Pictures?

Only thing i can imagine is that the strut isn't seated fully down.

Swoope

Ready to race!
sounds like you have the wrong strut. can you measure the od of the bottom of the strut. i think is should be 54.5mm

beers

athos56

Ready to race!
Damn dude, I was sent the wrong strut... I had already done the whole rear end... Was sent part number 35-229902, I think I was suppose to be sent 35-229919. The rear shocks were right though... Should I just leave them in till the right front struts come in?

Last edited:

BMAN

Go Kart Newbie
Damn dude, I was sent the wrong strut... I had already done the whole rear end... Was sent part number 35-229902, I think I was suppose to be sent 35-229919. The rear shocks were right though... Should I just leave them in till the right front struts come in?

Yes, they sent you the 50mm ones for the TDI not the GTI.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Should I just leave them in till the right front struts come in?

You did both sides or just one? If it were me I would pull them out for a couple reasons:

1. It’s not safe and would not want to run the risk of them popping out.
2. Hopefully easier to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

athos56

Ready to race!
I did the whole rear end and then started the front, for sure I'm taking out the front strut, I guess I'm wondering about the rear end. Talk about a giant pain in the ass.

athos56

Ready to race!
Well, good news is that it still drives great, so my hamfisted install didn't hurt anything. I left the bilsteins in the back, and I put my sway bar on a stronger setting at got new end links in. With the TT pads it doesn't look silly with a lot of reverse rake. I'm going to see if FAS Tuning will send me some of the correct front struts to gain some good will, until then I'll just roll with the Sachs in front. Worse case I'll just eat the loss and get some struts on pay day.

athos56

Ready to race!
Sorry for being OT, but what did you pay for the B8's? Also in the market right now.

As part of the B12 kit it was ~900 all said and done. FAS Tuning had the lowest price. They been good, returned my emails on a Sunday, good start.

athos56

Ready to race!
Just wanted to update, FAS Tuning went above and beyond to help me out with Bilstein to get the right parts sent out to me. It was awesome to deal with someone who was willing to help out even though it wasn't their mistake.