GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spied: MK8 Golf gets high tech overhauled interior!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Everybody snickers at the exterior when a new Golf is in the pipeline. I think it will be fine.

But that interior? YEESH. Maybe they are BS shots designed to increase desirability of Mk7's and move the metal until the "real" Mk8 comes out. :)

I believe you're right on the exterior.
I hope you're right on the interior.
VW did a nice job on the Jetta's virtual instrument display, and the Jetta has a lower buck interior.
I hope the Golf's is better integrated than these images show.

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
The people at VW are not idiots. They know how important the golf is in all their markets. I am certain both the interior and exterior will look a lot better on the finished product, especially the GTI. Also appearance changes tend to grow on people over time so am sure it will be fine.
Unnecessary functional changes and too much tech are the reasons why I didn't want to wait for a Mk8. Also I don't like the idea of it growing larger in size. I like the current blend of technology and basic function in the 7.5.
Still can't wait to see the unveiling of the new one, though!

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The people at VW are not idiots. They know how important the golf is in all their markets. I am certain both the interior and exterior will look a lot better on the finished product, especially the GTI. Also appearance changes tend to grow on people over time so am sure it will be fine.
Unnecessary functional changes and too much tech are the reasons why I didn't want to wait for a Mk8. Also I don't like the idea of it growing larger in size. I like the current blend of technology and basic function in the 7.5.

Well remember they are ditching the standard Golf in the US with the MK8 although I think I read the Golf is a best seller in Europe. The new design is far more modern looking. I will have to see the interior in person but to me it looks like they are playing copycat with most other manufacturers. The exterior wouldn't be as bad if the back end was more similar to the MK7/7.5. Like another poster wrote it looks almost like a cross between the regular Golf and Golf SportWagen.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I do understand that looks are very subjective and we cannot judge anything from these pre-production cars. I like physical buttons in the interiors but looks like every other manufacturer is going against it. I hate those tablets stuck into every other vehicles as it looks awful.

On a sidenote, not everyone who are making these decisions are geniuses either. Just because they are one of the biggest automotive manufacturers, it doesn’t mean that they have the best brains in the industry. I work in the automotive industry and i have seen several incapable engineers sitting in the top of the chain.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
clearly you guys do not know that more screens and pixels is better, after all, that what car is all about nowdays

Yes! I actually want my buttons to have tiny built in OLED screens displaying it's function instead of a cheap print on symbol.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
As far the Golf styling goes it hasn't actually changed much in 50 years. It's the same basic design. Sure it's a little more aerodynamic and has better looking styling with the headlights etc but the basic shape hasn't changed much.

Sparklebeard

I agree it's ugly AF, but I understand the reasoning...the MK8 is the transitional model to their all-electric MEB line. Just read today they're opening two plants in China and a third in Germany for this, plus pumping over a billion dollars into a battery factory. Physical controls will eventually be a thing of the past as we move into the electric era. The MK7.5 will probably be the last of it's kind.

I'm a little excited about a potential all-electric performance Golf going head-to-head with Tesla on 0-60 times though (instant torque!), but I don't think I'll be considering the next generation during this transition.

I'm not sure why physical controls and electrics necessarily are like oil and water. The e-Golf works just great with the standard complement of Mk7 buttons.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Unlikely that the interior in the link will be how the final product looks, the screens won’t be sitting proud like that, VW love conformity across their range and having seen the new Touareg R-line’s interior I think the final golf design will impress most people, the Touareg interior is a nice place to be and the controls are very intuitive, hard to explain but it works well, it won’t be to everybody’s taste but things progress, that’s just how it is!

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Something interesting that I came across is the Euro-spec 2020 Passat steering wheel. Looks to be VW's new wheel design going forward, as that's pretty much what we're seeing on this Mk8 test mule.

pjs06c

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure why physical controls and electrics necessarily are like oil and water. The e-Golf works just great with the standard complement of Mk7 buttons.

Honestly, I think it just helps sell the 'electric car experience.' Electric is synonymous with tech in the auto industry now so it gets people thinking they're buying an evolutionary car

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You're right about this - that VW likes conformity across the model range.
When it comes to an upcoming VW, if you are wondering where it's styling inside and out is likely to fall - look at the other models that have been recently redone - and you can be pretty sure the next model won't deviate far.