GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spied: MK8 Golf gets high tech overhauled interior!

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Looks like an Opel Astra on the outside and like a Renault on the inside :p Still better looking than the MK5 :)
I think the MK7 is the best looking one of them... since the eighties.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly if you ask me this is a notable regression from the styling not only of the Mk7 Golf, but also the Mk7 Jetta. I get why VW is designing it the way they are, after all with the rising prominence of the central infotainment screen it makes sense to want to raise it to a more natural eye level than having it be shunted off in a lower portion of the dash like on the current Golf.

This is why so many manufacturers are going with that god awful tacked on tablet design. From an aesthetic standpoint it's a travesty, but it does come with the added benefit of allowing drivers to not have to lower their eyes as much to access whatever information might be on it. And to their credit, VW managed this on the Mk7 Jetta while maintaining a coherent dashboard.

Honestly it's a sad state of affairs when it looks like more care was put into the interior dashboard layout of a Jetta than a Golf.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
The useless pointy part that goes out on to the fender from the headlights reminds me of the kia stinger and ford focus but on the headlights instead of the taillights.

pjs06c

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree it's ugly AF, but I understand the reasoning...the MK8 is the transitional model to their all-electric MEB line. Just read today they're opening two plants in China and a third in Germany for this, plus pumping over a billion dollars into a battery factory. Physical controls will eventually be a thing of the past as we move into the electric era. The MK7.5 will probably be the last of it's kind.

I'm a little excited about a potential all-electric performance Golf going head-to-head with Tesla on 0-60 times though (instant torque!), but I don't think I'll be considering the next generation during this transition.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I agree it's ugly AF, but I understand the reasoning...the MK8 is the transitional model to their all-electric MEB line. Just read today they're opening two plants in China and a third in Germany for this, plus pumping over a billion dollars into a battery factory. Physical controls will eventually be a thing of the past as we move into the electric era. The MK7.5 will probably be the last of it's kind.

I'm a little excited about a potential all-electric performance Golf going head-to-head with Tesla on 0-60 times though (instant torque!), but I don't think I'll be considering the next generation during this transition.

This is the truth, everyone is making moves towards electric, its the way of the world, it has to go that way, that being said, electric cars are fast ahah, im more for the autonomous stuff tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jadis

I don't get it though. Sure, electric is cool, but why make the infotainment all touch screen with options buried within menus? Can't wait to be trying to turn on the rear defogger in traffic and having to navigate a touch screen menu. So they block the current infotainment while driving but not stuff like that on the new one?

Maybe I'm speaking too soon and they've thought of stuff like that, though. We'll see.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Anyone else notice the base golf has a 6MT?

Just like with any redesign everyone’s bashing it (think back to the 2019 Chevy Silverado). Once you’ve seen it in person to appreciate the lines I’m sure it’ll grow on you guys.

The 2019 GLI also had received so so reviews by photos, but I person I’m sold

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't get it though. Sure, electric is cool, but why make the infotainment all touch screen with options buried within menus? Can't wait to be trying to turn on the rear defogger in traffic and having to navigate a touch screen menu. So they block the current infotainment while driving but not stuff like that on the new one?

Maybe I'm speaking too soon and they've thought of stuff like that, though. We'll see.

They do it because it's inexpensive.
That's the only reason.
The shame of it is, that years ago - ergonomics and driver functional controls that fell readily to hand and could be used intuitively were the rage.
Particularly in German and Japanese cars.
Now some of these very same makes are shoving these multifunction screens in our faces while removing almost all physical controls.
And the styling on this Golf and the Tesla interiors. :eek:
Does anyone actually think a tablet looks cool?
As if we don't see enough of them.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Touchscreens are awful. There should be some sort of government rule against them. For 95% of the functions, you HAVE TO look where you are touching so you don't hit the wrong "button" which takes your eyes off the road for at least that 1 or 2 seconds you should be noticing the car in front of you slamming on the brakes.

The rest of the car doesn't look much different but the camo gives it an appearance of being longer than I'd like. But too early to tell and form an educated opinion.

But all touchscreen? No. Ugh.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Looks like the inside of a Tesla. Someone get me a bucket, i'm feeling sick.