GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the rev limiter for a gti?

MK7Blythiepoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Stupid question and I prolly should know this since I own one lmao but anyways, what is the rev limiters on our cars? I know the redline starts at 6k but what is the actual redline? Asking because I made a rookie mistake racing a ST in Mexico was blasting my music seeing how much I gapped the ST behind me and I went to shift into fourth and missed it and floored it in neutral for a good 3 seconds before realizing my car wasn’t accelerating since I couldn’t hear my engine screaming at me due to the music? when I looked at my tachometer I noticed I was just under 7k rpms this scared the crap out of me knowing redline is at 6 did I over rev my engine and possibly cause damage? My car has felt fine and still sounds just fine I’m assuming the rev limiter kept me from going over redline but still feel like an idiot for doing it and feel that I’m sketching for no reason

MK7Blythiepoo

Passed Driver's Ed

So once you hit 6800 does the ecu keep you from over reving or does the rev limiter only work when your at a stop and you want to do a launch cus I know when I’m at a stop and rev my engine the rev limiter only lets me hit 4k

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I thought it was like 7300.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
hmmm, maybe the manuals are different? Stock DSG/stage 1 shifts at 6800. Stage 2 file shifts at 7k.
Maybe I'm not sure, I dont take it that high, I have hit the limiter missing second but wasn't paying attention to the tach.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
hmmm, maybe the manuals are different? Stock DSG/stage 1 shifts at 6800. Stage 2 file shifts at 7k.

Datalogs show my 6MT reaching 7k and cutting fuel. Both stock and tuned

MK7Blythiepoo

Passed Driver's Ed
If it's not in gear I'd expect it should limit RPM. If you miss a shift it won't save you. You put that in second and let out the clutch and you can say bye bye motor. Be careful out there.

That’s what I assume too because my dad has a dsg mk7 gti and when he’s in sport and you floor it, it takes you to 6800 and holds it for a bit before it shifts when I looked at the needle I noticed it wasn’t moving once it got that high so I assume it kicks in on the manuals as well at least one can hope, but I am happy that I went into neutral instead of second if I would’ve money shifted that would’ve been a day ruiner for sure!:D makes me even more cautious now