GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh...P2004 & P2015 Manifold flaps :(

Cale262

Ready to race!
After only one week after installing my IS38 with ED ECU/TCU I fear I am going to require a new intake manifold. I really don't mind that the part fails, what I do mind is that there is no aftermarket upgrade currently available. I initially had the P2004 code the day after the turbo install and tuning but I simply cleared the code and it didn't come back until Friday evening and then I tried clearing it again but it came back right away along with P2015 so I'm taking it in tomorrow to see what they say...Car has only 10000km and I don't think it's the tuning at fault as I've been driving it very mildly as I am on my winter tires which won't hold traction anyway so no point in even trying to push the car but even if I don't think it's the tuning I doubt the dealership will feel the same...Damn, why can't there be a nice, quality upgraded option out there yet...maybe I should just park it for a few months and see what comes out.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
After only one week after installing my IS38 with ED ECU/TCU I fear I am going to require a new intake manifold. I really don't mind that the part fails, what I do mind is that there is no aftermarket upgrade currently available. I initially had the P2004 code the day after the turbo install and tuning but I simply cleared the code and it didn't come back until Friday evening and then I tried clearing it again but it came back right away along with P2015 so I'm taking it in tomorrow to see what they say...Car has only 10000km and I don't think it's the tuning at fault as I've been driving it very mildly as I am on my winter tires which won't hold traction anyway so no point in even trying to push the car but even if I don't think it's the tuning I doubt the dealership will feel the same...Damn, why can't there be a nice, quality upgraded option out there yet...maybe I should just park it for a few months and see what comes out.

Recently saw a post on the HPA intake manifold, but I'm not sure when the release date is.. :(

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I don't think it's for quite some time.

Did you check your vacuum line to your IM or maybe reseat the sensor connector? Just trying to think of anything possible for you

Cale262

Ready to race!
I don't think it's for quite some time.

Did you check your vacuum line to your IM or maybe reseat the sensor connector? Just trying to think of anything possible for you

Funny enough, that's the first thing I did after deleting the code didn't work.I am assuming it is the vacuum line that goes directly to the air intake box. Anyway, I found the hose was not connected to the air box, I plugged it back in but that didnt help...I wasn't very happy to find it wasnt plugged in, the shop that installed the IS38 forgot to plug it back in, this is very frustrating and I wish I could actually get in there to do the work myself as Im very particular about doing things properly.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep, I've been told that's the one. Sounds like you have checked the basics. Don't know personally what else works in relation with it to see if there's something else to check

Cale262

Ready to race!
Took it to the dealership today to get an unrelated recall done and of course the CEL was illuminated so they scanned the car and it looks like there is a blockage in the solenoid which wont allow the flaps to close. Of course ideally there wouldnt be any flaps there allowing a better flow as in all aftermarket replacements but for the time being I am going to have to put up with the factory system until there is an alternative. The dealership ordered the replacement part ($200) but I might have the work done elswhere since the car is currently in another shop for other, again unrelated, non-performance modifications (P3 boost line and 1000w inverter instal) also since they will be in there anyway they may as well instal the new solenoid.

Cale262

Ready to race!
So, new solenoid was replaced by the dealership...long story but the other shop was very busy and the dealership not as much but they did me a big favour by getting it done for me today, maybe because I'm a good/loyal (they've earned my loyalty) customer who is also buying a '17 TT RS from them ;)

I was going to ask the technition while I was there today but forgot...these silly flaps cause so many problems and all the aftermarket manifolds do away with them... My question is, why do they have them there to begin with...do they increase mileage or have something to do emission wise, they just really make no sense to me???

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Usually it helps with low end power. Iirc, long runners are good for torque, but short runners are better for top end. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Usually highly modified cars get rid of them because the factory switchover points (older cars it was a static point/rpm like VTEC was compared to iVTEC which advanced the cam based on multiple factors) aren't ideal. Back when I had my MR2 Turbo, I hooked up an MSD switch to manually tune the cutover point. Many people got rid of it, but there are benefits to keeping it if the system works correctly. Newer cars you can't really do this since it looks at other factors and is more difficult to tune. It's possible to on some, I just don't know about the GTI

A lot of aftermarket IMs though are designed better than the factor pieces so there usually isn't much of a loss, if any.

Cale262

Ready to race!
Thanks for the explanation 0bLiViOuS! Now I understand much better.

Cale262

Ready to race!
I emailed them just to ask after seeing this. I was told earliest preview would be next summer.. Definitely a part I wish could come sooner from anyone really

I've talked to Darryl many times in the last few months and they are indeed saying summer but I believe they are closer, while I was there and they were installing my TBE and interlock I was also talking to Marcel and he was hinting early spring...Of course Im hoping spring but it is almost a race to bring one to market as there arent any MK7 options yet, I imagine the first to release one will grab a large share of the early adopter market share.