GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler with IS38 upgrade

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Going to have an IS38 swapped into my GTI Monday. APR dealer was trying to sell me an intercooler to couple with it as well as the muffler delete. The muffler delete im pretty skeptical about because I already upped the size of the the catback.
As for the intercooler he had an APR or a Wagner intercooler for about 1K each which is utterly ridiculous IMHO. Im gunna hold on the intercooler for a little since it's still nice and cool here in NJ

Anyone running is38 have any intercooler opinions?

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Bump

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
Why not just run an R cooler?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
For $1k including installation, that's not bad IMO. Wagner's run $900 I believe.

That being said, you don't have to get it, but if you do multiple pulls or track it, it's recommended. You'll get less pressure drop and as a result, maybe a tad more power since it the turbo may have to push 1-2 less psi. Really not much tho so don't count on it.

Does anyone know the max CFM the stocker flows? I know Wagner maxes their chart out around 350cfm I think, but idk if that's what the stock maxes as.

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Why not just run an R cooler?
Probably the cheapest option compared to aftermarket. Plus its a factory piece. Im leaning this one the most at the moment
Thx for the input [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Probably the cheapest option compared to aftermarket. Plus its a factory piece. Im leaning this one the most at the moment
Thx for the input [emoji106]

Look in the classifieds and you could probably pick one up cheap. You could probably take it to a dealership and they wouldn't even notice the intercooler or turbo this way without looking lol

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Tbh, the R intercooler - while an upgrade - is not much of one over the GTI. If you're gonna get it swapped, swap to an actual upgrade like the APR one.

TMD is just snake oil, not worth it.

Justin0122

Ready to race!
This is just my curiosity but can you upgrade your intercooler, lets just say to an APR intercooler or the R intercooler, and then add a Forge FMIC up front to have even cooler air come through?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
This is just my curiosity but can you upgrade your intercooler, lets just say to an APR intercooler or the R intercooler, and then add a Forge FMIC up front to have even cooler air come through?
You can, but you'll likely have reduced performance due to the large volume you now have to pressurize each time you go off and on the boost.

The air may be cooler overall but driveability may be affected adversely.

Justin0122

Ready to race!
You can, but you'll likely have reduced performance due to the large volume you now have to pressurize each time you go off and on the boost.

That's all I needed to know, upgrading the intercooler is a better then throwing a fmic on is a better option right?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion

Forge unit when paired with a stock or R intercooler will not cause a pressure drop, its too little of an increase in volume.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Forge unit when paired with a stock or R intercooler will not cause a pressure drop, its too little of an increase in volume.

Agreed, my comment was more targeted to an aftermarket IC drop in like Wagner/APR/Uni ect.

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Agreed, my comment was more targeted to an aftermarket IC drop in like Wagner/APR/Uni ect.
Larger intercoolers = more cold air but also a possibility of pressure loss is what ive gathered from the internets.

I wouldnt do both drop in an fmic. It would be either or. The drop ins can be criticized that their placement isnt ideal compared to the fmic.

Im worried about pressure loss and more intercoolers would only exacerbate that i feel. [emoji26] [emoji21]

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
A properly designed IC will give you less pressure drop than stock. Wagner's drop is about half the stock at the same CFM.

At the end of their chart, for the same pressure drop as stock, it flows something like 200CFM more. So larger doesn't necessarily mean more drop. All depends how it's designed.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I've been running the forge unit with no issues when paired with the stock IC.

If I ever get my car back from the dealer it will be one of the first things to go back on, I noticed IATs were on average 20F hotter without the unit on the car.