GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

fitting lowering springs - and auto level HID's

vagman15

If anyone come across this - After lowering the car on eibach's i found to my amusement the HID's just gave a light like the fog lights.. i.e not really great..

you can adjust height on the lamp uits but this didn't work so well -

Turns out that you have to adjust the auto level switch on one of the rear suspension arms, by simply undoing one of the bolts and fitting a large washer and adjusting the switch so it has more travel again - it seemed to make the car think it was weighted up at the rear and sent the lights in a downward path..

remember the days when it was much easier - few screws and job done..:).

:)

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks for this. Can you provide a bit more detail? I actually broke the plastic arm on mine but rigged it back together with a screw. Which side did you put the washer on? Did you have to reset anything? Thanks

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Or you can adjust the white plastic nuts on the headlights, literally takes 30sec and you never need to get under your car.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I fixed mine with VCDS in 3 minutes. No other modifications necessary. I followed the directions posted by another member, typed in a command and the headlights raised up automatically. Anyone who is modding their VW or Audi really needs to own a VCDS cable. It will pay for itself 10x over. The headlight thing is a perfect example.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Can be adjusted in OBD11 without the need for any manual manipulations, I have done so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Turns out that you have to adjust the auto level switch on one of the rear suspension arms, by simply undoing one of the bolts and fitting a large washer and adjusting the switch so it has more travel again :)

I guess it could be done that way; however, that is not the method the maintenance manual calls for. Per manual use of ODIS (what VW tech use) or VCDS or OBD11; go into control module, select range control, then basic setting, then adjust with plastic screws on headlight (higher one is lateral and lower one is horizontal) (2" below center-line at 25' or whatever standard you use), then save basic setting. Now the new calibrated reference position is stored, just as it was initially when it left the factory.

Attachments

• headlight1 resize.jpg
    headlight1 resize.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 2,483
  • headlight3 resize.jpg
    headlight3 resize.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 2,521
Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Did you ever end up finding an updated link? Trying to find the way to do this with obdeleven.

Here is what you're looking for in VCDS or OBD11 on a mk7.5 after installing lowering springs:

Headlight Level Adaptation
Module 4B
04- Basic Settings

Select "Basic Headlamp Setting" and "Go" - headlamps will automatically self-level the aim and you'll see 'Running' in the window. It will settle around 1 to 1.5" higher than original setting - if you view against a wall you'll see better. Once it's finished self-align press 'Stop'.

Then from the same pull-down menu select "Acknowledge Basic Setting" and 'Go'. The new Basic setting has now been stored. Press 'Stop' and 'Done, Go Back'

Check for any fault codes and clear if necessary and then Close Controller and Exit.

Note: If you forget to "Acknowledge..." your 'new' alignment will not be stored and all reverts to previous/existing settings.

That should get the headlights back to the height they were at before lowering. If you're not happy with how far your lights are shinning down the road and you want to raise the height of your headlights you need to put them in service mode and then physically adjust them via the adjustment screws on the headlights. Paul from ShopDAP had a good video preforming it on an Audi but it should be the same idea on a VW.

https://youtu.be/7bnqyqN49gA