GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #103
Rcalka79
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 golf sportwagon tdi
Location: Baltimore
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3
So....I’ve been trying to get my 2015 sport wagon radio swap finished for a few weeks now. I am a vw tech so I have no problems getting component protection turned off. I have a new amp, wiring for the usb, the usb hub, infotainment unit, and display. I can’t seem to get sound out of the amp. I think I’m coding the infotainment unit wrong but I’m not sure. I looked in the previous replies and didn’t see anything....but how can I get jacks contact info. I talked to Alex at vw retrofit and he said adding CarPlay wasn’t possible but it seems like some of you have already got it working.
Rcalka79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #104
treybyday
Member
 
treybyday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
Location: Dallas, TX
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcalka79 View Post
So....Iíve been trying to get my 2015 sport wagon radio swap finished for a few weeks now. I am a vw tech so I have no problems getting component protection turned off. I have a new amp, wiring for the usb, the usb hub, infotainment unit, and display. I canít seem to get sound out of the amp. I think Iím coding the infotainment unit wrong but Iím not sure. I looked in the previous replies and didnít see anything....but how can I get jacks contact info. I talked to Alex at vw retrofit and he said adding CarPlay wasnít possible but it seems like some of you have already got it working.
Can you share your part numbers and long codings for the headunit and amp?

You can find Jack on Skype, which is how he prefers to be contacted. Username: jacekk993
He's in Poland (6 hours ahead of you), so try to time your IM's appropriately for a better chance of response. I can usually catch him around 5-6pm Poland time.
__________________
2015 GTI Autobahn 4-door DSG with Lighting Package
Mods: Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU & TCU tunes | SuperPro engine mount kit | Wagner intercooler | H&R 24mm rear sway bar
treybyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #105
Rcalka79
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 golf sportwagon tdi
Location: Baltimore
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treybyday View Post
Can you share your part numbers and long codings for the headunit and amp?

You can find Jack on Skype, which is how he prefers to be contacted. Username: jacekk993
He's in Poland (6 hours ahead of you), so try to time your IM's appropriately for a better chance of response. I can usually catch him around 5-6pm Poland time.
Very lucky today I had a wagon come in and he had already done the swap and had it all working. I copied all the coding off of his car but I left it at work. Tomorrow Iíll get all the part numbers and codes and post them. I bought all the part numbers listed in the first post. Iím theory it should work...thatís why I thing my coding is off. I still think Iím going to need jack to get CarPlay working.
Rcalka79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #106
Rcalka79
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 golf sportwagon tdi
Location: Baltimore
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3
Ok part number and coding. These are the codes I got from the car yesterday. It’s the same car I have....sportwagon se with fender.

Amp—-5q0 035 456 —-22 00 00 00 02 aa aa aa 00 00 00 00 00 00
Infotainment——3q0 035 844—02 73 02 00 00 00 00 00 51 22 00 02 00 18 00 00 1f 01 00 b4 01 20 01 00 00
Screen——3go 919 605h——I didn’t code this.
Rcalka79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #107
sprinks
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: Charlottesville VA
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 932
Interesting. I'll have to have a look at long coding to see how this translates.
__________________
wheelwell & GTI mk7 journal
I cut vinyl stickers for cheap.
my mk7 stuff on ebay
sprinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #108
ryansmk7
Senior Member
 
Drives: is38 dsg mk7
Location: south florida
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 175
So I’m working on this swap in my 2015 GTI with fender and slowly acquiring all parts. I picked up an infotainment unit online and wanted to test it before I wait too much longer. I hooked it all up with everything else still being mib1 components and it will turn on but continuously power cycle. Has anyone else seen this or might this be a defective unit?
ryansmk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 AM   #109
treybyday
Member
 
treybyday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
Location: Dallas, TX
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmk7 View Post
So Iím working on this swap in my 2015 GTI with fender and slowly acquiring all parts. I picked up an infotainment unit online and wanted to test it before I wait too much longer. I hooked it all up with everything else still being mib1 components and it will turn on but continuously power cycle. Has anyone else seen this or might this be a defective unit?
All I can tell you is that mine did not power cycle. Then again, I didn't try running it with my MIB1 gear.

Are there any fault codes present in the 5F module?
__________________
2015 GTI Autobahn 4-door DSG with Lighting Package
Mods: Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU & TCU tunes | SuperPro engine mount kit | Wagner intercooler | H&R 24mm rear sway bar
treybyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 AM   #110
ryansmk7
Senior Member
 
Drives: is38 dsg mk7
Location: south florida
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 175
I haven’t checked. Right after posting I remembered a friend has mib2 so I tried his unit and it doesn’t power cycle. Looks like this is faulty, I’ve already contacted the seller and hoping for a replacement.
ryansmk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #111
tylerf0606
Senior Member
 
tylerf0606's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Location: Waukesha, WI
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by treybyday View Post
Yeah I was worried about the same thing, so I opted to pay for a month of mobile hot spot service for my phone.
I just tried to do that, but I have a super grandfathered plan with T-Mobile and they told me nope.

Luckily, my WiFi reception was decent today so Jack was able to connect no problem.

If anyone needs a VAS5054 cable, I'll sell it for half what I paid once I'm done with it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
__________________
15' GTI S DSG LP
JB4 | IE Air Intake | CTS TIP | Eurocode TMD | IE Intercooler | BBE Turbo Back | H&R Coilovers | Powerflex Insert | Konig Rennform
17' Golf Alltrack S DSG
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #112
tylerf0606
Senior Member
 
tylerf0606's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Location: Waukesha, WI
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerf0606 View Post
I just tried to do that, but I have a super grandfathered plan with T-Mobile and they told me nope.

Luckily, my WiFi reception was decent today so Jack was able to connect no problem.

If anyone needs a VAS5054 cable, I'll sell it for half what I paid once I'm done with it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Jack was successful with removing CP and activating everything. It took about 90 minutes from start to finish. All I need now is to wire up the new harness and I'll be set.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
__________________
15' GTI S DSG LP
JB4 | IE Air Intake | CTS TIP | Eurocode TMD | IE Intercooler | BBE Turbo Back | H&R Coilovers | Powerflex Insert | Konig Rennform
17' Golf Alltrack S DSG
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #113
tylerf0606
Senior Member
 
tylerf0606's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Location: Waukesha, WI
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 237
Anyone have issues with getting Android auto to load? I'm wondering if it's a coding issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
__________________
15' GTI S DSG LP
JB4 | IE Air Intake | CTS TIP | Eurocode TMD | IE Intercooler | BBE Turbo Back | H&R Coilovers | Powerflex Insert | Konig Rennform
17' Golf Alltrack S DSG
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #114
IWMTom
Senior Member
 
IWMTom's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk7 1.6 TDI Match
Location: North East England
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerf0606 View Post
Anyone have issues with getting Android auto to load? I'm wondering if it's a coding issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Do you have the correct USB module and wiring harness?
IWMTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #115
tylerf0606
Senior Member
 
tylerf0606's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Location: Waukesha, WI
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 237
Looks like it only thinks the USB is for charging hmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerf0606 View Post
Anyone have issues with getting Android auto to load? I'm wondering if it's a coding issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
__________________
15' GTI S DSG LP
JB4 | IE Air Intake | CTS TIP | Eurocode TMD | IE Intercooler | BBE Turbo Back | H&R Coilovers | Powerflex Insert | Konig Rennform
17' Golf Alltrack S DSG
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #116
tylerf0606
Senior Member
 
tylerf0606's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Location: Waukesha, WI
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 237
I thought so. I bought the part numbers in the OP. I'm starting to think it's a wiring thing but it seems pretty difficult to mess up lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWMTom View Post
Do you have the correct USB module and wiring harness?
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
__________________
15' GTI S DSG LP
JB4 | IE Air Intake | CTS TIP | Eurocode TMD | IE Intercooler | BBE Turbo Back | H&R Coilovers | Powerflex Insert | Konig Rennform
17' Golf Alltrack S DSG
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #117
IWMTom
Senior Member
 
IWMTom's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk7 1.6 TDI Match
Location: North East England
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerf0606 View Post
I thought so. I bought the part numbers in the OP. I'm starting to think it's a wiring thing but it seems pretty difficult to mess up lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Have you coded the USB module in 5F? Byte 19 I believe.
IWMTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #118
tylerf0606
Senior Member
 
tylerf0606's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Location: Waukesha, WI
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWMTom View Post
Have you coded the USB module in 5F? Byte 19 I believe.
I have but I'll double check. Maybe it's not taking for me.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
__________________
15' GTI S DSG LP
JB4 | IE Air Intake | CTS TIP | Eurocode TMD | IE Intercooler | BBE Turbo Back | H&R Coilovers | Powerflex Insert | Konig Rennform
17' Golf Alltrack S DSG
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:41 AM   #119
IWMTom
Senior Member
 
IWMTom's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk7 1.6 TDI Match
Location: North East England
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerf0606 View Post
I have but I'll double check. Maybe it's not taking for me.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
If that's not the problem, did you have a USB/Aux module in the car before the retrofit, or did you have the MDI module?
IWMTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.