GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 AM   #1
Joviemk7

Drives: MK7 Golf 1.8T
Oil leaking on spark plugs

Im at about 47k miles and i just changed my spark plugs and i noticed a bunch of oil on the threads of cyl 1 and 4. I looked into all cylinders and theres no visible oil in either however I think the oil might have came from the top it appears to start by the valve cover gasket?? but anyway it looks like it leaked down from there and Im not sure what to do right now
Joviemk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Joviemk7

https://youtu.be/I2CSrHgADgo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Warranty the valve cover or whatever it's really called gasket.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
BravoMike

Drives: Mk7 GTI S w/PP, DCC, LP, 6MT
Your engine doesn’t have a valve cover. It’s a cylinder head cover that incorperates the top bearings for the camshaft. Also, the gasket is made by using RTV.

I had oil on one of my spark plugs as well and decided to clean it off and recheck at next oil change. Now that I hear you exhibiting this and seeing that YouTube video, I’m wondering if this will be another common problem with these cars. Granted yours is the 1.8L, but still same design for the cylinder head cover if I’m not mistaking. My car only has 18,000miles on it.
NewSouth VentPod Boost Gauge Kit ||| Enkei Fujin ||| Bridgestone RE-11 ||| VCDS - ESC OFF ||| VW Aspherical Mirrors ||| 24mm H&R RSB ||| AWE Track Catback ||| 034Motorsport Aluminum Dogbone Insert ||| ECS Shifter Bushings ||| ECS Clutch Bleeder Block ||| OEM Short Shifter ||| Cobb AccessPort||| Unitronic Intercooler
BravoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:04 AM   #5
pokeyjoe

Drives: Golf 1.8 TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMike View Post
Your engine doesnít have a valve cover. Itís a cylinder head cover that incorperates the top bearings for the camshaft.
FWIW, it's a cam cover.
pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
BravoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe View Post
FWIW, it's a cam cover.
Indeed it is, thank you for the correction.
NewSouth VentPod Boost Gauge Kit ||| Enkei Fujin ||| Bridgestone RE-11 ||| VCDS - ESC OFF ||| VW Aspherical Mirrors ||| 24mm H&R RSB ||| AWE Track Catback ||| 034Motorsport Aluminum Dogbone Insert ||| ECS Shifter Bushings ||| ECS Clutch Bleeder Block ||| OEM Short Shifter ||| Cobb AccessPort||| Unitronic Intercooler
Old 05-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Joviemk7

Any ideas on the next course of action?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
BravoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joviemk7 View Post
Any ideas on the next course of action?

Dealer visit?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
Hoon

Drives: '17 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMike View Post
Dealer visit?
That or buy a tube of RTV (something like Permatex Ultra Black) and get to work pulling that cam cover.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
tmw2442

Drives: Mk7 R
10 bucks says they tell you some extra sealant left over from initial assembly and send you on way. The sealant they use stays liquid and is a reddish color and can look like oil at first glance, you don't want to use RTV...
tmw2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:49 AM   #11
BravoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
That or buy a tube of RTV (something like Permatex Ultra Black) and get to work pulling that cam cover.
If you go this route make sure you get at least the Erwin VW manuals and know what you are getting yourself into. There is a lot connected to the cam cover and you need to release tension on the timing chain.

Like I mentioned above, the cam cover has integral bearings for the cam. Also make use a torque wrench and torque the bolts in the recommended pattern. This is something that a very capable DIYer can do, but the caveat is to not treat it like it's just a valve cover.

Edit: I just looked in the Erwin engine manual again and saw that they reference it as the Cylinder Head Cover.

Last edited by BravoMike; 05-11-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:11 AM   #12
BravoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw2442 View Post
10 bucks says they tell you some extra sealant left over from initial assembly and send you on way. The sealant they use stays liquid and is a reddish color and can look like oil at first glance, you don't want to use RTV...
What's wrong with high temp RTV? Just curious. I see VW sells their branded sealant, but the only description I see for it is "sealant".
Old 05-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #13
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
It's sealant. On two of my plugs and these are engine at 28k miles.

[/url]
Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
BravoMike

Let's assume the OP isn't stupid and knows the difference between sealant and oil.

Here is my post with the same issue. Looks nothing like your plugs and you can be sure I can tell the difference between oil and sealant.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showp...&postcount=149
Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Joviemk7

Oil leaking on spark plugs

Iím pretty sure itís oil one of the plugs have that light gold color like fresh oil

Also isnít the sealant for the top red anyway

Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #16
MK7-R

Drives: '18 .:R Tornado Red
Here are mine 1-4 after 13k miles on plugs and 25k overall on car
MK7-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #17
Joviemk7

So Iím guessing this is a normal thing? And maybe no big deal?