GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed Sport Springs

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
I’ve looked around already but couldn’t find anything that sounded like the issue I’m having so:

Had the springs installed at a shop yesterday. We didn’t replace any stock hardware since the car only has 9k miles on the clock. Wondering if anyone has an idea of what this noise could be... it’s only coming from the front passenger side

https://youtu.be/Jk6R5cmt7WQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I’ve looked around already but couldn’t find anything that sounded like the issue I’m having so:

Had the springs installed at a shop yesterday. We didn’t replace any stock hardware since the car only has 9k miles on the clock. Wondering if anyone has an idea of what this noise could be... it’s only coming from the front passenger side

https://youtu.be/Jk6R5cmt7WQ

Sounds like they didn’t tighten down the strut tower bolts.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Is that something I could easily get to myself? Kind of apprehensive to drive - I don’t want my suspension falling apart haha

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Is that something I could easily get to myself? Kind of apprehensive to drive - I don’t want my suspension falling apart haha

Absolutely. Pop the hood and you will see the strut towers on each side. Tighten down the 3 bolts. Just don’t go crazy and over-tighten. Your car isn’t going to fall apart if those bolts are a little loose.

Edit: here’s one side:

Last edited:

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Thanks so much man

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not replacing any hardware...that's problem number one, especially since there are like 100 threads/topics about that, but I digress

Double check:
-the mounts & bearings were aligned properly
-the top strut nut is tight (I'm assuming they probably used an impact, if it was a shop, which is a HUGE no no)
-
they reused the lower rubber pad on the strut perch (the spring sits on top of it)
-the strut mount bolts are tight
-the sway bar endlink nuts are tight (you'll have to remove the wheels)

Good luck

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Any particular reason why these MK7's are so prone to creaks? I've replaced suspension on older VW's with much higher mileage using the hardware it came with and there were no such noises. I don't see why with 9k on the clock...would you need to replace all the hardware.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Any particular reason why these MK7's are so prone to creaks? I've replaced suspension on older VW's with much higher mileage using the hardware it came with and there were no such noises. I don't see why with 9k on the clock...would you need to replace all the hardware.

I never said "replace all the hardware"....but at the minimum, replace the bearings or the top strut nuts (if reusing the OEM struts) or strut pinch bolts.
Per VW, any time you take the strut apart, replace the bearings. They're cheap & usually a culprit for noises/issues.

IMO, it's best to do the install once & do it right. And people that are paying a shop to do the install...well you could end up paying twice for the labor due to a cheap part failing and/or not replacing it the first time

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I never said "replace all the hardware"....but at the minimum, replace the bearings or the top strut nuts (if reusing the OEM struts) or strut pinch bolts.
Per VW, any time you take the strut apart, replace the bearings. They're cheap & usually a culprit for noises/issues.

IMO, it's best to do the install once & do it right. And people that are paying a shop to do the install...well you could end up paying twice for the labor due to a cheap part failing and/or not replacing it the first time

Listen to this guy.

My opinion, in order of probability.

Strut bearings-Bearings take a "set" and can dimple, even newer ones. Don't index them the exact same and you get noise/clunking. Buy new ones.

Strut top nuts-Shop most likely used air/impact to loosen and tighten. Loosening? Sorta ok. Tightening? Nope. Must hold strut piston in place while tightening strut nut.

Strut mount bolts-Incomplete or improper tightening can cause noise. Shock tower is like an amplification box and transmits noise VERY well. Loosen and the tighten to 15lb/ft. torque, then tighten 1/4 turn.

2 and 3 can be done yourself, 1 unfortunately needs disassembly.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Agreed it could be multiple things. Hopefully just to top mounting bolts and something the OP felt comfortable with doing.

Let us know the outcome.