GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing Dust Shields

DAS_STIG

Banned
I was planning to remove dust shields but realized I cannot find any DIY. I remember reading that the fronts are easy but rears might require brake rotor removal. Is there anything special for this besides the rotor set screw t27?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I was planning to remove dust shields but realized I cannot find any DIY. I remember reading that the fronts are easy but rears might require brake rotor removal. Is there anything special for this besides the rotor set screw t27?

Reason why?

Can help keep water off brake disc in rain.
Could also shield heat from engine so it does not add extra heat to brake disc.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Reason why?

Plan to hit track. I would also say that the engine is quite far from the brakes with a number of barriers inbetween and it not adding any heat to front brakes.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Reason why?

I cut my knuckles on those things every time I wash my wheels, so there is that ?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Fronts are easy. Hubs have to be removed for rears. From a post I wrote https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=531079&postcount=27,

"For the rears, I ran into some surprises. To remove and install the new splash shield you need to remove the wheel bearing assembly. The splash shield is not a C shape like in the front, but a hole inside the wheel bearing assembly. Have a large breaker bar as the torque to put the wheel bearing back on is 150 ft lbs plus 180°. You will need a M14 and M18 triple squares."

DAS_STIG

Banned
Fronts are easy. Hubs have to be removed for rears. From a post I wrote https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=531079&postcount=27,

"For the rears, I ran into some surprises. To remove and install the new splash shield you need to remove the wheel bearing assembly. The splash shield is not a C shape like in the front, but a hole inside the wheel bearing assembly. Have a large breaker bar as the torque to put the wheel bearing back on is 150 ft lbs plus 180°. You will need a M14 and M18 triple squares."

Wow ugh... so I guess second question is - do I really need to pull the rear dust shields considering how our cars mostly brake with the fronts on track? Because this definitely sounds like something I would rather not do.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
If your car is fwd this is true about the rears. If it’s awd, it’s like the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
GTI non-pp so guess it'll require hub removal.

Removal isn’t necessary for a tracked GTI. Nor are PP rear brakes. I have pulled the front shields and installed ducts. No issues with cooked front brakes nor any issues on the road.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Removal isn’t necessary for a tracked GTI. Nor are PP rear brakes. I have pulled the front shields and installed ducts. No issues with cooked front brakes nor any issues on the road.

This is the way I'm leaning - remove front dust shields before track days.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i removed my rear dust shields by simply cutting them off with some metal shears and a cutting tool on my dremel lol. Just gotta remember that if you (or a mechanic/new owner) needs to get in there for something else to look out for sharp edges