GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshifting DSG?

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I have an appointment next friday with the dealer. I was told by a friend to shift at 2k for 4-3 and I tried it on an off-ramp and it was smooth but a significant engine brake. I'm not sure if this is good for the car, I was heavy on the brakes though. My biggest problem is 3-2, especially for city driving.

Golfs Everyday: What rpm do you do 3-2 at and how much do you blip the throttle?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have an appointment next friday with the dealer. I was told by a friend to shift at 2k for 4-3 and I tried it on an off-ramp and it was smooth but a significant engine brake. I'm not sure if this is good for the car, I was heavy on the brakes though. My biggest problem is 3-2, especially for city driving.

Golfs Everyday: What rpm do you do 3-2 at and how much do you blip the throttle?

These post are confusing to me.
Just finished driving around and I can up shift and down shift at almost any speed or rpm and have a smooth shift. The only time I have a less than smooth ride is driving through McDonalds at low speeds. In manual mode the engine lugs similar to a manual at low speeds. Better in this situation to put back in auto. In the past some have had issues due to low DSG fluid levels. Maybe have dealer check.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I have "rough" shifting in manual mode when RPM's get lower (2k and under) and shifting while on the brakes. From what I can tell it is completely normal as there are lots of brake assists (that can be disabled) to make braking easier and quicker. That roughness is additional engine braking which causes the drivetrain to abruptly shift, causing a clunk or whatever.

Asked the dealership to check the DSG fluid level 3 times, but they always said it was normal or they couldn't replicate it, and never actually checked the fluid level. The car was in for other things as well, so I figured it would be easy for them to do. Guess not.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
OP, sorry about issue.
Hope someone is able to help out.
Sounds like some have similar issue but not something we have heard a lot about.

Thank you Sandman, I love the car and maybe I'm not used to the DSG yet/paranoid. I was planning on flashing stage 2 with dsg after warranty (parents rules) so I just want to make sure all systems operate as designed.

I feel like it is an unspoken part about the DSG, but everyone on this form has been very helpful and I have learned a lot. I'll have the dealer check the fluid and test drive with a tech so hopefully they can either find a fault if it exists or confirm it is normal behavior.

Funny thing is my dad is an attorney and represents a lot of manufactures for lemon law and I grew up working there so I am scared to be in the other shoes lol.