GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch Control and DSG abuse

Is launch control bad for your DSG?

• If it's in the owners manual, it should be used daily.

Votes: 49 20.8%
  • Only on rare occasions like driving the mother-in-law to church

Votes: 78 33.1%
  • Once every couple months or less.

Votes: 63 26.7%
  • Never, don't even try it

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • What is Launch Control?

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Regular auto uses fluid and torque converter to take up the slack so to speak. It's always in gear when stopped and foot on the brake.

The DSG is a manual but automated. When at a stop, it is not in drive if your foot is on the brake. Same as a manual car, it is in Neutral or the car would die if the clutch was engaged and you were in gear.

Launch control on DSG basically drops the clutch at whatever rpm it's set for. When your foot is on the brake, it is always in neutral though. That's why you always get a bit of hesitation when letting off the brake on a dsg.

Not sure how regular autos and launch controls work on these newer cars.

Thanks that was an easy to understand explanation. My next car will be a GTI w/DSG I hope.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
I tried it twice today in wet conditions on my winter tires. Engaged the mode properly, but when I let go of the brake, it kind of had a thud, and then just accelerated normally. Didn’t seem like a proper “launch”. It did this twice. Seemed like it just flopped.

Then I was scared and didn’t try again.

What did I do wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Anyone? Just hoping I didn’t toast my Haldex or something (I know that’s not the case - but kind of worried about the strange behavior of the failed launches).

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Jesus man - I love how helpful you always are. How about speaking from their past experience of something similar?

I saw someone else mention above that they also had this botched launch, perhaps they learned from it and can suggest what may have gone wrong.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I tried it twice today in wet conditions on my winter tires. Engaged the mode properly, but when I let go of the brake, it kind of had a thud, and then just accelerated normally. Didn’t seem like a proper “launch”. It did this twice. Seemed like it just flopped.

Then I was scared and didn’t try again.

What did I do wrong?

You are probably doing it correct, but I’m curious...are you putting the DSG to Sport mode, and disabling Traction Control? Are the revs hanging at a certain RPM, until you let off the brake?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nope. Never tried and no real desire to. As mentioned above, I'll just use sport ESC mode if I really care enough.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
You are probably doing it correct, but I’m curious...are you putting the DSG to Sport mode, and disabling Traction Control? Are the revs hanging at a certain RPM, until you let off the brake?

Yes, all of those I am doing.

Screen says “launch control program active” or something. Revs hit 3k (I think) and bounce a bit and then I let go of the brake and then there’s a thud/thump and then it accelerates hard. Didn’t seem like it really did it right.

My thought was perhaps my tires slipped and aborted the launch or something.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yes, all of those I am doing.

Screen says “launch control program active” or something. Revs hit 3k (I think) and bounce a bit and then I let go of the brake and then there’s a thud/thump and then it accelerates hard. Didn’t seem like it really did it right.

My thought was perhaps my tires slipped and aborted the launch or something.

Nope, that is launch control for you. It accelerates as quick as it can without spinning the tires. Lots of people have said it seems faster to just mash the pedal. I think the R has a higher launch control RPM than the GTI and some people have had issues with not holding the brake down hard enough, so the car won't raise the RPM's as high.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Here's Launch Control. 2018 Golf R (stock)

https://youtu.be/l_bB2-36PHM

Ok, I think I must have not had the brake down hard enough. My RPM were definitely not that high and they weren't holding, they were bouncing off perhaps 3K (now that I look at this video and recall my experience). My launch was not a launch like that but an RPM dump which felt like they went back to 0 and then started to accelerate.

I notice he's doing it in M1 too, is that just preference?

Edit: How many miles on the odo? I see your trip counter says 3K, but curious what your actual is.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
You can do LC in manual or sport modes. IIRC, i've heard of people having the engine movement and causing a clunk. What i suspect is happening is you're launching, having wheel hop, and the engine is rocking on the mounts.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, I think I must have not had the brake down hard enough. My RPM were definitely not that high and they weren't holding, they were bouncing off perhaps 3K (now that I look at this video and recall my experience). My launch was not a launch like that but an RPM dump which felt like they went back to 0 and then started to accelerate.

I notice he's doing it in M1 too, is that just preference?

Edit: How many miles on the odo? I see your trip counter says 3K, but curious what your actual is.

If you’ve got DSG you have to be in Manual mode for Launch Control to come on.

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
You can do LC in manual or sport modes. IIRC, i've heard of people having the engine movement and causing a clunk. What i suspect is happening is you're launching, having wheel hop, and the engine is rocking on the mounts.

Not with the DSG, you’ve got to be in Manual mode.