GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad dealership experience in Canada. What to do?

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Hey all, not sure exactly what to do in this situation so looking for some advice.

2 months ago I was in a minor accident. Damaged front suspension and bumper and passenger front fender. Went through insurance, decided to take it to the VW dealerships own bodyshop since I assumed they would be able to fix the car the quickest (having direct access to parts).

While the car was getting work done there I decided to see if I could get a Golf R bumper put on instead. I asked for a quote regarding pricing. They gave a rough estimate (high) but after talking it turned out there was some stuff I wouldn't need that I could reuse from my original bumper (like the centre grill). I decided to go ahead with it and gave them the part numbers for the bumper to make their life easier (and so they don't order a bunch of stuff thats not needed!)

At this point they (and insurance) said it would take 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks I get no call or anything so I call and ask what's going on and they say they are backed up. No worries... But it would have been nice if they told me so I could arrange a car (insurance only gave me a rental for the original 2 weeks).

A week later I get a call telling me that the R bumper won't fit, and it's not . a possible swap... Which I thought was wrong, as there are many people who have done it already. I did research, posted here. Triple checked. It should fit! I ask for a picture.

Its an MK7.5 Bumper! Ughhh. Ok. Another week gone. I tell them they ordered the wrong bumper, and tell them to order a bumper for 2015-2016 car. They do, at this point it's been a month. They tell me they're not going to order the trim pieces and stuff until they are 100% sure the bumper will fit. I say what ever, I can wait (going on vacation any ways).

Weeks go by I hear nothing. I'm out of the country, so I send my brother to check on my car.
Still no front bumper on the car. They tell him they found extra damage, and the radiator was also broken during the accident. Waiting on a new rad.

OK.....

More weeks go by, I'm still out of the country. Ask my brother to check on it.
STILL NOT DONE... But that's not it. They scratched my headlight (Ed's R Reps), AND are saying they want to start adding hours because this is taking too long and want to charge me 8 hours for the wrong bumper fiasco.

So to summarize. 2 months, still don't have a car. They damaged my light, AND want me to pay for 8hr of labour because of their mistakes.
They gave me 2 options.

Option 1) Ignore the 8 hours of fumbling with the wrong bumper and fix/replace the light
Option 2) Pay the 8 hours and they replace the light.

As far as I'm concerned I shouldn't have to pay any thing other than the original deductible and the cost for the R bumper like originally agreed upon.

What can I do at this point? And sorry for the long rant!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
w/o trying to insult....you said you gave them part numbers. If so maybe not their fault wrong bumper. If I misunderstood yeah they need to make it right (esp the headlight)

good luck

murtaza911

Ready to race!
w/o trying to insult....you said you gave them part numbers. If so maybe not their fault wrong bumper. If I misunderstood yeah they need to make it right (esp the headlight)

good luck

I was speaking with the service manager on the phone when giving the numbers and he said they were for the 2015-2016 Golf R.

Between him, and the bodyshop an error happened. Either way, it isn't 8 hours of labour to see the bumper is wrong. I get that I had an unconventional request, and I expect hiccups. I was (am) even willing to pay the extra cost of getting the R bumper put on.
But they damaged my head light, and are trying to get out of paying for it by making up excuses of extra labour. At this point my car still doesn't have a bumper on it :confused:.