GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Postcode problem

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anyone tell me why my Golf Discover satnav will not accept the final letter of a postcode? It just greys out. It doesn't always happen, but I can't figure out why.
I know the postcode exists because my phone map accepts it.

Thanks

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I've had this before but couldn't for the life of me explain why.

Might not be in the map database? Have you updated the maps since you bought the car in 2016? Is it a relatively new area?

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I updated a few weeks ago. My phone and a Garmin satnav both accept the postcode, so it looks as if the VW satnav is behind the times.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes, I updated a few weeks ago. My phone and a Garmin satnav both accept the postcode, so it looks as if the VW satnav is behind the times.

I haven't used the inbuilt navigation in a while but if I remember rightly you can input a full postcode by pressing a button at the top to change the input mode.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
No, I cannot find any such button. This is baffling. I have emailed VW for an explanation.

If I'm remembering correctly, when you select 'new destination' there's a little flag icon towards the top right which takes you in to an advanced address entry mode - the postcodes work correctly here.

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
I am now pretty sure what is going on. The postcode I was searching for was a new housing development. I have since been given the postcode of the old properties that were there previously and that worked. It seems VW are behind the times, but my Garmin device and maps on my iPhone both worked. Shame on VW, considering there was an update in April.

Joe-MK7

Sorry to dig up the thread.

Have you got this to work now? Same case for me, my "home address" in Preston Lancs. is actually a new build and won't recognise a post code.

Is there an update I can do from within the car or, shall I wait for it to update itself?

Thanks.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Sorry to dig up the thread.

Have you got this to work now? Same case for me, my "home address" in Preston Lancs. is actually a new build and won't recognise a post code.

Is there an update I can do from within the car or, shall I wait for it to update itself?

Thanks.

When's the last time your maps were updated?