GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Ok, i wish i never bought the firehawk indy 500.
Maybe it's the best for the money but in comparison with the those 4S are night and day.

Where do i start, much quieter - comfortable - the steering wheel more stable on higher speeds (due to this amazing sidewall). Big mistake that i went with the INDY 500 in the first place.

In a few words, buy this tire - THANK ME LATER :cool:
Good to hear that!

I'm honestly torn between the 4s and the Continental extreme sport contact. The ESCs are a great budget choice that compare favorably to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

A buddy of mine with a stage 2+ mk6 R has a set of PSSs on 19" wheels. They ride remarkably well for the size tires I believe he runs 235/35 19s.

Exactly.

I don’t see why people balk at paying an extra $250 for the PS4S over the Firehawks when you will literally be using them for 20k-30k Miles.

It’s such a small difference per mile, month or year.
Right! That's my take as well :cool:

I ruled out the Indy 500 the second I read this on Tire Rack: "but what ultimately kept the Firehawk Indy 500 from the top spot was its lack of feedback"

That, and it's a good cosmetic match for muscle cars.
I remember reading that as well. No thanks on that!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
The only slight issue I'm having with the PS4S is they rub when the suspension is heavily loaded. You can hear it if you come off an elevated part of the road too quickly or even during an aggressive tight turn.

It's subtle but it definitely happens. I'm slightly lowered on ED springs and the tires are 235/35/19 which most guys on lowering springs seem to run with no issue.

I plan to bump up the stiffness another 1/4-1/2 turn on my konis and see if it helps.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The only slight issue I'm having with the PS4S is they rub when the suspension is heavily loaded. You can hear it if you come off an elevated part of the road too quickly or even during an aggressive tight turn.

It's subtle but it definitely happens. I'm slightly lowered on ED springs and the tires are 235/35/19 which most guys on lowering springs seem to run with no issue.

I plan to bump up the stiffness another 1/4-1/2 turn on my konis and see if it helps.
What offset & size wheels are you running?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Compression stays the same. Rebound stiffer won't help. Did you remove the fender screw?

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Ok, i wish i never bought the firehawk indy 500.
Maybe it's the best for the money but in comparison with the those 4S are night and day.

Where do i start, much quieter - comfortable - the steering wheel more stable on higher speeds (due to this amazing sidewall). Big mistake that i went with the INDY 500 in the first place.

In a few words, buy this tire - THANK ME LATER :cool:

I figured, but can I recommend that you post this exact write-up on the Firestone Indy 500 thread too? I think it would a useful datapoint to those trying to save a few bucks and justify their purchase.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Switched from PSS to PS4's. Noticed very little difference in dry day to day driving. Still excellent mileage (30 mpg driving round trip to mid Maine). Love both tires. Maybe the PS4's are a little quieter. I have heard a lot about the PS4's being noticeably better in rain, but haven't hit heavy rain yet.

First track days for the PS4's will be a two day session at Lime Rock, 6/27 and 28. That will be the real test for me.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
What offset & size wheels are you running?

They're 19x8.5 et45

Compression stays the same. Rebound stiffer won't help. Did you remove the fender screw?

Good point lol that would need a spring rate adjustment, right? Of course not possible with my setup.

Can't believe I didn't do the fender screw mod yet. Thanks for the reminder! I think I just assumed they would not rub without any sort of modification.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
They're 19x8.5 et45

Good point lol that would need a spring rate adjustment, right? Of course not possible with my setup.

Can't believe I didn't do the fender screw mod yet. Thanks for the reminder! I think I just assumed they would not rub without any sort of modification.

Fender screw and tab tuck fixed me right up. I shouldn't have rubbed with my setup either. Yeah I guess stiffer springs would keep it from compressing as much, but the ride would be hella harsh. Wheels need to be able to compress into wheel well or the ride will be rough.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I figured, but can I recommend that you post this exact write-up on the Firestone Indy 500 thread too? I think it would a useful datapoint to those trying to save a few bucks and justify their purchase.

Are people seriously trying to compare the latest generation of the best all-around performance tire on the market to a tire that's one category lower (ultra-high performance vs Max) that sells for half the price? Anyone with common sense could tell you that the PS4S aren't twice the price just for the Michelin name on them. Sure, the Firestones are actually Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE003 with a different name on them (and I'm sure they've got plenty of grip, since they're sold in Australia and have to be driven upside-down), but it's not like Bridgestone don't also sell performance tires that cost as much (or more) than the P4S.

Also, I'm glad someone who has driven on both tires was able to share this tidbit with us. My last car had Michelin PSS for summer, and I absolutely loved them, but I was able to buy them for less than $500 installed at Costco, thanks to the 17" wheels my old car had. I had initially balked at the $800+ price for the P4S, but knowing (rather than suspecting) that the trade-offs are what they are, I'm now convinced I should just spend the larger sum once, instead of cheaping out now and hating myself in 10,000 miles.

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
I just replaced the OEM Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 at 1100 miles with Pilot 4S on my stock DD GTI (both 225/40/18 92 XL). I feared the 4S would ride too rough because I found the GTI's ride w/Hankooks near the limit of how harsh I like a car to ride, especially on small steep bumps. To my surprise, I find the Michelins ride as smooth or smoother in all situations.

How can this be? Same streets, same speeds, same temps, same 38psi (double checked with 2nd gauge). Could it be...the nitrogen? The install? Wishful thinking? As for wishful thinking, I know these streets REALLY well. Plus I find the 4S louder, so I'm not totally delusional (just partially delusional?).

Could the 4S actually smooth out imperfections better than the Hankooks?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I just replaced the OEM Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 at 1100 miles with Pilot 4S on my stock DD GTI (both 225/40/18 92 XL). I feared the 4S would ride too rough because I found the GTI's ride w/Hankooks near the limit of how harsh I like a car to ride, especially on small steep bumps. To my surprise, I find the Michelins ride as smooth or smoother in all situations.

How can this be? Same streets, same speeds, same temps, same 38psi (double checked with 2nd gauge). Could it be...the nitrogen? The install? Wishful thinking? As for wishful thinking, I know these streets REALLY well. Plus I find the 4S louder, so I'm not totally delusional (just partially delusional?).

Could the 4S actually smooth out imperfections better than the Hankooks?

Based on my experience with the 4S's predecessor PSS, You're not imagining things. PSS were better than the Bridgestone 760s I had before in every possible way. I think Michelin makes their tires out of magic or something.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Had the PS4S’s for about a week now.

WOW!

Well worth every dollar over the competitors.

They do everything including NVH at a high level.

pantsos

Ready to race!
Had the PS4S’s for about a week now.

WOW!

Well worth every dollar over the competitors.

They do everything including NVH at a high level.

The best street tire to have for performance and comfort - PERIOD.

Let other say that the indy 500 are comparable LOL