former GTI owner

Attachments

• Koni Sport.jpg
    Koni Sport.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 632

only1harry

Ready to race!
Hmmmm....

I pretty sure he meant most of us who race or have raced our cars call them "Yellows", and they are called that way in most other forums too. Very few call them "Sport/Sports". I hadn't seen anyone call them Sports in a long time until I came to this forum, so I used it too so people did not mistake it for Bilsteins that are also yellow.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I pretty sure he meant most of us who race or have raced our cars call them "Yellows", and they are called that way in most other forums too. Very few call them "Sport/Sports". I hadn't seen anyone call them Sports in a long time until I came to this forum, so I used it too so people did not mistake it for Bilsteins that are also yellow.

dude create another forum if I were racing Id do Sachs or Ohlins

only1harry

Ready to race!
But you are not racing, so you speak from experience then having used those shocks you mentioned? I would never recommend anything I have not used myself. If you ever raced you would know that racers do not race on OTS shocks. Many racers and those serious about winning get their shocks custom valved and built for the springs they use, AND and type of racing they do. Koni will build your shocks differently for auto-x than for track. They will build your Yellows for quicker rebound and fast transitions for auto-x, etc.

Koni and others make many different shocks for racing that cost a lot of $$. The cheaper Koni Yellows sent to Koni to be custom valved for your exact spring rates and racing type is the best and cheapest way to make you very competitive in autocross and track days. I am not talking about winning $100K races. If you are racing Pro and for money, then sure, there are many better shocks out there that also cost 5x to 8x more $, but that has nothing to do with what we are talking about, and if you must know Koni makes some excellent race shocks of various performance levels.

only1harry

Ready to race!
Don't be mad. We're still waiting to hear about how these are going to work out. You started a thread about coilovers that you don't even have mounted yet... We're just filling the time with childish banter for the fun of it. :p

Exactly :) Plus I don't think Admins or Moderators exist here. They probably only come around every few weeks, and I doubt they will lock or remove this thread or do anything. People are cursing each other out everywhere else here, and Mods are not taking any action, so we just have to try to keep the peace ourselves.

So out of good faith, since you seem to dislike Koni so much, or people who talk about racing their cars on the track or auto-x, I will not talk about those things any longer in threads that you start. I guess some of us were officially off topic, even though you said you were selling the B16 coilovers, at which point I think the Bilstein topic ended. I respect your wish as the OP of this thread and do not wish to cause any further conflict.

Harry

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
so I installed the fronts and will finish up later today....took measurements of the factory bump travel front and rear so I can match l can match after lowering...via trimming the bumpstops

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
because I leave them off to see how much bump travel I have after I installed them and there really not needed

I'd definitely go back and put dust boots on. Dust boots are like condoms, sure they're not a necessity, but all it takes is one instance for you to wish you had them. I'd never take a street driven car out without dust boots...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
so I installed the fronts and will finish up later today....took measurements of the factory bump travel front and rear so I can match l can match after lowering...via trimming the bumpstops

Is Bilstein recommending you trim the bump stops? I wouldn't recommend trimming bump stops unless you know exactly what you're doing and can trim very carefully. I have seen blown and bent shocks because of improper trimming...

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/modp-1104-the-bump-stops-here/