GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adjusting lighting package headlights after lowering car

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I followed the instructions on post 21 and I don’t think it was successful.

Lowered on DG springs last week. Vcds user (latest version). 2016 GTI (Canada). Previously removed NAR headlight restrictions (if that’s relevant)

Entered the required security code and ran “resetting of all adaptations”. This showed “finished correctly” after just a few seconds. And then “not running” after a few more seconds. Clicked “stop”.

Selected “acknowledge basic setting” and “go”, immediately displayed “ERROR: Request Sequence Error”.

I was parked on a flat surface in the garage but quite close to a wall. Not sure if the beam raised at all. Concerned it won’t stick there, because of the error above.

Any thoughts / advice?

I suppose I could just take it to someone and have the manual adjustment done.

Hey Nype, wondering if you finally got this to work. Are you using OBD11?

I removed the NAR restrictions and got to the section for readjusting the headlights but it slightly varies from VAGCOM guide. There is no "GO" button under Basic Settings. The headlights didn't dance around or anything. There is a third option called Reset All Adaptations. I was too scared to touch it. I don't want to go screwing things up I don't understand. Cant seem to pull up a guide for OBD11. Any advice?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to say, when I had my car in having new wheels installed, I asked them to manually check the headlight level. To my surprise, they said they were actually pointing a bit high, and adjusted them downwards.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Sorry to say, when I had my car in having new wheels installed, I asked them to manually check the headlight level. To my surprise, they said they were actually pointing a bit high, and adjusted them downwards.

Looking back at your prior post I see that you used VCDS. With the OBD11, it doesnt seem to do anything. That is, I assumed the lights would be physically moving around.

I did end up following these instructions for OBD11.

55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings (Run & Acknowledge Setup)
Select: Basic headlamp setting
Execute (green check)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings
Select: Acknowledge basic setting
Execute (green check)

But like I said. The lights didn't move. This seems to differ than the description when using VCDS as seen here:

Select "Basic Headlamp Setting" and "Go" - headlamps will automatically self-level the aim and you'll see 'Running' in the window. It will settle around 1 to 1.5" higher than original setting - if you view against a wall you'll see better. Once it's finished self-align press 'Stop'.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ok I found this video and it helped clarify everything for me. Looks like everything worked the way it should. For some reason I thought the lights would go through its leveling routine. It doesn't. Looks like all is good. I will measure the light beam against a wall tomorrow and hopefully it'll be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XUnNbKHx6c

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the updates. Interested to hear what your measurements tell you.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Have those with mk7.5's been able to do the headlight adaptation? VW moved it to a new module and I haven't seen anyone post new instructions applicable to the 7.5.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the updates. Interested to hear what your measurements tell you.

I checked the alignment of my headlights against a wall tonight using this guide:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

This was also useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvSWBlAwnI

Just as reminder, I'm lowered on DG springs. I didn't adjust the headlights after installing the springs and drove for a year thinking the headlight throw wasn't affected. Boy was I wrong. I removed the NAR restrictions which also includes the headlight recalibration. I can see so much farther out at night now and see so much more of the road. The beam is significantly higher which made me worry that they were aimed way too high. This prompted me to confirm the headlight aim against a wall. Im glad to say that they are pretty spot on.

According to my measurements, the axis of my bulbs are at 27" high. The beam cut off was at 25". I couldn't find any markings that indicate that my lights are VOL or VOR, but either way, the beam cutoff should be 2" below the axis for both types. Looking at the beam pattern on the wall, my lights look like VOL.

Anyway, I know this is not a precise measurement but I just wanted to confirm that my headlights aren't aimed too high and are blinding oncoming cars.