GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the clarification... I'm assuming an offset wrench then allen key on torque wrench should work fine. Kinda like whats pictured here...

That would work fine for the rears provided your wrench was offset enough. At the end of the day my socket in vice grips worked fine too.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the clarification... I'm assuming an offset wrench then allen key on torque wrench should work fine. Kinda like whats pictured here...

If it fits yes, the Allen key is not doing anything but holding while you torque as mentioned above by Demi, there many ways that you can do this job most offset wrenches will not fit , depends on the car and hardware, you can actually try what they show in you pic before doing the job, easiest way to know what you need.

Let us know if you need more info/help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Just make sure your offset wrench, shower socket, whatever, has a longer lever arm than your allen key or you'll end up torquing via the allen socket and could damage it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just chiming in here for some guidance. I have ordered a set of Konis and the US Pro Kit (Konis on back order till mid June). I am in the process of doing my research and prepping for install so I appreciate this informative thread.

I have ordered new hardware and strut bearings but I was curious if new strut mounts were absolutely necessary? If so it sounds like OEM is the way to go?

Also how does the top nut install on the Konis? I gather it is different from the stock dampers as it likely doesn't use an allen key. The reason I ask is because I want to have all the tools needed for install (looking for an excuse to buy new tools ;)

Thanks in advance!

How many miles are on your front mounts?
But yes, stick with the OEM mounts

Everyone else has covered the rear shocks.
The front struts....an 11mm socket & a 22mm offset wrench to tighten the top nut

OR the fancy 22mm socket mentioned earlier & a 11mm wrench to hold the strut rod

The top of the strut, for reference:

symbiotix

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice thanks everyone for the quick replies. I thing i will buy up a set of super deep offset wrenches (just cuz they would be good to have around), and I'll have one of the o2 sockets on standby just in case.

Front strut mounts have 24k miles on them. Probably should replace them eh? (I am definitely replacing bearings)

Thanks once again!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
No...a big zip tie around the base of the upper shock mount holds it
Just thinking, that white ring's function is probably to somewhat seal the bottom of the dust boot to keep dust from below off the shock piston.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So I think I've settled on 1.0 turns front, .75 rear. It's crazy how much variance there is on rear adjustments. Going from 1.75 turns in the rear to .75 was a massive change. 1.75 wanted to shake your teeth out, 0 wanted to buck you out of your seat, and .75 feels like Goldilocks.

BTW the easiest way to adjust the rears is to place the shock rightside up on the ground, preferably on something that won't scratch it like cardboard or a foam mat. Put your hex key in the socket and lean into the shock to fully compress it, then rotate the body of the shock with your other hand while continuing to keep the hex key pressed to adjustment depth. If you're just using a simple skinny hex key like I was with no rubberized handle, it helps to have a leather glove on that hand as you are pressing on it pretty hard to keep it depressed.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Just thinking, that white ring's function is probably to somewhat seal the bottom of the dust boot to keep dust from below off the shock piston.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
if we're talking about the ring on the soft side of the bump stop, I think it helps maintain the soft end's shape from becoming deformed as it experiences the most compression.

there is something to be said for trimming the hard end instead of the soft as the hard end trimmed is essentially "replaced" with a harder material: the top of the mount. this approach allows the softer progressive portion to survive.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
if we're talking about the ring on the soft side of the bump stop, I think it helps maintain the soft end's shape from becoming deformed as it experiences the most compression.

there is something to be said for trimming the hard end instead of the soft as the hard end trimmed is essentially "replaced" with a harder material: the top of the mount. this approach allows the softer progressive portion to survive.

That's what I first suspected when I mentioned pancaking. I think it's semantics at the end of the day, I'd rather have an overall harder bump stop than a softer one if its shorter, but it's just preference.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
I should’ve give out a bit more info, the trimmed part on the pic is the bottom part and that was left out of the shock, the upper part stayed in. If in doubt you can check for noises by compressing the shock fully and simulate bouncing on it , my car is silent now, love it

Just got around to triming mine based on the picture. Fixed my noises and the ride quality improved big time.

Sent from my XT1806 using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just got around to triming mine based on the picture. Fixed my noises and the ride quality improved big time.

Sent from my XT1806 using Tapatalk

Great man glad that it worked , hard to believe that something so simple was making that annoying noise.
It’s a plus that it is documented now and able to help other with the same issue.

DrDavid

Ready to race!
Can i use yellow koni with stock springs ?

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto