GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Surefire way to tell if speed volume IS working

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I usually drive with windows open so get a decent amount of noise in the car. Because of that I usually need the volume turned up a bit but when I come to a stop at a light and have to wait a couple minutes, the volume is usually too loud so I have to turn it down. Then back up when moving again.

So I was glad to see the R has speed sensitive volume and have toyed with it a bit but I'm not entirely sure it's actually working. So much so that I've turned it up to 11 and I'm still not sure it's changing at all.

My C6 Corvette had it but it was sound activated not speed activated - there was a microphone in the car that read the ambient noise level and raised the volume as needed. Problem with that system was it worked but was laggy and never raised or lowered the volume at the right time. Always 5 seconds too late.

In the R it doesn't seem to work at all so I'm wondering if there is any foolproof way to know for sure it's actually working. No volume indicator is visible so you can't see it rising or lowering and I really don't seem to notice it when the windows are up either so it's possible it's not functioning.

Anyone know of a good way to test? Anyone have the same experience? Or is my car the only one on which it doesn't seem to work?

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
It's speed sensitive.

I know this because I have mine turned all the way down, and it still has certain speed indexes where volume is turned up.

80 mph is one of the tiers.

I believe on the C6's it's only the Bose system that has the microphone activated one and yes it is laggy compared to the speed sensitive one.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It's speed sensitive.

I know this because I have mine turned all the way down, and it still has certain speed indexes where volume is turned up.

80 mph is one of the tiers.
So you've actually discerned a volume bump up? Do you remember if it was significant or not? The slider goes from off to 7 (why 7, must be "metric") and I've moved it back and forth and have not really heard much volume increase at all.

jpmck

Anyone know of a good way to test? Anyone have the same experience? Or is my car the only one on which it doesn't seem to work?

1. Turn the volume up at speed. (55-65 mph)
  2. Slow down. (25-35 mph)
If the volume decreases as you slow down, it's working...

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
  1. Turn the volume up at speed. (55-65 mph)
  2. Slow down. (25-35 mph)
If the volume decreases as you slow down, it's working...
That's a pretty significant speed difference. Not sure I ever go from 55 to 35 except when leaving a freeway/highway so maybe that's why I have not detected it working yet. I could hear the volume go up and down easily in the Corvette so expected a more stepped approach in a newer car. Up/down every 10MPH for example.

I'll give this a go and see how it reacts.

Thanks