GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 2.0 TDI Losing coolant quickly

tonyhlfc

Hello!

First post on here - had a search and saw people had similar issues. My golf has lost a full tank of engine coolant today - however I need to get home from work (about 30 miles). I filled it at lunch and within 10 mins it had dropped again. I've refilled it, and since, it hasn't dropped again, but the engine has been cold.

I've read online about radweld etc., and don't want to make things worse - seen both positive and negative reviews of it, so looking at what else I can do to get the car home in one piece. I tried 5 different mobile mechanics today and couldn't get anyone out, and have read that having the heaters on full may help.

I've got about 4 more litres of coolant and 1 ltr of water, so can refill if needed, but is it safe to drive it home on the motorway if i take it easy and stick to like 50/60mph and stop halfway to get coolant in again?

Any info is appreciated,

Tony

zero10

Ready to race!
Nobody can say without seeing the car and why it is leaking. If you're driving a car with a known coolant leak, don't add products designed to stop the leak because they WILL be more trouble than they are worth later. Try to find the leak, find why it is leaking, find how much it is leaking then make the decision on whether it is safe to drive. We don't even know if the engine is full of coolant or not - you say the reservoir was empty but simply refilling the reservoir does not mean the engine is also full again. Also, have you been adding straight coolant or premix? Have you been adding the correct coolant for this car? You might be in for a cooling system flush after the repairs have been made.

Having the heater on full will help tell you if your cooling system drops dangerously low (because the warm air will stop), and also helps in the situation where you have a plugged up radiator because it lets you shed the heat into the cabin.

Personally I'd get a tow to somewhere qualified to fix it. This seems like a case where trying to save a bucks just isn't worth the risk.

tonyhlfc

Thanks for the replies - got the car home, had a water pump leak. garage said it was worth doing cambelt at same time, as they were putting stuff back together they've caught one of the fuel pipes, so it was leaking diesel all over the engine bay. It's running ok, however think it's burning/steaming off the excess diesel when I'm driving it now as keep getting steam from the bonnet and sometimes through the aircon