GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

30K...Changing To Private Mechanic

adam1991

Banned
Changing the brake fluid is highly important as its hydroscopic...

from the official VW service book (workshop June 2017 ed) for the MK7 & MK7.5 Golf inc all versions

""for markets inside Europe 3yrs after first registration then every 2yrs....

for markets outside Europe every 2yrs"""...

all are Regardless of mileage...

hygroscopic

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
hygroscopic

yeah just seen that...mind you hydro is as in water...so not far of...

could have been spelt way worse with some of these programmes...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
It absolutely is. Any vehicle, 2 or 4 wheels, should have the fluid changed at regular intervals. Ever seen the inside of an OEM rubber brake hose after 10 years of the same fluid? Neither have I because they have usually burst open at that point, probably while high up on a cliff taking corners quickly. Seen it a thousand times.

My moms car at 10 years now has no brake fluid change done. My dad doesn't believe in it... I couldn't argue with it. Also our families previous TL went 12 years without brake fluid change before the transmission gave up and we got rid of it. Now they have a corolla approaching 8 years and again no fluid change lol.

They're completely wrong for not doing it, but things don't seem to go bursting.

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
Let's be honest, up until recent years we never changed brake fluid and none of my cars ended up going off the side of a mountain (or small hill here in the UK). That doesn't mean it was right but it's something we never did.
Will I change the fluid in the GTI........almost certainly as its a lot more sophisticated and times have changed.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
It absolutely is. Any vehicle, 2 or 4 wheels, should have the fluid changed at regular intervals. Ever seen the inside of an OEM rubber brake hose after 10 years of the same fluid? Neither have I because they have usually burst open at that point, probably while high up on a cliff taking corners quickly. Seen it a thousand times.

:rolleyes:

This is nonsense.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
No it isn't, there are cars driving around over 10+ years old that have never had a fluid change.

So what's your point??

Sure, some idiot may not have changed his brake fluid for 10 years. But now it's full of water, and you know why that's bad? Because brake fluid gets hot, very hot, under severe braking. And do you know what happens when there is water in your brake fluid? You lower the boiling point. Drastically. Do you know what happens when you boil your brake fluid? Go try it and find out.

Some manufacturers say every 2 years, some say 3. Definitely change it at one or the other as directed, or 2 years to be conservative even if mfr says 3.