GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket windshield?

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Aftermarket glass is definitely available now. I have no idea what hit my windshield but I came out to my car yesterday to find it cracked. I am having it replaced this Saturday with aftermarket glass for $375 out the door.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Keep in mind that OEM glass has the VW logo on it. If you trade the car in the appraiser will note this and offer you less.

fm7

Ready to race!
What?! Safelite did mine for under 400. There's definitely non-oem glass now. Had mine replaced in march-ish with the Fuyao glass.

Were you pleased with them? I have got to change mine this month to pass the state inspection. Thank you in advance for your response.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
It's worked fine for me. No leaks, ~1.5 hours in the shop and a guarantee if a problem arose. I'm approaching a year later with no issues thus far. If i get another crack in it in a few years i'll replace it with safelite once again.

fm7

Ready to race!
It's worked fine for me. No leaks, ~1.5 hours in the shop and a guarantee if a problem arose. I'm approaching a year later with no issues thus far. If i get another crack in it in a few years i'll replace it with safelite once again.

Thanks. I am getting quotes now...I may just have it done by them.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Got mine installed with aftermarket glass about 8 months ago for less than 300, no issues so far.

fm7

Ready to race!
Got mine installed with aftermarket glass about 8 months ago for less than 300, no issues so far.

I've got a couple of quotes, including Safelite...they're all above $350. This is in Charlottsville area. The original quote I got from Safelite was over $400...They lowered it to $365...I will try to get them to lower it some more...We shall see.

fm7

Ready to race!
I ended up getting it changed by Glas Doctor in Charlottsville. Total came out to $304.
They were very easy to work with, very responsive and upfront about alll the fees, etc., unlike Safelite. Total out of pocket with Safelite, after discount, would've been almost $450. Thanks all.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
Just got mine replaced yesterday, install came out good, but my lane assists is not working properly. Sucks, but oh well, I guess I have to go to the dealer know to get that recalibrated. :(

Skwangtang

Ready to race!
I am almost positive Safelite removed the original rubber trim piece here...is this going to be a problem? I asked the tech about it and he said the windshield he installed had a rubber guard on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I am almost positive Safelite removed the original rubber trim piece here...is this going to be a problem? I asked the tech about it and he said the windshield he installed had a rubber guard on it

I had a similar thing happen when I had my parents' Santa Fe windshield replaced. It looked a little off, and when I inspected up close, the rubber trim at the top had been folded behind the glass, vice hugging it like it should have.

However, ours doesn't have a rubber trim piece, at least on top, outside of the windshield:

They may have just installed the windshield a bit lower than the original, making it more noticeable.

Last edited:

fm7

Ready to race!

I had mine replaced about a month and a half ago; watched the guy doing it...there was no trim at the top of windshield. To be honest, I've never noticed the gap before my windshield got cracked. Since I got it replaced, it's a different story however...that's the first thing I see when I approach my car from the front :)
No leaks so far...

utstu

Thought I'd share this. I recently needed to replace my windshield due to a very large crack. My insurance would not cover OEM glass since my car is more than 2 years old, so I went aftermarket. Safelite came and installed it but the glass didn't fit correctly. The gap up top was pretty big and the rain sensor/rear view mirror piece wouldn't attach correctly. They came back with another windshield a few days later and had the same problem. They eventually gave up and installed the OEM glass for no additional charge. That glass, of course, fit perfectly.

I thought it was extremely bizarre that they couldn't get the proper size glass for a car model that is not rare at all.