GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 11-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
mattm3mr

Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE DSG
Hi - First time VW owner '18 GTI SE DSG

Hi all - SF based and proud new owner of a '18 GTI SE DSG in night blue. My other car is '05 Evo MR and previously E36 M3. Living in the bay area, the DSG is nice for my left leg lol.

Has anyone successfully put on an auto-dimming after buying the car? I went to the dealer and they quoted a different part number than DAP. It feels like the number of cars with brights on has increased alot.

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/ho...ion-guide.html

It says VW has 3 year/36 roadside assistance, I don't see that information anywhere in the car...is that through this VW car net or something else?

Thanks all, other than this infotainment issue, a good start in joining the VW community.
mattm3mr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
mattm3mr

Okay quick follow up on the dimming mirror, 000-072-548-B is the part number that the dealer and worldoemparts.com (not sure if this site is good or not) but DAP says 000-072-548-F is the correct part...figured I would try another dealer or two for confirmation, but seeing if anyone has had luck with DAP or worldoemparts on their accuracy. Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Hi - First time VW owner '18 GTI SE DSG

Welcome.

Be sure to use the search function. There are a few large/popular threads on this topic already, with all of the info that you will need.

Last edited by nype; 11-17-2018 at 08:49 PM.
nype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
See post #2 of this thread

Auto Dimming Review Mirror - review
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t
nype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
adam1991
Banned

Drives: GTI Mk7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu5c8uvab6...atrix.pdf?dl=0
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #6
sar316

Roadside assistance info should be with the owners manual... not related to Car-Net.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
sar316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #7
20ls01

Drives: 2018 GTI SE 6spd
000-072-548-F is the correct part number for your 2018 SE

I have a 2018 SE and that is the model i bought and fits perfect.

Someone on ebay is selling a used one for 199 obo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-VOLKSW...S!-1:rk:3:pf:0
20ls01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
mattm3mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ls01 View Post
000-072-548-F is the correct part number for your 2018 SE

I have a 2018 SE and that is the model i bought and fits perfect.

Someone on ebay is selling a used one for 199 obo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-VOLKSW...S!-1:rk:3:pf:0
Thanks for the link and looking forward to adding this thing. Did you DIY or take it in to get put on??

Will definitely use the search function to explore the site more, thanks for the welcome all.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
H2O_Doc

Iím actually MUCH happier having a non-auto dimming mirror on my S. I think my last four or so vehicles had auto dimming and none of them worked like I wanted.
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #10
Slapshot

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport DSG (bone stock!)
Have you tinted the windows yet? It’ll help a lot. I was going to do the auto dim mirror until I tinted.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
Sc629

Drives: 2015 golf 1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Iím actually MUCH happier having a non-auto dimming mirror on my S. I think my last four or so vehicles had auto dimming and none of them worked like I wanted.
I have a gentex frameless autodimming that I modified to work on VAG cars. Works exactly how I want it to
Sc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
20ls01

Drives: 2018 GTI SE 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm3mr View Post
Thanks for the link and looking forward to adding this thing. Did you DIY or take it in to get put on??

Will definitely use the search function to explore the site more, thanks for the welcome all.
Quote:

I DIY'ed it. There is a video by shopdap that shows you how to do it but it's not very thorough but will give you a great overview of what is involved. The install was harder than i thought. Removing the a-pillar panel and mirror cover was the hardest part. It was very hard to remove without excessive force and breaking clips.

Anyways, i love this mirror. I bought it for the garage door opener function but the compass and auto dimming is very nice to have. Tinting alone will not eliminate oncoming bright lights. This solved the issue and it looks great.
20ls01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
VDubb

Drives: 2018 Golf R DSG, Lapiz Blue
Quote:
Okay quick follow up on the dimming mirror, 000-072-548-B is the part number that the dealer and worldoemparts.com (not sure if this site is good or not) but DAP says 000-072-548-F is the correct part...figured I would try another dealer or two for confirmation, but seeing if anyone has had luck with DAP or worldoemparts on their accuracy. Thanks again.
The number ending in B is VW's mirror with Homelink in it. So your dealer probably assumed you wanted Homelink. They sort of made the mirror universal between the cars in 2018. They had so many different mirrors before, but now on 2018's forward they have consolidated them. The same mirror is now used in all the Golf models, Alltrack, etc.

The big difference used to be how they mounted to the windshield because they were different if you had rain sensing wipers or the camera on the windshield.

So if you do NOT want Homelink, then you would NOT get the number ending in B. The B one is the one I got from my dealer when I DID want to add Homelink.

The mirrors only contain the dimming feature, Homelink and Compass (depending which number you get). They contain nothing else related to any other systems. They were just different in the past because of the mounting differences.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:23 AM   #14
mattm3mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ls01 View Post
I DIY'ed it. There is a video by shopdap that shows you how to do it but it's not very thorough but will give you a great overview of what is involved. The install was harder than i thought. Removing the a-pillar panel and mirror cover was the hardest part. It was very hard to remove without excessive force and breaking clips.

Anyways, i love this mirror. I bought it for the garage door opener function but the compass and auto dimming is very nice to have. Tinting alone will not eliminate oncoming bright lights. This solved the issue and it looks great.
Hey thanks for the info, I'm thinking I will probably grab one but was also planning on tinting.

I see in your signature you did 35% tint, did you do that all around or just the rear passenger and hatch window? I'm also in Norcal, have heard of some cops giving tickets for having driver/passenger window tinted past a certain %.