GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
Tsi7

Drives: 2015 Golf 1.8T 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
By the time the everyday driver thinks "hmmm, the pedal is mushy", it's way way way past time to change the fluid.

He's adapted to the change gradually, and doesn't realize it's as bad as it is. A fresh driver coming in would immediately notice long before the regular driver notices.
I was just saying that Kevin's point about doing it when your rotors and pads needs replacing is probably going to be around 40 to 50k mark, which for the normal driver I would say is about the norm brakes last, and it would also equate to around 3 years of driving which would fall in place with most manufacturers maintenance schedules

An everyday driver probably has no idea what a mushy pedal is... So of course it's way past the time to change the fluid
Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #19
adam1991
Banned

Drives: GTI Mk7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6awspTQmq0
Old 11-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #20
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
For the MK7 VW states to change the fluid at 3 years/30,000 miles then every 2 years/20,000 miles.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #21
Tsi7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
For the MK7 VW states to change the fluid at 3 years/30,000 miles then every 2 years/20,000 miles.

Canadian maintenance schedule, which shouldn't be any different from the US... not sure where you got those mileage figures from

edit: here is a link to the US one, same thing as Canada

https://www.jorgevw.com/wp-content/u...-Scheduele.pdf
Old 11-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #22
Wrath And Tears

Drives: 17 Sport DSG
US book says brake fluid at the 3 year mark and every 2 years after, for the GTI. The R could be different and include mileage I guess.

Last edited by Wrath And Tears; 11-17-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #23
adam1991
Banned

You are correct. There is no mileage interval specified--only time.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #24
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Bad advice.

Terrible advice. The brakes may seem fine, until you have to make a panic stop and then the pedal goes to the floor.

Most manufacturers specify a 3 year brake fluid service interval, while BMW says every 2. I do mine every 2 years because it's cheap.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #25
Supermoto

Drives: 2015 Mk7 GTI DSG SE
Once you buy the tools it is a really easy service to do, I don't see why its not a yearly thing just for peace of mind. Just grab a beer on a lazy sunday afternoon and bleed the brakes out. I do mine every thanksgiving just to make it easy to remember. The fluid is like 15 bucks and it takes an hour of my day, I don't see the big deal.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #26
adam1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_Anigans View Post
Terrible advice. The brakes may seem fine, until you have to make a panic stop and then the pedal goes to the floor.

Most manufacturers specify a 3 year brake fluid service interval, while BMW says every 2. I do mine every 2 years because it's cheap.
No kidding.

Last year we bought, from some friends, a 10 year old Honda Odyssey with 33K on the clock. The brakes were TERRIBLE.

I just knew that he had never, ever changed the fluid. And I was right. The moment it got new fluid in there, everything was...well, was as right as a 4500 pound minivan can be.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #27
CB1111

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_Anigans View Post

Worse than terrible advice. But then braking is way too overrated.

Oddly enough, the same people who will change their oil every 2k miles and argue about if Royal Poopie is better than anSOIL or whatnot, are the same people who think that it isn't necessary to change out brake fluid.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #28
AspektZA

Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Fluid should be changed every 2 years, regardless of milage.

Dot 4 LV is factory fill, and recommended for today's advanced ESC/ABS systems.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/dot...-liter-1224116
Old 11-17-2018, 11:44 PM   #29
adam1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1111 View Post
Worse than terrible advice. But then braking is way too overrated.

Oddly enough, the same people who will change their oil every 2k miles and argue about if Royal Poopie is better than anSOIL or whatnot, are the same people who think that it isn't necessary to change out brake fluid.
HA!
Old 11-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #30
kevinkar

Drives: 2018 Golf R
As is common, the usual cast of characters here disagree with anything that is not what they believe is correct and completely disregard real-world results as well as point to the owner's manual as the word of God as if disregarding the OM the day after you hit a specific time or mileage causes the car to blow up. That's not how the world works.

If a car is stopping properly and the pedal is not mushy (also indicative of air in the system) there's not enough water in the fluid to require a change. Unless it's also time to change brake pads and/or rotors, there's no need to do this service even if recommended in the manual.

Though, if you're under warranty and could be denied free service on the brake system, that might be a reason to do the service even if not necessary. Otherwise, if the brakes are working properly, they are working properly. Unnecessary service, even if cheap, is unnecessary service.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:36 AM   #31
c72k

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
As is common, the usual cast of characters here disagree with anything that is not what they believe is correct and completely disregard real-world results as well as point to the owner's manual as the word of God as if disregarding the OM the day after you hit a specific time or mileage causes the car to blow up. That's not how the world works.

If a car is stopping properly and the pedal is not mushy (also indicative of air in the system) there's not enough water in the fluid to require a change. Unless it's also time to change brake pads and/or rotors, there's no need to do this service even if recommended in the manual.

Though, if you're under warranty and could be denied free service on the brake system, that might be a reason to do the service even if not necessary. Otherwise, if the brakes are working properly, they are working properly. Unnecessary service, even if cheap, is unnecessary service.
Iím assuming that you don't change your timing belt until it snaps either.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #32
adam1991
Banned

Quote:
And no one said that, either. But thanks for the hyperbole as you attempt, desperately, to remain relevant in this conversation.

Quote:

Bad advice from a disgruntled person.

Strike that--HORRIBLE advice. Still from a disgruntled person who's unhappy that his advice was outed as being bad.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #33
adam1991
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by c72k View Post
Iím assuming that you don't change your timing belt until it snaps either.
HA!

But no doubt he changes his oil at every gas fill up, because hey, "oil is cheap" and "you can't be too careful".
Old 11-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #34
Tsi7

Quote:

With this argument you just made, your first point doesn't make any sense. Why do you even bother doing it when you change your pads and rotors? By your logic, if the car is stopping fine, even if you are replacing pads and rotors, there is no reason to spend the extra time if it is absolutely unnecessary...

The only reason I thought you made a good point originally was as I said, the chances are very likely that your brake pad and rotor replacement aligns with the 3 year mark that most manufacturers recommend... regardless of the matter, I still do believe you should do it every 2 or 3 years, whatever is recommended

Closed Thread