GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swaybar Bushing Install

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I vote yes.
Might be easier to loosen end link bolts but maybe not remove. Try first tightened then see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Yes, I think I may loosen the endlink bolts, but maaan do I not want to pull the whole sway bar out (I'm too lazy).

Should just have to be able to pull bar back from mounting position 1 inch or so. Did they give you lube for pushing when you install?

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
I’d be a little surprised if you can get the brackets off the bushings without removing the bar first. I guess it’s possible if you can get enough leverage somehow, but they are TIGHT. I had to use a hammer to get mine off the bushings.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I’d be a little surprised if you can get the brackets off the bushings without removing the bar first. I guess it’s possible if you can get enough leverage somehow, but they are TIGHT. I had to use a hammer to get mine off the bushings.

Good point.
OP are these OE bushings?
If so why replace the bushings?
Easy to just do the entire bar and end links. Upgrade.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
No. I have an ST bar with its bushings. One of the bushings is done.
Good point.
OP are these OE bushings?
If so why replace the bushings?
Easy to just do the entire bar and end links. Upgrade.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

I'd give it a try.
Might need some strong arm to get it off then. Might not be bad.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

In my case the bushing has a tear in it, and I hypothesize that I can pull it off the sway bar without much of a problem after I undo the screws connecting the bracket to the body (but maybe not). I'll see as I go along. My original question was about the feasibility of leaving the bar in place -- I do not know how strongly loaded it is in its installed position, and how difficult it is to remove it without a lift (I am going to put the rear of the car on ramps as I'm doing this at home).

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Now that I mention putting the car on ramps, would it be better to put it on jack stands so that the wheels are not actually resting on a surface? Would an unloaded suspension make it easier to remove the bushings/brackets/sway bar? (I feel like I already answered that very question :))

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Stupid question, but you're talking abiut the two brackets with rubber inserts that bolt the bar to the frame, right? Not the end links at all, yes?

If so, then with the ST versions (I just installed one a month ago) Iirc, you should definitely be able to get them off and new ones on with the ends still bolted in if the suspension is unloaded (stands, not ramps).

The rubber they used is super soft and should be easy to peel off the bar. If it were the oem ones, then yea you might have a big hassle.

Then if you really wanted to you could do final tighten down with suspension compressed (put wood blocks under wheels and lower).

A very long extension on an impact gun will help (for so many things). I think I used a 12" wobble on mine.