GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM tires on 2018 R in areas where it snows?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
They are summer tires. I got a brand new set of 2018 GTI Dallas wheels on here for 600.00 bucks and put on Michelin Xice3's and I am set. So for under 1500,00 bucks you are set for winter.

Just get a winter set.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The best setup is 16" or 17" wheels. I think a smaller diameter tires are better because there's little tire clearance with standard wheels and tires.

ADVNTURR

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a set of 18" wheels off an Audi A3 18" will they fit the Golf R for the winter tires?

Yes, the A3 18's should fit fine on your R. If you're going to run 18's I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's unless you live someplace that doesn't plow or gets a lot of ice then maybe some X-Ice/Blizzaks or even some Nokians if you have a dealer.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yeah, 17"s will clear the calipers, some of them anyway, but not 16"s.

I see. Must have been my MK5 with the smaller brakes I was thinking about.

OP, you spent over $40K for that new R, you should be able to afford about $1K for snows and winter wheels.

When I lived in the Northeast with my MK4 and MK5 I had a lot of slush build up in the inner fenders. There's so little clearance on the R I figured it would be even worse.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
I put my snows (Michelin X Ice) on the oem 18" Cadiz wheels, have gone through 2 Chicago winters that way with no build up issues in the wheel wells.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Nokian all the way!! Get them on tiresbyweb.com. I live in Maine and we have awesome winters! If you want you and yours to be safe, not wad up an expensive car and get to where you want to go Why in hell would you not spend 1-1200$ on dedicated 17” setup!
Unless you enjoy white knuckle, sphincter clenching yee haws sliding off the road!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Nokian all the way!! Get them on tiresbyweb.com. I live in Maine and we have awesome winters! If you want you and yours to be safe, not wad up an expensive car and get to where you want to go Why in hell would you not spend 1-1200$ on dedicated 17” setup!
Unless you enjoy white knuckle, sphincter clenching yee haws sliding off the road!

Yeah, northern Vermont here. Keeping a set of downsized winter wheels/tires and swapping them on in November has made winter driving much less stressful.

cb1111

Unless you enjoy white knuckle, sphincter clenching yee haws sliding off the road,waiting for an ambulance and/or tow, calling the insurance, driving a loaner and waiting for the body shop to order parts
Fixed it for you. Here's an interesting link.

arvidj

My schedule has always been, winters on by Thanksgiving, and summers on by Easter.

New here but thought I would add my two cents anyway.

+1 on the timing.

Have a 2018 R with the Continental tires. Saw the first very minor snow in Minnesota, about a half inch of wet stuff. Took the car to the store and on the way back slid past the driveway. Steering inputs were being ignored.

When I did get it in the garage I removed the 235x35x19 Continentals and installed the 225x45x17 Michelin Ice xi3's I had ordered from Tire Rack.

Wish I had done more research before somewhat blindly following the Tire Rack recommended wheel and tire package. The Continentals are listed as 816 revolutions per mile [rpm]. The 225x45x17 are listed as 833 rpm and as such the 'low tire pressure' came on and the speedometer seemed to be off.

Resolved the 'low tire pressure' issue by following the recommendations on the console but still think the speedometer is off ... reading faster than what I think we are actually going.

Had I done more research I would have gotten 215x50x17 which is (a) 815 rpm ... Continental value ... and (b) a narrower and taller tire, which I feel would be better for winter driving.

Anyway, it currently is what it is, speedometer error and all.

Anyone know how to tell the system that the tire size has changed? Or, rather than brute force 'telling it the whiles are smaller', it maybe it is smart enough to figure it out on its own based on GPS speed vs 'wheel rotation calculated speed' and adjust the displayed speed over time?

The other challenge is coming up with the correct tire pressure for the winter tires. Tire Rack says 'look on the manufacturers sticker on the door'. I say 'it doesn't list a setting for the tire and wheel size combination your website recommended. They say 'look on the manuf...' You see a pattern here?

Being a pessimist I am assuming Volkswagen will respond with 'you are using an unauthorized wheel and tire combination' and Michelin will like wise provide a litigation avoidance response of 'ask the vehicle manufacturer'. I had them at 35 and the wife thought the ride was great but I was concerned it was way below the 39 for the Continentals. I went to 38 and the wife thought it now has the same terrible ride the other cars have ['15 Scion FRS with TRD springs and swaybars and a '93 MR2 turbo] so I am looking for suggestions as to what, from an objective perspective, might be the correct pressure for ugly weather handling and tire life.

Thanks,
Arvid