GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM tires on 2018 R in areas where it snows?

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I'm shopping for a new R to replace my 2012 GTI. I was wondering... All the specs I've found say that the OEM tires are Continental ContiSportContacts, which are summer tires. Does anyone know if that's true in snow country as well, or do they outfit these cars with different tires depending on the region?

I'd be a little bummed to buy a brand new car and immediately have to drop money on new tires, but I guess that might be the price of admission.

Thanks!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
You may get a different brand, but yeah it'll definitely be summer tires.

Yep i bought my car end of September, had the 19s on for a month before swapping to winters.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Rs (in US) comes with summer tires from the factory.

If you swap the OEM tires right after taking delivery, you might be able to sell those for a good price. Many people here have done the same.

CanadianR

Passed Driver's Ed
Here in Canada they come with summers. You're definitely taking your life into your own hands trying to drive on those in anything close to snow.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Do not run the summer tires in the winter in New England. I bought my R in early January, 2016. My snows and winter rims were still on the way from Tire Rack, and so the first week I had the car I had no choice but to suffer through some light snowfall and really cold temps with the stock tires. That was hairy; even with AWD, the mismatch of tire and season made me very aware of the laws of physics, every time I had to drive. Once the Michelin x-Ice snows went on, though, no problems at all.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'd be a little bummed to buy a brand new car and immediately have to drop money on new tires, but I guess that might be the price of admission.

As my old friend Billy the Porsche salesman (RIP) was fond of saying, "you have to be a sport to own a sports car."

The 2nd thing I bought for my GTI last year was a set of winter wheels and tires, because I wouldn't even bother with all-seasons in the snow. Spend a few bucks, get a spare set of wheels with winter tires, and when the snow is coming down hard, drive past the SUVs on A/S tires that slid off the road and are stuck in a ditch.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My two cents: I only have my stock rims but switch to winter tires (not all-seasons) once temps are in the 40s and below, or before the first snow, whichever comes first. I switch back to summer tires once temps are regularly in the 50's (and up).

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have 4 set of wheels/tires here in SoCal between motorsports and daily. You’re complaining about having 2 sets in weather ranging from -10 to 100 degrees for daily driving? AWD isn’t bulletproof, multiple rubbers are your best friend! You dont wear sandles in the snow do you? At least you have snow, wish I had a reason the get a 5th set.

Last edited:

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Drove those tires on my R in a Colorado winter. Scariest car I’ve ever driven in snow and I came from an M3. I got stuck on a “hill” one time as well and the car just started sliding sideways. Ugh.

Now I have continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
a set of tires/rims is way cheaper than any fender bender....I would get a 2nd set and swap out as already mentioned.