GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
If you were getting your oil changed at an independent shop, would you expect them to drain from the plug or would you say that sucking it up from the dip stick is acceptable?
Theres tons of thread about this. They all end in arguments and nobody agrees on an answer. I use an extractor, I don't have an issue with it. All comes down to what you think is best for your car. If a few teaspoons of old oil don't come out, I'm fine by it.
And in one of those threads, I'm pretty sure I recall someone saying their dash cam saw the VW dealer tech using an oil extractor.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
If you were getting your oil changed at an independent shop, would you expect them to drain from the plug or would you say that sucking it up from the dip stick is acceptable?
pumps seem to be a VW/Audi thing....I doubt it matters enough to prove either way.

unless it's a DSG running Non-Top Tier Premium fuel. ;)

gotta brag just got back from a 500+ mile road trip many back roads on way up to and in VT and 150 miles on main hwy at 70-80 mph back = 34.7 mpg math

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
pumps seem to be a VW/Audi thing....I doubt it matters enough to prove either way.

gotta brag just got back from a 500+ mile road trip many back roads on way up to and in VT and 150 miles on main hwy at 70-80 mph back = 34.7 mpg math
God forbid you dont drive a manual or like to have the soundaktor on haha. Especially if you break in your engine above 2k RPM and change the oil at the 10k mark. All sins punishable by death. Right next to pumping oil

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

MBZ factory instructions have been to use an oil extractor since the 90s. The dipstick tube is designed to not need a straw. Our shop extractor just plugs right in to the tube. Crazy Germans.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Currently getting a vibration around 75mph. It was slightly worse with spacers, took them off, still doing it. Should I have the wheel re-balanced? I’m pretty sure that’s it’s driver front. Or do I need to consider the whee bearing?

Did check the torque of your bolts? I had a vibration issue after rotating tires and it was a loose bolt. Tightened it up once and never loosened again going on 5K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesup16

Cleaning the plastic of the cluster. What would you recommend that won't scratch it?

Was thinking of going at it with compressed air to get loose stuff, and a fine paint brush and get the stuck on, but would require extreme light brushing, or clear scotch tape around the finger and light dabbing.

Look up AMMO NYC on youtube... some of the best detailing vid's out there. I use his "lather" product and microfiber for most the interior.

Do not brush anything on scratch-able surface (paint, glass, plastic, etc) without some sort of lubricant. You might as well be using sand paper at that point.

FYI, Rag Company or Obsessed Garage for great microfiber deals/quality. Obsessed garage has a good youtube channel, too... very detailed.

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I hear a little rattle/hissing noise when accelerating at lower gears. Is that the turbo kicking in or could it be something else?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Cleaning the plastic of the cluster. What would you recommend that won't scratch it?

Plexus. Amazon has it, motorcycle shops have it - commonly used for cleaning windshields and face shields by bikers. GREAT stuff, though pricey.

http://a.co/d/iCj5ge7

On my cluster I use a light amount and wipe it with a cloth that's made for eyeglass cleaning. Regular microfiber will still scratch up your cluster with super fine scratches. Avoid it! I don't know what kind of stupid easily scratchable plastic that VW seems to mandate the cluster OEMs to use, but this has been a problem as long as I can remember. Meanwhile my BMW clusters have always been super durable - use anything on them, and you never see fine scratches. Weird and annoying.

terp_man

Passed Driver's Ed
Here’s a stupid question: I just bought BC Racing coilovers for my mk7...(20k on the odometer). What, if anything else should I be replacing to make sure the installation goes smoothly and correctly the first time. Thanks in advance fam

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Here’s a stupid question: I just bought BC Racing coilovers for my mk7...(20k on the odometer). What, if anything else should I be replacing to make sure the installation goes smoothly and correctly the first time. Thanks in advance fam

I would say strut mounts and bearings.

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R
Picked up a 2016 SE with the lighting package on Saturday! Nicest car I've ever owned. A couple questions. I have the MT, why does it display 3->4, 4->5, 5->6 sometimes? Where I live 87 is the only thing available. It's a 1.5 hour drive to 91/93. Are there any tunes available for 87? I realize it's not ideal but it's all I have to work with.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
recomended shifts (mostly based for mpg) not sure about 87 tunes but 87 is all you need. there will be a bit of a HP bump with premium.

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R
recomended shifts (mostly based for mpg) not sure about 87 tunes but 87 is all you need. there will be a bit of a HP bump with premium.

Cool, that's kind of what I was thinking. It's still easily the fastest car I've ever driven, so not in a huge rush to upgrade but still looking for ways to get a little more power out of it. Picked up a clutch stop already and am considering a boomba shift knob to make the MT a little nicer. The stock one is reminiscent of my 72 Chevy 4 on the floor.

Last edited: