GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I consider the 2015 R?

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
You buy an R over a Type R/RS/STI etc because its cabin is a much nicer place to spend time. With that said, you will be kicking yourself if you can afford the '16 but end up with a '15 because of the infotainment alone.

I've had a 2015 since they came ashore and have had no serious issues with it. I've never understood what the concerns were over the MIB I infotainment that came with the car were all about.

Al, you're likely the exception here.

I have a 2015 and am familiar with the 2016 (G7Rules and I have driven one another's cars a couple of times). The only reason I'd buy a 2015 at this point would be for either (a) financial constraints, (b) to turn the 2015 into a stripped out track car whose electronics were of no further concern.

My 2015's central display now seems almost comically small, and its sluggishness is a constant, albeit low grade, annoyance.

Are any 15s not ragged out? Uh, no.

Uh yeah. Not that it's for sale, but my 2015 has just under 19K miles and is in excellent shape.

Neil

G7Rules

Ready to race!
Al, you're likely the exception here.

I have a 2015 and am familiar with the 2016 (G7Rules and I have driven one another's cars a couple of times). The only reason I'd buy a 2015 at this point would be for either (a) financial constraints, (b) to turn the 2015 into a stripped out track car whose electronics were of no further concern.

My 2015's central display now seems almost comically small, and its sluggishness is a constant, albeit low grade, annoyance.

Uh yeah. Not that it's for sale, but my 2015 has just under 19K miles and is in excellent shape.

Neil

QFT. There are definitely some '15 Rs out there worth buying. I can vouch for Neil's R but if you're buying an unknown make sure they have thorough maintenance records.

scottycruz

I bought a 2015 R DCC. Coming from a 16 GLI the infotainment was a huge downgrade lol but the driving experience makes up for it. Urozonetuning sells MIBI to MIB2 retrofit kits if you really want to fix that. Only thing I really do miss is blind spot monitoring and the rear traffic alert. I had Adaptive cruise control before on my Acura and Infinitis and don't really like it much. It was annoying on long road trips for me when trying to pass slower cars and maintain the steady speed you want so I would just leave that off.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
I have a 2015 and sure, the infotainment isn't as good as the 2016 and above but how much are you really on it anyways?

I use it to listen to music only.

Mine is close to four years old and probably has another 4 years in my possession at least. When it comes to selling, no one will be paying substantially more money for a 16 over a 15 at that point.

Just my 2 cents.

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
As someone who owns a 2015, I'd say go for a 16 or 17 just for the Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Do I miss not having it? No, but that's because I never had it. Yeah, the infortainment screen is a slightly smaller, but overall it's very manageable. It can be a slippery slope when you start comparing what a newer model year has over last years model.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
You might want to double check that too. From what I am aware and have read on here there is no way to upgrade a 2015 to MIB2. Eurozone doesn’t even have the 2015s listed as compatible on their website for their package.

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
You might want to double check that too. From what I am aware and have read on here there is no way to upgrade a 2015 to MIB2. Eurozone doesn’t even have the 2015s listed as compatible on their website for their package.

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I think you have to source the parts from several different places, and it involves a trip to the dealer for a flash as well I think. I looked into it, but all the technical steps made my head spin LOL

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

It is absolutely possible. 2016s and on had MIB2's. So the only model year that CAN do a MIB2 swap is a 2015, as they're the only one's that don't already come with it. lol

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
It is absolutely possible. 2016s and on had MIB2's. So the only model year that CAN do a MIB2 swap is a 2015, as they're the only one's that don't already come with it. lol

Yeah, also might have some luck buying a used MIB2 display+guts from a totaled 16/17. Last price i saw was $700

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I wouldn't. The first year of a model generation is usually the worst.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
I stand corrected then. I just recalled reading this comment from a thread in the infotainment section recently.

For a 2015, there isn’t a factory option that I have found. With the quality of the factory VE units to start with, we are better off going aftermarket. Will cost the same as the factory swap, but is not reliant on the factory programming to make it all work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the massive diy George Ab posted long ago and spaced on it.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
'15 or newer, I'd be far more concerned about prior tuning and care than the infotainment system.