GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for advice. Dealership won't cover paint defect.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Background info:
  • Model: 2015 GTI Autobahn with Lighting Package
  • Purchased used (CPO) in May 2016 from Ancira Volkswagen in San Antonio, TX (car had 24k miles on it at the time)
  • Extended the "bumper to bumper" CPO warranty coverage to 5 years / 100k miles

Around this time last year I started to notice a separation between the clear coat and underlying paint directly in front of the sunroof. Saw other posts about the same thing (here and here), so decided to bring it to the dealer to have it repainted or have the whole surrounding plastic piece replaced. On two separate visits, my go-to tech took a firm stance in saying that the peeling paint would not be covered under warranty because his Service Manager (whom I've never met) believes the car has been painted before. Well, it has been painted before. But just the rear bumper and rear-right fender (I backed up into the side of the garage one night. Not proud of it). His other claim was that "There's also one spot on the passenger side of the roof near the sunroof panel that it's clear there is a depression in the clear coat." Not sure what that means, and can't seem to see what he's talking about.

Other excuses he used included:
  • Previous owner may have had a roof rack on
  • Previous owner may have repainted the roof

But it was CPO... None of that should matter, right?

Here are the pics I took in November of last year:

20171113_205941.jpg

20171113_205932.jpg

It's gotten worse. Here's how it looks now:

20180819_155039.jpg

20180819_155347.jpg

So far I've attempted exactly once to call Volkwsagen Customer Care, but hung up after the automated message said the wait time would be over 2 hours. Should I try a different dealership? Reach out to the dealership where I purchased it from? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
It’s not uncommon for body shops to blend panels and proceed to wet sand and polish, even though it can far fetched that they would have to go that far, that is an odd location for the factory paint to peel. And regardless CPO warranty’s will usually not cover paint defects

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Just took a closer look at the warranty paperwork. Paint is indeed listed under the exclusion category. What a bummer. Thanks guys for your time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just took a closer look at the warranty paperwork. Paint is indeed listed under the exclusion category. What a bummer. Thanks guys for your time.

I had a CPO some years ago. I didn't think they decided to cover paint defects now. Perhaps if you're within the basic 3/36 warranty VWoA might work something out with you.

cb1111

Go to a body shop and ask them what caused the problem and what it takes to fix it.

Service guys have no clue about paint, so a body shop is your best bet.

Come back here and tell us what they said and we'll see if we can give you advice.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
That is such a bummer... Hopefully it all works out well, I am interested to see the findings.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Go to a body shop and ask them what caused the problem and what it takes to fix it.

Come back here and tell us what they said and we'll see if we can give you advice.

This.

Also, is it possible to see a CarFax? Was there any documented work done by a shop on there? Perhaps you could contact the shop if so?

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
I would press hard on the dealer. While it may be out of warranty, the dealer should step up on this. I had a similar issue. Bought my R CPO with 16K miles on it. About 6 months later the clear coat started peeling/flaking at the lower passenger door/rocker. Took it to the closest dealer who said the car had been repainted and they weren't touching it. Took it back to the dealer I purchased from and after showing them what was going on they had those areas repainted. The dealer played dumb and said they had no idea the car was repainted and they bought it CPO from VW auction and didn't CPO it themselves so I guess one of two scenarios really happened: 1) They bought it at auction and for whatever reason had the car repainted or 2)They bought it at auction already repainted and never inspected the car and sold it CPO as is. If the dealer hadn't fixed my issue I was going to take a case up with VWOA.

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed

Will do. There's a Service King nearby that's done decent work for me previously. I'll see what they say.

I would press hard on the dealer. While it may be out of warranty, the dealer should step up on this.

I think I've already gone as far as I can with my current Service Center. I'll go to another one and get a second opinion. Will also start the VWOA process.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I was able to reference two other occurrences of this exact problem (with pictures!) and yet they still said nope.

Will report back!

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
YES! I've ran across other instances of what is happening to you as well when I was searching for mk7 paint issues during my issue. I believe one of the cases I saw was in the middle east and the clear coat on their roof looked just like yours from the sun/heat literally baking it off.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
YES! I've ran across other instances of what is happening to you as well when I was searching for mk7 paint issues during my issue. I believe one of the cases I saw was in the middle east and the clear coat on their roof looked just like yours from the sun/heat literally baking it off.

We see that all the time here in Arizona. But it doesn't look like that and it usually doesn't happen to youngish cars.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI

That part isn't painted it's plastic and it's delaminating. There is nothing to blend in to fix. The whole sunroof surround has to be replaced to repair that part.