GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Part number for Sportwagen 4Motion front steering knuckle (US)

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
I know that this question has been addressed in passing in other threads but I am finding conflicting information. I plan to install Golf R front brakes on my 4Motion Sportwagen this week. Does anyone have definitive information as to whether the US-market 4Motion wagen has the aluminum 55-mm steering knuckle that comes with the Alltrack and GTI (parts # 5Q0-407-254-A and 5Q0-407-253-A) or the cast iron 50-mm part from the regular Golf (parts # 5Q0407255Q and 5Q0407256Q)?

VWPartsVortex shows the larger aluminum knuckle on the 4Motion and the smaller cast-iron part on the FWD Golf: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/auto-...ont-suspension-cat/suspension-components-scat.

Thanks in advance.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am quite certain that the AWD sport wagons even in non "R" spec are alu 55mm struts....

However if I am wrong it makes no difference to the brake fitment as the bolt hole spacing etc is that same...so a straight fit....

If you do have the iron 50mm hub carrier (knuckle) & fit "R" brakes do NOT use the hub carrier to brake carrier bracket bolts from the "R" (alu hub carrier)...this is because the alu hub carrier is thicker on the rear face so the bolts are longer...so reuse the shorter bolts from the iron hub carrier...

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, golfdave. That info squares with what I'm seeing from parts searches, although in threads on this forum and on vortex folks seem pretty adamant that the Alltrack has the aluminum knuckles while the AWD GSW does not. I will find out for sure when I upgrade the brakes later this week.

ME_VT

Thanks, golfdave. That info squares with what I'm seeing from parts searches, although in threads on this forum and on vortex folks seem pretty adamant that the Alltrack has the aluminum knuckles while the AWD GSW does not. I will find out for sure when I upgrade the brakes later this week.

I'm trying to decide between Alltrack and GSW and my research on other threads/forums had led me to the conclusion that the GSW did have 50mm struts while alltrack had 55mm. I don't think this really makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, but who knows.

I would love to be wrong and find out they're both 55mm. I prefer the GSW styling, but the ability to use Golf R dampers/springs on the Alltrack is tempting.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Alltrack - 55mm and aluminum
GSW 4mo - 50mm and steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
I took my car to my trusted shop today. They did an ETKA lookup with my car's VIN. According to that info, the GSW 4Motion does use the 50mm strut rather than the 55mm one. So that's disappointing.

They're going to install the R brakes on Monday, and I'll verify the knuckle/strut situation visually then.