GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
DrDavid
Senior Member
 
Drives: VW Golf GTi MK7 DSG 2017
Location: Argentina
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 168
DSG service method....

i have seen a lot of videos (youtube) about the dsg service.... but i really have a big question....

for example, in this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ink6ZpYqPQk

If you already put de air filter the gearbox is cloused. The air inside the box is compressed ? when you put oil by de drain plug where did the air go ?
__________________
MK7 GTI 2017 / ED Stage 2 93Oct / DSG ED Tune/ Downpipe / KyN Panel Filter / Muffler Delete / 034 Aluminum Dogbone
DrDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
SugarMouth
Senior Member
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
Location: Broomfield, CO
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
i have seen a lot of videos (youtube) about the dsg service.... but i really have a big question....

for example, in this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ink6ZpYqPQk

If you already put de air filter the gearbox is cloused. The air inside the box is compressed ? when you put oil by de drain plug where did the air go ?
Open filter, drain tranny, fill through open filter, close filter.

Done.
__________________
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG | FBO | Littco L450
SugarMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Ecapskcab
Member
 
Drives: MKVII GTI
Location: COLORADO
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 94
4.7l is the magic number if you change on a level surface and do not choose to do the overflow method by putting extra and letting it flow out.

I did the service about 500 miles ago and filled from the top using a little blue funnel placed in the gap from the top. Takes a while to get the fluid to go in, much longer than a typical oil change. The service overall is pretty easy and worth the savings. I live in the UK and was quoted 328 British pounds at the local dealership and that was with the supplied oils and filter.

Definitely do not need to fill from the bottom using the plastic tubes in the shop dap kit. I purchased the kit without and had no issues. GL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
i have seen a lot of videos (youtube) about the dsg service.... but i really have a big question....

for example, in this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ink6ZpYqPQk

If you already put de air filter the gearbox is cloused. The air inside the box is compressed ? when you put oil by de drain plug where did the air go ?
Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ecapskcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #4
EmmKay11945
Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecapskcab View Post
4.7l is the magic number if you change on a level surface and do not choose to do the overflow method by putting extra and letting it flow out.

I did the service about 500 miles ago and filled from the top using a little blue funnel placed in the gap from the top. Takes a while to get the fluid to go in, much longer than a typical oil change. The service overall is pretty easy and worth the savings. I live in the UK and was quoted 328 British pounds at the local dealership and that was with the supplied oils and filter.

Definitely do not need to fill from the bottom using the plastic tubes in the shop dap kit. I purchased the kit without and had no issues. GL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ok, so did you measure what you drained out and just put what came out back in, or you just decided that 4.7 liters was going in? And did you run through the gears after you refilled the dsg fluid like in some YouTube videos, or is that only necessary with the bottom fill method? I am about to do my dsg service for the first time since it cost so much to have someone else do it
EmmKay11945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:54 AM   #5
SugarMouth
Senior Member
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
Location: Broomfield, CO
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,542
Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you have a 8mm & 14mm allen head sockets for the drains and 24mm socket for the filter cover.

  • Put vehicle on jack stands/ramps on even lift.
  • Pull intake, battery, battery tray.
  • Pull Filter and leave open.
  • Grab drain bucket and pull first 14mm plug. Let drain for 10 min.
  • Pull 8mm plastic drain plug inside 14mm drain plug. Most of the fluid now will come out. Let drain for 15 min.
  • While waiting for fluid to drain clean up filter housing, remove old o ring. Lube up new o ring and install on housing.
  • Once fluid is finished draining grab the plastic plug and install. I recommend this to only be hand tight meaning tighten with the socket and your hand, no ratchet attached.
  • Clean the outer area on the drain and make sure you have removed the old washer. Grab new washer and install with drain plug. Torque to 33 ft lbs.
  • Grab your funnel, remove the inner screen (optional but speeds up the process)
  • Insert funnel into the center tube in the filter base and start pouring your fluid. Once you get 4.6-4.7 ltrs filled remove funnel.
  • Grab filter, lube up o ring inside the bottom of the filter and install. Push slowly to prevent a splash.
  • Grab housing with freshly lubed new o ring and install. Torque to 15 ft lbs.

Reinstall battery tray, battery and intake and you just saved hundreds.
__________________
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG | FBO | Littco L450
SugarMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
The Fed
Senior Member
 
The Fed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Florida
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10,102
[QUOTE=DrDavid;670207]i have seen a lot of videos (youtube) about the dsg service.... but i really have a big question....

for example, in this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ink6ZpYqPQk

If you already put de air filter the gearbox is cloused. The air inside the box is compressed ? when you put oil by de drain plug where did the air go ?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I don't know exactly where it is/they are, but there are air vent hole(s) in the DSG case.
__________________
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:43 AM   #7
gti330ex
Senior Member
 
Drives: golf
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 644
Thanks for the links and info SugarMouth!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
gti330ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:50 AM   #8
EmmKay11945
Member
 
Drives: 2016 GTI
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you have a 8mm & 14mm allen head sockets for the drains and 24mm socket for the filter cover.

  • Put vehicle on jack stands/ramps on even lift.
  • Pull intake, battery, battery tray.
  • Pull Filter and leave open.
  • Grab drain bucket and pull first 14mm plug. Let drain for 10 min.
  • Pull 8mm plastic drain plug inside 14mm drain plug. Most of the fluid now will come out. Let drain for 15 min.
  • While waiting for fluid to drain clean up filter housing, remove old o ring. Lube up new o ring and install on housing.
  • Once fluid is finished draining grab the plastic plug and install. I recommend this to only be hand tight meaning tighten with the socket and your hand, no ratchet attached.
  • Clean the outer area on the drain and make sure you have removed the old washer. Grab new washer and install with drain plug. Torque to 33 ft lbs.
  • Grab your funnel, remove the inner screen (optional but speeds up the process)
  • Insert funnel into the center tube in the filter base and start pouring your fluid. Once you get 4.6-4.7 ltrs filled remove funnel.
  • Grab filter, lube up o ring inside the bottom of the filter and install. Push slowly to prevent a splash.
  • Grab housing with freshly lubed new o ring and install. Torque to 15 ft lbs.

Reinstall battery tray, battery and intake and you just saved hundreds.
Awesome sounds great, thanks. Last question, can I use the 75$ dsg fluid from eBay the liqui Molly 8100 i believe. if it's not a good quality fluid then I definitely wouldn't want to use it, but if youve ever used it, and it's a good quality then it'd be nice to save even more money!
EmmKay11945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #9
SugarMouth
Senior Member
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
Location: Broomfield, CO
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmKay11945 View Post
Awesome sounds great, thanks. Last question, can I use the 75$ dsg fluid from eBay the liqui Molly 8100 i believe. if it's not a good quality fluid then I definitely wouldn't want to use it, but if youve ever used it, and it's a good quality then it'd be nice to save even more money!
That is up for debate. Some like it, some don't.

They claim this is OE fluid. https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-DSG-...fluid+Pentosin
__________________
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG | FBO | Littco L450

Last edited by SugarMouth; 08-13-2018 at 04:09 AM.
SugarMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:00 AM   #10
SugarMouth
Senior Member
 
SugarMouth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
Location: Broomfield, CO
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti330ex View Post
Thanks for the links and info SugarMouth!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Welcome!
__________________
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG | FBO | Littco L450
SugarMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 AM   #11
Ecapskcab
Member
 
Drives: MKVII GTI
Location: COLORADO
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
Buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you have a 8mm & 14mm allen head sockets for the drains and 24mm socket for the filter cover.

  • Put vehicle on jack stands/ramps on even lift.
  • Pull intake, battery, battery tray.
  • Pull Filter and leave open.
  • Grab drain bucket and pull first 14mm plug. Let drain for 10 min.
  • Pull 8mm plastic drain plug inside 14mm drain plug. Most of the fluid now will come out. Let drain for 15 min.
  • While waiting for fluid to drain clean up filter housing, remove old o ring. Lube up new o ring and install on housing.
  • Once fluid is finished draining grab the plastic plug and install. I recommend this to only be hand tight meaning tighten with the socket and your hand, no ratchet attached.
  • Clean the outer area on the drain and make sure you have removed the old washer. Grab new washer and install with drain plug. Torque to 33 ft lbs.
  • Grab your funnel, remove the inner screen (optional but speeds up the process)
  • Insert funnel into the center tube in the filter base and start pouring your fluid. Once you get 4.6-4.7 ltrs filled remove funnel.
  • Grab filter, lube up o ring inside the bottom of the filter and install. Push slowly to prevent a splash.
  • Grab housing with freshly lubed new o ring and install. Torque to 15 ft lbs.

Reinstall battery tray, battery and intake and you just saved hundreds.
*Solid Post, sir.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ecapskcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #12
George Ab
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Location: Pacific NW
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 921
It is almost as easy as a engine oil change. DIY: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32503
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.