GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs R32 and STI

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Two separate runs:

I saw a lowered and modified R32 on my way to a client on Rt.78 in NJ last week. It sounded so nice! We did a couple of highway speed rolls. It was over very quickly, even though I started 3-4 car lengths back. I reeled him in quickly and just went by without a problem at all.

Yesterday on my way home I saw a 2008 - 10 STI hatch. He had an exhaust and large mudflaps on it. I could hear it thumping through traffic. We had a nice opening and he hit it hard (I could tell because of the billowing smoke coming out from the exhaust - didn't know they made a diesel version :D). Anyway, I basically crawled up to his rear bumper and had to leave off and just feathered the gas to keep up.
Next, we had a bit of a larger opening and he hit it again. I was closing quickly and pulled out to pass him, but we had to slow down again.
Without a doubt, I was quicker than he was. He gave me the thumbs up when we were next to each other in traffic afterwards.

am215

Ready to race!
nice! I always see/read of GTI's doing well with modified STI's but can't seem to find any videos or reports of a stage 1/jb4 GTI vs a cobb ots tuned WRX

Venumous

Ready to race!
nice! I always see/read of GTI's doing well with modified STI's but can't seem to find any videos or reports of a stage 1/jb4 GTI vs a cobb ots tuned WRX

From what I had seen in the past Cobb's OTS Stage 1 tune for the 15+ WRX is not that impressive. Seems like a lot of people run 96-98mph traps stock and 100-102mph tuned or tune + intake. JB4 is going to be able to pull on that for sure.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Had we more time/distance, I would have definitely pulled pretty hard on the STI. It was no effort at all to keep up with him. When I pulled out from behind him, I was a couple car lengths back (from the hit) and just crawled right up beside him with ease.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
From what I had seen in the past Cobb's OTS Stage 1 tune for the 15+ WRX is not that impressive. Seems like a lot of people run 96-98mph traps stock and 100-102mph tuned or tune + intake. JB4 is going to be able to pull on that for sure.

My Current V-Dyno, COBB OTS 93 Stage 1 HWG

Any tuned GTI would destroy me from a roll at the moment.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
My Current V-Dyno, COBB OTS 93 Stage 1 HWG

Any tuned GTI would destroy me from a roll at the moment.

Ah, got it! I've run what I can assume was a new stock WRX and it was a whitewash for sure.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Come back to the dark side brother

I literally love my WRX right now, I'll let you know how I feel once the engine blows though lol.

I work on many MK7's still, last weekend I did a JB1 on an MY17 Golf R, there is a large VW group I still meet with every week.

Also one of the guys has their R at Iroz Motorsports right now, last we heard its putting 600whp to the wheels with a built motor and DSG on E85 flex tuned by UM.

If I bought another VW it would be an R or R32, no substitute for AWD now.

bjarvis6336

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't lost to a single Subaru in my GTi yet and I've ran a lotttt that's pretty much our car scene in the north east :rolleyes:
I pissed off the local Subaru group one night and a bunch of people showed up, ran like 15 in a row lol
I'm only JB4 Custom Map 6, DP 6MT

04 blob eye FBO + Custom tune walked him from a 40 roll
04 Blobeye STI Cobb 20G/EWG FBO 350awhp/350awtq Ran door to door until 124mph he couldn't pull on me, We ran back to back about 6 times he wasn't happy
2010 STI FBO Stage 2 pulled like 3 cars 40-120
A couple 2015+ WRX's FBO's pull out about 2 cars 30-120
I have a ton of videos but I don't have a youtube channel to post them

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Subarus are generally not fast, seriously unless they have built blocks don't waste your time lol.

Unless its a new WRX on flex fuel, completely different animal then. The new FA20 in the 2015+ WRX reacts very well to E60, that might actually be a good race for you.

Last edited:

Venumous

Ready to race!
My Stage 2 STI on E85 was most definitely as fast as my current GTI as is up to 100mph. After that the EJ just doesn't pull as hard, 1st and 2nd gear is where that car shined and it made 315/352 on a Mustang Dyno (call it 340/387 on a DynoJet) and weighed around 3400lbs. That 3400lbs is going to hurt a bit against a 3000lb GTI for sure from a roll with traction, which I hope to have some of with my new Konig Runlites and 235 Cooper RS3-S tires this weekend.

bjarvis6336

Passed Driver's Ed
Subarus are generally not fast, seriously unless they have built blocks don't waste your time lol.

Unless its a new WRX on flex fuel, completely different animal then. The new FA20 in the 2015+ WRX reacts very well to E60, that might actually be a good race for you.

I've heard they pickup really well on E! Unfortunately for us where we live in New York there is like 2 E Stations within 300 miles north or south so it's a huge pain and unpractical unless you 50 gallon drum it :(

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
@bjarvis6336

also upstate NY here. Albany area. I see WRXs all over the place up here. I haven't run against one yet, or at least I haven't got one to run against me yet. some reason I thought they were faster than Gti. maybe that's why I can't get one to run against me. :D
I test drove a wrx and really liked it but went with the Gti for what I felt was the better all around package and value. I seem to remember being very impressed with the quickness of the wrx on the test drive tho.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The stock tune on the WRX has weird throttle response, literally 25% actual throttle is 100% mapped.

The COBB tune fixes that and the weird rev hang, but I can tell you that a Stage 1 MK7 GTI will absolutely walk a WRX from a roll.