GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

eBay Twintercooler

Cozmo58

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk
These all dropped to $310 today. Just ordered one. If you have a chase freedom and use it through paypal you get 5% cashback also.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Small nitpick, but I've noticed the ambient temp sensor reads a few degrees high now. Anyone else run into this?

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I hope some of these show up on Ebay with Black cores, I like the ease and price of these FMIC but want to be more discreet.

For the price they are a quick rattle can job shouldn't be too bad. Mine came in today and it looks pretty good. Undecided if I wanna paint it before I put it on.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I hope some of these show up on Ebay with Black cores, I like the ease and price of these FMIC but want to be more discreet.

Agree with keeping the car discrete looking. I'd have gone with a black core if it was available at the time I bought it. I could tell myself that leaving it as-is (bare) avoids adding a layer of paint which would ever so slightly decrease it's cooling efficiency. But yeah, I'll be honest, it was pretty much just laziness on my part that I didn't spray it black.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I notice the listing says R's need to trim their bumper. Anyone know what exactly this means? I just put on an R bumper so wondering where I'm going to need to trim.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
Agree with keeping the car discrete looking. I'd have gone with a black core if it was available at the time I bought it. I could tell myself that leaving it as-is (bare) avoids adding a layer of paint which would ever so slightly decrease it's cooling efficiency. But yeah, I'll be honest, it was pretty much just laziness on my part that I didn't spray it black.

Eastwood makes a radiator paint that is heat dissipating, it's supposed to be thinner too so it doesn't clog the fins. Something like that would be my choice.

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Damn it. I ordered mine using the 20% coupon and for some reason it got sent back to the seller before it even left China. Seller promised to send a replacement but now says he's run out of stock and will refund my money. Lost out on the $70 off. Maybe it's a sign I should go for the Majesty stock location IC instead.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Mine came in earlier this week. I installed it today. It was a pretty straightforward install. I had to bend back the right bracket a bit, and grind down the grill for the front bumper (Golf R bumper).
No nasty surprises, good kit.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Got annoyed with the ambient air temp sensor fluctuating between 5-10 degrees above ambient, so today I pulled the bumper off and relocated the sensor. It's just zip tied to the bolt part of the hose clamp. Now it's reading accurate again.

Anyways, just a heads-up for anyone installing a twintercooler in the future: Don't mount the temp sensor in the bracket as directed in the instructions. Find somewhere else to rig it.

Attachments

• sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,276

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Got annoyed with the ambient air temp sensor fluctuating between 5-10 degrees above ambient, so today I pulled the bumper off and relocated the sensor. It's just zip tied to the bolt part of the hose clamp. Now it's reading accurate again.

Anyways, just a heads-up for anyone installing a twintercooler in the future: Don't mount the temp sensor in the bracket as directed in the instructions. Find somewhere else to rig it.

I mounted mine in the spot the instructions say. I didn't notice a difference in the reporting. Although my bracket is bent a but so the sensor is pointing forward more.

pieguy

Ready to race!
I mounted mine in the spot the instructions say. I didn't notice a difference in the reporting. Although my bracket is bent a but so the sensor is pointing forward more.

How much of a temperature drop WOT are you seeing?

Hotfart

Ready to race!

Between the GTI and Golf R, I wonder if there is some difference with the airflow on the different front ends, feeding the ambient sensor more fresh air. Before relocating mine, it would definitely show temps higher than ambient by 5-10 degrees, and would fluctuate around quite a bit. Regardless, glad it's working for you, and I'd also be curious how much over ambient your IATs look with the IS38. Are you running a stock tune, or are you flashed/JB1/JB4?

EDIT: My bad, I saw you have a Golf R intercooler, and for some reason my brain registered it as your car is a Golf R. But still, same logic, wonder if the different front ends make a difference in airflow to the sensor. Also still curious how it cools off your IATs for the IS20 on the 1.8t.

Last edited:

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Between the GTI and Golf R, I wonder if there is some difference with the airflow on the different front ends, feeding the ambient sensor more fresh air. Before relocating mine, it would definitely show temps higher than ambient by 5-10 degrees, and would fluctuate around quite a bit. Regardless, glad it's working for you, and I'd also be curious how much over ambient your IATs look with the IS38. Are you running a stock tune, or are you flashed/JB1/JB4?

EDIT: My bad, I saw you have a Golf R intercooler, and for some reason my brain registered it as your car is a Golf R. But still, same logic, wonder if the different front ends make a difference in airflow to the sensor. Also still curious how it cools off your IATs for the IS20 on the 1.8t.

I haven't run any logs yet. I probably should have logged before installing. But I was too excited to install and completely forgot.
I'm not an R, but I am also running the golf R front bumper, so maybe the way the grill is affects the temp sensor as well?