GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Incentives 6/5-7/9

Steve-O

Passed Driver's Ed
Is the partner program different from the military or student incentives? If so, how can I get involved? TIA

cb1111

Is the partner program different from the military or student incentives? If so, how can I get involved? TIA
The easiest way to get into the "partner program" is to join the SCCA (sports car club of america). The $80 annual dues gets you an additional $500 off (so $420). If you're a cyclist, one of those organizations gets you the same discount with slightly lower dues.

Military/firefighter, partner and graduate discounts all stack on top of your best price.

These discounts don't apply to the R - which has nothing from VW.

Steve-O

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice, thanks. Partner program (SCCA) I assume would apply to most of the VW lineup, not just the GTI? I'm looking to buy a new Atlas too.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The easiest way to get into the "partner program" is to join the SCCA (sports car club of america). The $80 annual dues gets you an additional $500 off (so $420). If you're a cyclist, one of those organizations gets you the same discount with slightly lower dues.

Military/firefighter, partner and graduate discounts all stack on top of your best price.

These discounts don't apply to the R - which has nothing from VW.

Not sure if it's a different price structure for SCCA members, but the partner program pricing I got through work was $500 off dealer invoice, not MSRP. It's a pretty good deal especially now when they aren't offering a whole lot of cash.

cb1111

Not sure if it's a different price structure for SCCA members, but the partner program pricing I got through work was $500 off dealer invoice, not MSRP. It's a pretty good deal especially now when they aren't offering a whole lot of cash.
AFAIK, all the partner programs get you the same $500 off. The $500 comes off either invoice or your best negotiated price - so the partner program gets you two things;

Invoice pricing
$500 discount

Military/firefighter and graduated discounts don't get you invoice pricing UNLESS you combine them with the partner program.

It is unlikely that most people will qualify for all three discounts.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Nice. I had the advantages of both the partner program and the knowledge of how much dealer cash was available, so all I did was email the OH dealers with my offer price (partner pricing minus dealer cash) and told them if they wanted to sell me a car at that price, great; no hard feelings if they didn't. Most of them accepted my offer (which was a few grand off of their super-low advertised price) in less than a day. I specifically told them I wanted all $4500 of the dealer cash, so they knew they couldn't claim I was asking for an impossible price.

Its always good to have some inside information! Looks like that was a no-hassle deal.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
AFAIK, all the partner programs get you the same $500 off. The $500 comes off either invoice or your best negotiated price - so the partner program gets you two things;

Invoice pricing
$500 discount

Partner program pricing is invoice - $500.

For people who negotiate a better deal, final price would be negotiated price - $500 and for people who do not negotiate any deal, it would be invoice - $500.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Invoice pricing
$500 discount

Military/firefighter and graduated discounts don't get you invoice pricing UNLESS you combine them with the partner program.

It is unlikely that most people will qualify for all three discounts.

If it's the same pricing, then $500 below invoice is your starting point. From there, subtract any other cash they're offering, plus whatever discount you can negotiate to reach your final price. At least, that's what I did.

Ninjastyle

Passed Driver's Ed
Partner program pricing is invoice - $500.

For people who negotiate a better deal, final price would be negotiated price - $500 and for people who do not negotiate any deal, it would be invoice - $500.

This is important. When I bought mine, I had negotiated to below invoice. When I pulled out the partner program information and requested an additional $500 off, they kept insisting that i couldn’t get it since I had already negotiated to below invoice. I stood my ground. Took another hour but they finally relented after I kicked it up to the manager. I kept asking them “why the eff do you guys care? This $500 isn’t coming out of your pocket”, but they wouldn’t listen.

Steve-O

Passed Driver's Ed
Not many changes from April/May programs. All programs valid 6/5-7/9 unless updated before end date. New updates in red:

MY18 GTI Dealer Cash: $1000

MY18 GTI Special APR: 0.9%/60 1.9%/72 2.4%/72 +$1000 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Dealer 1st Choice: 1.9%/60 2.9%/72 3.4%/72 + $1500 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Dealer 2nd Choice: 2.9%/60 3.9%/72 4.4%/72 + $2000 APR Cash

MY18 GTI Lease: .00174/36mo + $950 Lease Cash (52% RV)

MY18 Golf R: No special APR, Special Lease, or cash incentives

MY17 GTI: No further incentive support.

As always, post in this thread or PM me if you have any questions or need info on other VW models.

Is the "MY18 GTI Dealer Cash: $1000" the same as the "Driver Access Program $1000" I've seen elsewhere? And these cannot be combined with the $2000 dealer choice 2 for financing, right?

cb1111

Is the "MY18 GTI Dealer Cash: $1000" the same as the "Driver Access Program $1000" I've seen elsewhere? And these cannot be combined with the $2000 dealer choice 2 for financing, right?
The Driver Access Program is something completely different - it helps pay for certain accessibility modifications for people with disabilities.

While there are significant limitations on this program, it really doesn't affect most consumers.

Will you be making medically required accessibility/mobility modifications? If not, then you don't need to worry about the Driver Access Program.

In general, here are the possible discounts from VW:

$1000 to $1500 if you finance through VW credit ($1000 if you qualify for .9, $1500 for the 1.9 - for calculations, on a $30k loan over 5 years, the $1000 is about 1%)

additionally

$500 military/ first responder
$500 supplier/partner
$500 recent college graduate

Accordingly, if you are current/retired military (or current first responder), a member of SCCA (or another partner program) and just graduated college (or will graduate soon) and have 740+ credit then you could get $2500 off the invoice price of the car (or $2500 off your negotiated price if that is better).

Steve-O

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, the Driver access program popped up on another website (NADA or Edmunds I think) when I was scouring through incentives and pricing there. I appreciate the clarification.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

VW dealer cash is only available for units sold with VCI standard APR financing, bank/3rd-party financing, or 3rd-party lease (which VW treats as a retail purchase). This is an incentive that VW offers to the dealer, not the consumer, though the dealer can (and often does) discount the car using part/all of the available dealer cash. Your purchase agreement will reflect this as a dealer discount, and not a factory incentive.

If you choose special/low-apr financing through VCI, you get whatever VCI APR cash is on offer, but no dealer cash. I have not seen anything on the VW program rules to indicate that the dealer choice programs are based on credit score; rather, the dealer has the option of offering them as a way of increasing the effective down payment.

The upshot is, when there's more dealer cash than APR cash, bring your own financing. At present, there is no reason not to use VCI special APR (if you qualify for Tier 1), as you'll get a lower APR than any bank is offering, and the same cash. Alternatively, you could take dealer choice 2 for an extra $1000, then refinance shortly afterward to get a lower rate.