GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do I get updated Canadian maps on a 2015 GTI?

Squishy

Ready to race!
How do I get the latest map update for the gps on my 2015 GTI?

The dealer told me to go to http://vw.navigation.com but when I go there and select the 2015 GTI, it says to contact the dealer. I'm assuming the dealer will charge a large fee to update it so I was hoping there was an update I could download for free.

I see in Europe they can update it for free on http://www.navigation.com/vw-en but that site doesn't have Canadian maps.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Lots of roadwork in your area lately?

I had no idea there was a charge for this.

Squishy

Ready to race!
Yup I was driving on highway 404 which was extended to Keswick like 2 years ago, and according to the gps I wasn't even on a road. So I figure my maps must be at least 2 years old.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I usually use Apple Maps via CarPlay.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I use Apple Maps on my R via CarPlay.

When I had my Mk7 GTI, I had my map SD card updated at the dealer for free as part of a service.

Vorne Au hinten Weh

Passed Driver's Ed
Map Update for 2015 GTI

My September 14, 2014, car just received the latest map update (2018).
VW part # 5G9 919 866 Q. North America V7. (contains Mexico, US, Canada)
Your favourite VW dealer can order it for you.

For completeness, here the system info from my car:
Device part # 5G0 035 876
Hardware 014
Software 0655
Nav database # 5G9919866Q 0036 NAR2018

The dealer had to install the card. Because they have to hook the car up to the mothership, stick the card in, enter card ID#, card PIN # etc. (all come with the package). Then the card is registered to the car and cannot be used in another car.
The installation was free.
The card not so much: with HST C$210.58.
But my wife wants/has no cell but needs the nav when she uses the car, so there we are :)

On the unexpected bright side: this version is fast. Come home in the evening. Park the car and turn it off. Start in the morning: From starting the car to the nav system being up and running takes the same time as bluetooth connecting my phone. About as long as the previous card version took when the car had only been turned off for 10 minutes or so. Wow.

Squishy

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info. I'm not paying $210 but it's good to know it's available for those willing to pay. Many other manufacturers provide map updates for free, so I'm not impressed with VW, and this will affect my decision the next time I buy a car.

NCR-R

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info. I'm not paying $210 but it's good to know it's available for those willing to pay. Many other manufacturers provide map updates for free, so I'm not impressed with VW, and this will affect my decision the next time I buy a car.

Can't just blame VW for this... every vehicle I have owned with factory nav has charged for updated maps. Odds are your next car will have Carplay/AA anyways so won't be an issue anymore.