GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
So for those that are still on the fence on the 7.5, I've had the car 2 weeks now and highly recommend it! I got blue/DSG. 1st mod was a Torklift hitch for my 1up bike carrier, and the car just got back from the detailer for paint correction & ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro 5 year, incl wheels and glass).

My arm rest storage is locked so I found a cheap ratcheting one on allegro.pl (car breaker parting out a 2015 Golf R) for a fraction of the cost for new. Next up is a spare tire. The car is quite fast and handles great but is also amazingly comfortable. The front seats are awesome! I really like the DCC a lot and the DSG is lightning fast (100% seamless).

Coming from a 100% analog car (993, which I still have) I love Car Play, the touch screen, digital dash, and general comfort & amazing fit and finish. And I'm fascinated by the ACC slowing even to a stop and the lane correction stuff - pretty neat - as well as the automatic headlights (high/low automatic switching).

Before I had the car it was easy to obsess over forum posts lamenting that it is missing this or that or whatever. But driving & enjoying the car *completely* erases any of those thoughts! This is a lot of performance, quality, and features for the money -- and is very fun to drive! And it's pretty sharp looking as well. :)

Langer1

Passed Driver's Ed
So for those that are still on the fence on the 7.5, I've had the car 2 weeks now and highly recommend it! I got blue/DSG. 1st mod was a Torklift hitch for my 1up bike carrier, and the car just got back from the detailer for paint correction & ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro 5 year, incl wheels and glass).

My arm rest storage is locked so I found a cheap ratcheting one on allegro.pl (car breaker parting out a 2015 Golf R) for a fraction of the cost for new. Next up is a spare tire. The car is quite fast and handles great but is also amazingly comfortable. The front seats are awesome! I really like the DCC a lot and the DSG is lightning fast (100% seamless).

Coming from a 100% analog car (993, which I still have) I love Car Play, the touch screen, digital dash, and general comfort & amazing fit and finish. And I'm fascinated by the ACC slowing even to a stop and the lane correction stuff - pretty neat - as well as the automatic headlights (high/low automatic switching).

Before I had the car it was easy to obsess over forum posts lamenting that it is missing this or that or whatever. But driving & enjoying the car *completely* erases any of those thoughts! This is a lot of performance, quality, and features for the money -- and is very fun to drive! And it's pretty sharp looking as well. :)
So that’s a verification that the torklift hitch fits the 2018s? No issues with fitment? Thanks!

bboytaktix

Ready to race!

Great review! I got the same color/options as you and I also love mine! Good idea getting the PPF and ceramic coating. No matter how good the car is, there is always something about it that certain people will complain about! But in comparison to other Cars in its price range/class it's the best choice, at least for me!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Dealer here on the outskirts of nowhere got three in just the other day, two MT (white, red) and one DSG (black). Listing all of them at MSRP, not surprisingly. Looking at the pics on the dealer web site, I do like the new instrument cluster and infotainment screen. Still, nothing there that makes me even remotely tempted to ditch my '16 :).

davewg

Ready to race!

Blue/DSG here too, not far from you.

Loving mine too. It's a hoot to drive, and makes driving slow really, really difficult.

only1harry

Ready to race!
How do you guys like the R's brakes?
Is the 6yr/72k mi. warranty a true "new car bumper to bumper" warranty? Does it cover everything last year models' 3yr/36K warranty covers?

I was looking forward to getting the R, but now a few Honda dealers near me are selling the Type-R for sticker. I have a difficult decision to make, and I am thinking with the CTR I can go to the track a couple of times/year and have some real fun. With the R I would most likely have to get some coilovers and Stage 1 or 2 to keep up, and I really don't want to modify it for at least a couple of years. Then there is the matter of $7K difference between the 2. I can use a very small portion of that to tune the CTR's ECU to get 340hp/375 lb.ft of torque at the wheels and that have $ leftover for 3yrs of gas. The CTR is too flashy, and the R is too timid/simple looking, so I don't have a preference in the way they look. None of them look the way I want them to :)
Decisions, decisions.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
How do you guys like the R's brakes?
Is the 6yr/72k mi. warranty a true "new car bumper to bumper" warranty? Does it cover everything last year models' 3yr/36K warranty covers?

I was looking forward to getting the R, but now a few Honda dealers near me are selling the Type-R for sticker. I have a difficult decision to make, and I am thinking with the CTR I can go to the track a couple of times/year and have some real fun. With the R I would most likely have to get some coilovers and Stage 1 or 2 to keep up, and I really don't want to modify it for at least a couple of years. Then there is the matter of $7K difference between the 2. I can use a very small portion of that to tune the CTR's ECU to get 340hp/375 lb.ft of torque at the wheels and that have $ leftover for 3yrs of gas. The CTR is too flashy, and the R is too timid/simple looking, so I don't have a preference in the way they look. None of them look the way I want them to :)
Decisions, decisions.

A lot of us like the understated look of the R and I view that as a positive attribute of the car. The CTR is a great driving vehicle, especially for FWD. Honda really worked some engineering magic with it. However it looks like a mess and they really fell short with interior quality and refinement. The Golf R is more mature, more practical, more comfortable, has a higher quality, nicer interior, better interior technology and is AWD. That it’s marginally less capable on the track didn’t figure into my decision.
Yes, the warranty is ‘bumper to bumper’ 6 year 72k. Some icing on the cake!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
If your focus is really the track, go with the Honda. Beast of a track car I understand, and the failings in the interior/refinement areas aren't a big deal for a track car. If your focus is a daily driver, with the ability to go to the track, the Golf R all the way. It's a tremendous daily driver, very refined, and the meekness is actually a plus when you _don't_ want attention.

But, yeah, the CTR is a killer ride. Dealer here has one, finally, and the price, around $36k, is amazing for what you get in terms of zoom zoom.

Of course, you have to immediately become an otaku and move to Tokyo.

only1harry

Ready to race!
Well a Dealer finally came down on the price. I offered $40,900 and he said they stand firm at $42,050 MSRP. Then when I said thanks for making my decision easier to buy a CTR because that is the only car I would pay MSRP for, he said make me a better offer. So I said $41K is the most I will pay, and the sales manager accepted.

This Dealer has 5 R's by the way(!), and most others have 2 within 50-60 miles of me. I was surprised this one had so many. Noone probably pre-ordered any, so they got the full allocation sitting in the lot. I haven't been there yet. I do everything via email so I don't waste my time with them listening to their BS and trying to brainwash me how and why I should pay them more. They wrote to me how "rare" Golf R's are, and I wrote back saying yeah that's why there are a dozen 2015 through 2017 used R's on the market in my area. Probably because people got tired of their cars throwing codes and going into limp mode or other issues. I fully expect to be in the shop a few times/year with this car. I have come to terms with it, so it better be as good as everyone says :D

So dang, it looks like I 'll be buying the Golf R instead of the Type R.

I 'll be test driving it hopefully tomorrow. It's a black one. I am glad I never test drove the CTR or it would be in my driveway right now. My brother still has his '98 Integra Type-R and I know how well his handles, and how much I like that old ITR. Heck, I still have my Integra GSR! I just have to put a 2.5" CAT back on so I can pass inspection and start driving it again. They changed the emission laws in my county so I had to take it off the road. Getting lazy in my old age. Yes I am old(er) and love fun to drive Hatchbacks! That's my curse :( Should be driving a Lexus or Audi in my age :)

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Well a Dealer finally came down on the price. I offered $40,900 and he said they stand firm at $42,050 MSRP. Then when I said thanks for making my decision easier to buy a CTR because that is the only car I would pay MSRP for, he said make me a better offer. So I said $41K is the most I will pay, and the sales manager accepted.

This Dealer has 5 R's by the way(!), and most others have 2 within 50-60 miles of me. I was surprised this one had so many. Noone probably pre-ordered any, so they got the full allocation sitting in the lot. I haven't been there yet. I do everything via email so I don't waste my time with them listening to their BS and trying to brainwash me how and why I should pay them more. They wrote to me how "rare" Golf R's are, and I wrote back saying yeah that's why there are a dozen 2015 through 2017 used R's on the market in my area. Probably because people got tired of their cars throwing codes and going into limp mode or other issues. I fully expect to be in the shop a few times/year with this car. I have come to terms with it, so it better be as good as everyone says :D

So dang, it looks like I 'll be buying the Golf R instead of the Type R.

I 'll be test driving it hopefully tomorrow. It's a black one. I am glad I never test drove the CTR or it would be in my driveway right now. My brother still has his '98 Integra Type-R and I know how well his handles, and how much I like that old ITR. Heck, I still have my Integra GSR! I just have to put a 2.5" CAT back on so I can pass inspection and start driving it again. They changed the emission laws in my county so I had to take it off the road. Getting lazy in my old age. Yes I am old(er) and love fun to drive Hatchbacks! That's my curse :( Should be driving a Lexus or Audi in my age :)
Still hard to find CTR for msrp due to rarity. Still going for 3-5k over

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

only1harry

Ready to race!
Not in my area (downstate NY). 3 out of 4 dealers are selling them for MSRP. Most of the Jersey dealers are too.

Maybe because the CTR is a "summer car" and we 've had bad winters here lately, so they don't sell as well here as in other states? It's not a daily driver if you live in the Northeast and many dealers have CTR's in the lost from last Nov-Dec. Now they got a couple of new ones each and they are mostly sitting in the lot. They do eventually sell after 2-3 or 4 months, but people are not running to the dealers and getting into a price war with others. Last October I was told by a Dealer "the person with the highest offer gets it", and they had a bottom price of $40K. That nonsense is over. There is 1 dealer left around me asking >MSRP, but it's only $1K above sticker. I don't do business with those dealers that are/were asking over MSRP, and I 've written them down so I can avoid them in the future. We had a couple of dealers asking MSRP from the start, and not a penny more, and those are the ones I will buy from when it's time to get my wife another Accord.

They don't realize that people are black-listing them for asking $5K and $10K >MSRP. They hurt themselves more than they think.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Not in my area (downstate NY). 3 out of 4 dealers are selling them for MSRP. Most of the Jersey dealers are too.

Maybe because the CTR is a "summer car" and we 've had bad winters here lately, so they don't sell as well here as in other states? It's not a daily driver if you live in the Northeast and many dealers have CTR's in the lost from last Nov-Dec. Now they got a couple of new ones each and they are mostly sitting in the lot. They do eventually sell after 2-3 or 4 months, but people are not running to the dealers and getting into a price war with others. Last October I was told by a Dealer "the person with the highest offer gets it", and they had a bottom price of $40K. That nonsense is over. There is 1 dealer left around me asking >MSRP, but it's only $1K above sticker. I don't do business with those dealers that are/were asking over MSRP, and I 've written them down so I can avoid them in the future. We had a couple of dealers asking MSRP from the start, and not a penny more, and those are the ones I will buy from when it's time to get my wife another Accord.

They don't realize that people are black-listing them for asking $5K and $10K >MSRP. They hurt themselves more than they think.
How you relate a CTR to an accord is beyond me. They only raise prices due to rarity and hype.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk