GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I wanted to spill the beans weeks ago, but was asked not to disclose until after WiTW...plus everything I’ve said has been echoed already in previous gen UM Haldex tunes ;)

Can’t wait to hit the strip this weekend and the track next month to really enjoy the mods done over this winter.

There I was pretending I just got it this week. :D You going to Great Lakes or elsewhere? I would love to go this weekend but I'm still patiently waiting for my drag brakes. :rolleyes:

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I wanted to spill the beans weeks ago, but was asked not to disclose until after WiTW...plus everything I’ve said has been echoed already in previous gen UM Haldex tunes ;)

Can’t wait to hit the strip this weekend and the track next month to really enjoy the mods done over this winter.

There I was pretending I just got it this week. :D You going to Great Lakes or elsewhere? I would love to go this weekend but I'm still patiently waiting for my drag brakes. :rolleyes:

You guys interested in going next week, tues or weds? Weekends are hard for me. Hopefully I can get this done and try my run again. Last weds I got 12.1s with a mild 1.8 60'

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
You guys interested in going next week, tues or weds? Weekends are hard for me. Hopefully I can get this done and try my run again. Last weds I got 12.1s with a mild 1.8 60'

I'm definitely down to go as a group, however I don't have wheels to race on.. I hit a pothole and popped one tire on my Pretorias, been running adapters and Audi Fat Fives with snow tires since. Those are now nearly bald in the front. :D I sold my 17" OZs with drag radials and now I have 15" Belaks with slicks that I can't use until I get my drag brakes. :mad:

DonTuan

Passed Driver's Ed

What time would you go? Good to see there’s a few of us in the Chicagoland area.

I'm definitely down to go as a group, however I don't have wheels to race on.. I hit a pothole and popped one tire on my Pretorias, been running adapters and Audi Fat Fives with snow tires since. Those are now nearly bald in the front. :D I sold my 17" OZs with drag radials and now I have 15" Belaks with slicks that I can't use until I get my drag brakes. :mad:

Dang slicks and drag brakes?! That’s commitment right there! I wanna hear more about your MPI and flex fuel setup, but i’ll save that for another place.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Usually around 6pm I can get there. I went with FastLax on the 12th. I know he wants to go again now that he figured out how to tune his car the right way.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I got the haldex tune done and my engine/dsg updated.

IMO, the haldex tune doesn't seem to do a whole lot from a stop. I did a video before and after and both times my fronts just light them up. MAYBE after, the fronts don't spin as hard, but I am not spinning the rears at all off launch.

In turns the car feels much more planted. Understeer is virtually eliminated.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I got the haldex tune done and my engine/dsg updated.

IMO, the haldex tune doesn't seem to do a whole lot from a stop. I did a video before and after and both times my fronts just light them up. MAYBE after, the fronts don't spin as hard, but I am not spinning the rears at all off launch.

In turns the car feels much more planted. Understeer is virtually eliminated.

I'm considering adding the haldex tune when I'm in the shop to get my tune updated for a downpipe, and based on whats been said so far I think your experience is about right.

Unless you were already experiencing issues from traction loss during a launch before (early upshift to second, etc.) I doubt you'd notice a big difference. I think this tune in the launch direction is really going to help big turbo cars, and I'd bet that many of the fastest UM cars have had this tune for a while.

For your situation, if you are launching hard at 4k RPMs it's possible you're just going to have some spin without dropping tire pressure or running stickier tires. If you go to the strip you might test what launch method gets you the best time, or play with a few other variables. Aggressive launches will spin, bottom line, but sometimes that is the fastest launch.

Where I'm more excited is for the car during spirited driving or track days. If you've ever come in or out of a corner too hot and got understeer on throttle, this tune should move more of the power off the front wheels for grip and transfer it to the rear for more oversteer, like a 50:50 split car.

A bone stock R, this isn't an issue. The torque split is tuned to be even, but if torque sent to the rear is software limited to factory output, then any tuned car will get the factory feel back but with increased power. Sounds good in theory, right?

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I am trying to hit the track Weds to see if it made any difference. I am hoping that at least the dsg and engine tune bump me into the 11s. I didn't mess too much with it post tune but the top end feels stronger to me. Could be placebo because I rarely drive the car. The track will tell me if my mph is up.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I am trying to hit the track Weds to see if it made any difference. I am hoping that at least the dsg and engine tune bump me into the 11s. I didn't mess too much with it post tune but the top end feels stronger to me. Could be placebo because I rarely drive the car. The track will tell me if my mph is up.

Could you post your after tune slow motion launch?

RoyB2

Ready to race!
It is hard to tell so I would take it with a grain of salt. After the car was warm and the tires were warm from being driven. The first video was earlier in the AM and the tires were cold. I purposely chose a spot with the least amount of traction to try and promote rear spin if possible. Clearly the fronts still blow the tires off.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Videos only showing the first 10 feet of a launch under completely different circumstances aren't exactly scientific, not busting your balls just saying. Gotta love slow mo though haha.

If the video were shot from behind you might be able to identify where the front wheels STOP spinning, which if the tune is helping then it should be spinning over a shorter distance. Still not super scientific.

AFAIK launch mode doesn't put the car into a 50:50 split, so the front wheels are still going to spin first and the haldex is going to react. The tune means it will react MORE by taking more power from the front and applying it to the rear. If your launch style, tires, etc. are going to produce front wheel spin, it's going to do that regardless.

TL;DR A day at the drags is going to be a lot more telling than these cool slo-mo vids.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I agree. I was using a random parking lot in the middle of the day. I did a couple launches and I wanted to skip out before the coppers showed up. Take it for what it's worth.

In the little bit of twisties, it felt much better. I need to take it on my usual route around town and see if I notice a difference on places I know the car tends to push on.