Passed Driver's Ed
A little background info:
2016 GTI Autobahn
DSG
Never tuned
41000miles
40k service completed at 40k
Car bought new and driven hard, never tracked though

So yesterday my wife was driving the car and apparently the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with a MFD error of dsg reverse not available and the whole car shook. She pulled over and I went to pick her up. Got the car home to my parents and pulled codes including transmission limp mode and 2nd gear clutch engaging unexpectedly. Turning the car off and on results in no more CELS but the car almost stalls when shifting into second gear and has a audible clunk when dropping from 2-1 at a stop.

3-6 gears work appropriately 5th gear whines farily loudly ,and the car worked fine before the dsg service. I am still covered under warranty and it seems others that have had this problem had it rectified by additional fluid in the dsg. Assuming it is the best case scenario and just low in fluid should i also push to have the clutches replaced. I imagine that there has to be clutch damage.

Any ideas, i won't be able to take the car in until Wednesday. I do want to watch them open the dsg drain plug to verify they actually filled the dsg appropriately but other then that i dont know what to expect.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Did a VW dealer do the service? And watching the fluid drain out won't tell you anything.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Did a VW dealer do the service? And watching the fluid drain out won't tell you anything.

The good part about your posts is the fact you spend little time making things up.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldn't drive it after those errors as mine didn't end well and I had zero warning until after it had eaten itself and there was plenty of fluid.....all over the road and car as adam1991 linked to.

Get it recovered as a precaution by VW as you are still under warranty and hope yours is ok.

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, it was serviced at an VW dealer at exactly 40k miles had the full 40k service and had spark plugs replaced as well.

Well it has to be driven home roughly 300 miles. So far it’s working, fingers crossed it makes it about 100 miles to go. I do however wonder if the dsg has been going out for a while, my MPGs have been in the low 20s with premium for the last 10k miles. I do drive hard. Either way I’ll keep everyone updated. Would much rather have the dsg replaced under warranty than outside of.

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
Yep, it was serviced at an VW dealer at exactly 40k miles had the full 40k service and had spark plugs replaced as well.

Well it has to be driven home roughly 300 miles. So far it’s working, fingers crossed it makes it about 100 miles to go. I do however wonder if the dsg has been going out for a while, my MPGs have been in the low 20s with premium for the last 10k miles. I do drive hard. Either way I’ll keep everyone updated. Would much rather have the dsg replaced under warranty than outside of.

Which dealer is 300 miles away from you? :eek:

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
Which dealer is 300 miles away from you? :eek:

I was visiting my parents in South Carolina, I actually tried to go to a dealer in Columbia but they told me the earliest time they could do a diagnostic test was Thursday the 26th.

I have to get back I georgia with the wife and baby for work on Monday. I’ll be taking it back to the dealer that did the dsg service in the first place and am contemplating taken to another dealer for a second opinion. It really just depends on what the dealer says and whether or not they messed the service up. ASSUMING the servicing dealer made a mistake, do I really want them replacing the transmission which is way more in-depth of a repair than draining fluid and adding the correct amount?

adam1991

Banned
Mistakes happen. What matters is not that they happen; what matters is how the dealer, if they did something wrong, recovers from the mistake.

They have insurance for such things.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You have the receipt and it's in the system. I would take it to my regular dealer since your warranty is good anywhere.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
You have the receipt and it's in the system. I would take it to my regular dealer since your warranty is good anywhere.

Yeah when they check your name or VIN, all previous Repair Orders will be available.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
i would'nt worry. You're in the 5yr 60k powertrain, so they'll fix it for free. Could be the mechatronic that's playing up. Nothing to do with the service.. (tho reading again, the noises do indicate mechanical failure) Eitherway seeing that you're not tuned, you literally have nothing to worry about !

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
besides the failure of this integral, expensive, supposedly well engineered part =D thats something to worry about... second thread for dsg failure for normal/not overtuned folks here ive seen this week... Still a wonderful transmission i have faith in, but unless these ppl are mad full of shit, and do 6 Launch controls every drive, these DSG failures are quite unacceptable.