GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had my windshield replaced...

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Funny thing. I hang out in Acura, Honda, MB, BMW and VW forums. Each one says that [insert name of manufacturer here] has the worst glass evar!.

This is exactly what I try to get across when the glass thing comes up, since 2002 All the cars I drove had chips cracks or windshield replacement , Cadillac, MINI, BMW and Audis every single car except the the cars we have now in the house, Audi, VW Kia & A 12 year old Subaru, one car had a windshield replaced when it was a month old so eventually it will happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Windshields are consumables, IMO.

You should expect to replace it once or twice during an average 80-100,000mi life cycle.

I wonder if the Tiguan forums have people bitching relentlessly about the Fuyao glass fitted.

SRoads

Ready to race!
spend $400 and get clearplex installed, you guys wont have to go through this multiple replacement nonsense.

adam1991

Banned
It gets worse--you're supposed to replace it periodically.

Seems to me that windshields are no more expensive...

Go to their web site and you'll see their target customer:

"Because it's more than a car, it's a prized possession."

SRoads

Ready to race!

If you have one that has a rain/light sensor and or a camera for lane assist...its way less trouble that having the glass monkeys replace it improperly. Most people wont even keep their car long enough to ever have to replace the film. People are bitching repeatably here and other forums about sub par installs and glass. Clearplex does work and for me it is a way better option than replacing a windshield...then complaining on the internet about the substandard job and or glass...then paying to have the DAP/lane assist system realigned.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Clearplex is NOT a "way better option" than replacing a windshield. Unless they could 100% guarantee me that my windshield would never break once "protected", and if it were permanent rather than needing periodic replacement at $400 a pop, then MAYBE it MIGHT be worth considering. But as is, it's a ridiculously stupid idea.

cb1111

Clearplex and similar products are great for helicopters in a sandstorm but are a very expensive protection for cars.

Think of it like PPF - after a short while it starts looking pretty awful.

Additionally, windshield films are in violation of the FMVSS.

cb1111

Lawmakers exist to manufacture lawbreakers out of honest citizens.

In ths case it makes sense. In order to keep the windshield from breaking, this stuff needs to be softer than the glass. Accordingly, it WILL get damaged and will look worse than plain glass.

tepeswallachia

Car(s)
2016 GTI 6mt
Just putting this info out there...

It also features of their "dBControl" tech which claims to reduce noise by 10dB over "other windshields", and their "Thermo Control" tech which "strongly decreases the direct transmission of the sun's energy into your vehicle." according to the site I was taken to when I scanned the QR code on the glass.

Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did you actually notice a decrease in noise and heat?

SRoads

Ready to race!

I couldn't find that statement on the product website anywhere..

SRoads

Ready to race!
Clearplex is NOT a "way better option" than replacing a windshield. Unless they could 100% guarantee me that my windshield would never break once "protected", and if it were permanent rather than needing periodic replacement at $400 a pop, then MAYBE it MIGHT be worth considering. But as is, it's a ridiculously stupid idea.

Enlighten me on how replacing a factory installed windshield is better. 100% guarantees don't exist. The $400 is not just the film, but also the labor for the install.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Clearplex and similar products are great for helicopters in a sandstorm but are a very expensive protection for cars.

Think of it like PPF - after a short while it starts looking pretty awful.

Additionally, windshield films are in violation of the FMVSS.

PPF is designed to protect the finish underneath. So if after a short while it looks pretty awful, but you peal it off and the paint underneath is in good shape it did it's job.