GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 150hp tuning options

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Classic problem of expectations management. Your ass is calibrated to a higher level of torque hitting at a lower RPM, which makes your VW seem slow by comparison. I'm coming from a 2005 Toyota Corolla Verso, with more weight, less horsepower, and a lot less torque, so my VW seems fast by comparison.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
60 to 120 ; just below 9 seconds each time.

This means, my car performs as it should.
This means , me not very happy with this poor performance
This means tuning has to happen, or sell the car.

As the car is brandnew, depreciation of the car is terrible, i would loose approx 5K euro by selling it now, so i will have to keep it and get it tuned.

Here is my problem; my other car is a 12 yr old Volvo diesel, 136 hp, 320 Nm, does this in barely half the time...

Gear ratio, max torque at 2000 RPM both impact this result.

Err... I think the main problem is that you expected a 1.4lt petrol to outperform a more torque rich 2lt diesel

I presume your Volvo has the D5204T7 engine?
136PS @ 3,500rpm
350Nm @ 1,500-2,250rpm

Your 1.4lt petrol has
150PS @ 5,000rpm
250Nm @ 1,500rpm

They will drive totally different to each other, you should have done more research & better test drives before buying, therefore NOT the cars fault!

I have driven tuned 1.9Lt diesel MK5 Golfs & standard GT spec MK7 diesel estates (same as my car) & my car although drives totally differently (as you would expect) it is almost as fast (as the tuned MK5) & is more involving & has a more nimble front end..

But all basic mechanical knowledge...

gtchris1

Ready to race!
Really suprised your dissapointed with this engine.
Ive owned a lot of cars in the past and this tsi engine is by far the best ive ever driven.
I think the performance is great for only 1.4.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Bart, you have had a while to get used to passing in 3rd gear, because that is what worked best with the powerband of your diesel Volvo, but not what will work best for your new car.

A realistic scenario and question would involve being on a 2-lane road and needing to get around a slow vehicle or tractor in a quick and safe manner. We don't have any 2-lane roads here in Sweden where 120 km/h is legal, and relatively few where it would be safe even if it were legal. Considering the power curve of our cars, if we modify the test to 60-100, we'll see that 2nd gear (3800 > 6100 rpm) will be a better choice than 3rd (2450 > 4000 rpm) for making the quickest possible safe pass with our cars in that situation. It would never work in a diesel, and our power peak is at 5000 rpm, but the occasional run up to and over 6000 rpm should be no problem for our engines. (On a side note, you should also notice less turbo lag if you tip in at 3800 rather than 2450.)

In motocross terms, if you are disappointed that a 125cc two-stroke doesn't respond to short-shifting like an open-class four-stroke, the problem is not the bike.

Bart, I'd keep it as it is, drive it for a couple of years, and save on a GTI.
I'm sure you know, contrarily to a Diesel, downshifting and high-revving
helps a lot. Lightweight tyres and wheels also do.

http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=1133&L=1

6.30 kg !!

Bart1

Hi all,

thanks for all your comments.

Belgian tax punishes diesel cars lik ehell from now onwards, so driving petrol has become cheaper over diesel all of a sudden.

Combined with my short distances to drive (15km max), we went for the petrol.

We have a Sportsvan, the strongest engine is the 1.4 tfsi, there is no GTI, R, 2.0 available.

I had to settle with the 1.4 , i testdrove it, was disappointed at the time, told the dealer i will have it tuned asap.

I knew what i was getting into, still, awfull and painfull is that i now am confronted each time i drive the car with it.

I will get it tuned to 200hp/300Nm, already spoke in depth with 2 well known tuners about the risks and the 250 Nm limit VW seems to hold on to.

I am a biker, i change gears clutchless and i find it very hard to compair bike engine performances with a compressor blown, turbo car engine.

ajede

Hi all,

thanks for all your comments.

Belgian tax punishes diesel cars lik ehell from now onwards, so driving petrol has become cheaper over diesel all of a sudden.

Combined with my short distances to drive (15km max), we went for the petrol.

We have a Sportsvan, the strongest engine is the 1.4 tfsi, there is no GTI, R, 2.0 available.

I had to settle with the 1.4 , i testdrove it, was disappointed at the time, told the dealer i will have it tuned asap.

I knew what i was getting into, still, awfull and painfull is that i now am confronted each time i drive the car with it.

I will get it tuned to 200hp/300Nm, already spoke in depth with 2 well known tuners about the risks and the 250 Nm limit VW seems to hold on to.

I am a biker, i change gears clutchless and i find it very hard to compair bike engine performances with a compressor blown, turbo car engine.
Had mine tuned 2 years ago Up to 198ps / 320nm by Since then drove 40.000km without any issues. Just perfect! Had mine done combined with a New Dag double clutch that was worn for 95% and other DSG software. Perfect upgrades, car drives so different and very fast.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well times have changed....

Everyone is NOW doing over the so called "VW safe limit" of 250Nm for the MQ250 manual gearbox...even MTM (315Nm) & ABT (300Nm) who previously limited theirs to 250Nm....:confused:

Available main Stage 1 for the 140PS 1.4lt:-

ABT = 170BHP & 315Nm
APR = 175BHP & either 305Nm or 337Nm maps
MTM = 180BHP & 315Nm
Revo = 176-197BHP & 292-327Nm depending on fuel
Superchips = 172BHP & 313Nm

Plus there is a forum member on here who has a custom written Stage2 & produces 200BHP & 362Nm...engine mods are race cat & free flow air filter..& the manual gearbox & clutch are ok!

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I have yet to find anybody offering an upgraded clutch, but maybe that makes sense if the gearbox is the potential achilles heel.

Of course, this time of year, rolling around on 16" winter wheels, negotiating streets that alternate between being icy and being slushy, I'd be more interested in having a small "helper" electric motor driving the rear wheels rather than having more power up front.

Everyone is NOW doing over the so called "VW safe limit" of 250Nm for the MQ250 manual gearbox...even MTM (315Nm) & ABT (300Nm) who previously limited theirs to 250Nm....:confused:

ABT = 170BHP & 315Nm
MTM = 180BHP & 315Nm

Plus there is a forum member on here who has a custom written Stage2 & produces 200BHP & 362Nm...engine mods are race cat & free flow air filter..& the manual gearbox & clutch are ok!

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Anybody here have any experience with any of these suppliers? I seem to remember hearing about ABT back in the mid-1980s when I had my first VW, but the fact that they have been around for a long time does not necessarily mean that they are better than anybody else.

Being in Stockholm also means that I have limited access to some of them. I would rather have support within an hour or two rather than on the other side of the country.

ABT = 170BHP & 315Nm
MTM = 180BHP & 315Nm

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've ben doing some serious digging around & found out that the 1.4lt 150PS in the GTE (hybrid) is different compared to the versions which are not in the GTE!

This MK7 Golf GTE engine has a code of CUBK:-
1.Torque-plate honed cylinder block with reduced cooling jacket depth.
2.Piston in cylinder clearance adapted to cylinder block to reduce noise, blow-by gases & friction.
3.Main bearings & conrod bearings have a special coating to reduce wear.
4.Piston rings 1 & 3 (in all cylinder) have a special coating to prevent wear & friction.
5.Piston pin boss with lubricated bores.
6.Changes to toothed belt guard, fuel lines, charcoal filter lines, coolant lines etc due new position of engine location (more to left of engine bay).

The CRJA & CNLA hybrid versions as used in the Jetta hydrid:-
1.Crankshaft with teeth for connecting to the 3 phase electric motor.
2.Vibration damper on crankshaft.
3.Cylinder block & sealing flange on gearbox side with lead throughs for coolant for cooling the electric motor.
4.Electic air conditioner compressor.
5.Alernator & starter function carried out by electric drive motor.
6.Secondary air system (NAR only).
7.Performace increase to 110kW (150PS) with the aid of software modifications.

Now although that is a direct copy from the official self study guides on the cars, there are discrepancies. I would take for granted that the modifications apply across the board to all the hybrid 1.4lt 150PS engines.

What is interesting is that the performance increase over the 140PS is only gained via software, which we knew. However there are many "wear & friction reducing" improvements to these engines!

I also have been digging around on the new EA211 1.5lt TSI EVO engines which are in 130/150PS & replace the EA211 1.4lt engines. These new engines have many of these same hybrid improvements & gain an extra 10% reduction in fuel consumption etc.

I would strongly suggest that if you are tuning your engine that you only use super unleaded fuels & take the car of the flexible long service intervals & put it on short fixed service intervals & use the best oil accordingly, which is usually a 502 000 VW grade standard. This lets you use fully synthetic Mobil 1, & others at 0w40, 5w35, 5w40, etc., instead of the thick 5w30.

setterlee

Passed Driver's Ed
Not the SW is weak but the HW. No flash will change anything on this.
Same with the manual MQ250 btw. With 300 Nm or even 340 Nm the
clutch will slip sooner or later.
For some reason the current Polo GTI with its 1.8 TSI and DSG comes
with only 250 Nm instead of the 320 Nm of its MT counterpart, which
has the MQ350 gearbox and a much stronger clutch.

Take a look of this... is interesting...

http://kcng1983.blogspot.cl/2015/03/dq200-dsg7-torque-story-v2.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So after 5yrs of waiting for a decent tune & then thinking about one...I'll be getting one...I think!....later on this year once the Covid-19 Situation allows the local tuner to back to work!

Nice simple tune for 98RON fuel, with a low torque limit in the lower gears to protect the clutch....

I found a nice big post on the previous gen EA111 1.4TFSI twin charger engine, its problems & the DQ200 DSG gearbox.

http://www.gt-innovation.de/wordpress/tuned-cars/seat/seat-ibiza-cupra-1-4-stage1-2-3/

They found out the DQ200 DSG gearbox was designed for 450Nm but electronically limited to 250Nm. The clutch pack was failing at 280Nm & higher levels without the proper TCU software to increase the clamping levels. With the software it will hold 420Nm on a standard Lux clutch copper mix type friction material!!

Basically I recon that the manual gearbox MQ250 clutch is rated at least to 280Nm max....(206lbft) to allow for a 10% safety.