GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hammersticks' "Less Is More" MK7 GTI

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Took the right rear spring spacer off and expanded the perch to drop it a hair. The right rear is higher than the left the begin with. (FYI to anyone considering getting spacers, you may only need one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I recommend 42DD ending bushings when I customize shift levers/kits for ppl. They are oil impregnated and self-lubing. Perfect tolerances too.

I went with the 42DD bushings and metal relay lever from Shorty (no more plastic!) based on this recommendation. I had planned on using the metal bushings in conjunction with the Boomba adapter but I couldn't get the shifter adjusted properly with it on. Once I took the Boomba off I was able to do it. It fit, but the angle must have been off a bit.

With just the bushings alone (and relay), there was a tremendous improvement / reduction in slop. The throws were obviously long again but it was precise. Very impressed!

I then went back to Shorty to get his short shifter for the full enchilada. It took some time due to his schedule but it was worth the wait. The throws are a similar length as the boomba but also more precise with the bearings. Short, tight, and not super notchy. It feels good, and I love knowing there's no more plastic relay waiting to fail.

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
The removal of plastic parts continues…

I was due for an oil change and after seeing a couple threads and videos on steel oil pans I decided to make the move. I figured a pan is a pan so I went with the USP Motorsports version. I had watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTewhGWqBtg. He got the one from Haus of Dubs but the USP plug is also 14mm so I bought the same Gold Plug (AP-08) which fits right in. I also bought a couple packs of washers.

The USP pan comes with Reinzosil sealant. I had never heard of it and didn’t know the exact cure time, so I let it cure for what turned out to be 30 hours just in case. I had also never put an oil pan on before so I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out using the sealant vs. a gasket. I followed the DAP video for the most guidance, primarily, not to use an “absurd” amount of sealant. I think the bead ended up being around 1/8”. Anyway, I’m only a day in but so far so good without leaking. Knock on wood…

Last edited:

AR11

Ready to race!
Pan is stock oil capacity? Any rough impressions on weight vs stock? Regarding the shifter - I'm sure the short throw piece is noticeable but are the bushings worth doing on their own?

Any surprises found in the bottom of the stock oil pan?

bensonlui

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not sure where is your front noise coming from. But mine ( stock height untouched but there's tricking noise ). Found out it was the back braking shield is hitting sth when its turn. Its all quiet after I replace it.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Pan is stock oil capacity? Any rough impressions on weight vs stock? Regarding the shifter - I'm sure the short throw piece is noticeable but are the bushings worth doing on their own?

Any surprises found in the bottom of the stock oil pan?

Oil capacity seems about the same. I don't have exact measurements but I added about 5.8 liters and it was about 8/10 on the dipstick. As for weight, I didn't check but they were about the same. The steel pan isn't super heavy, but it's not thin/flimsy either. It was late but I didn't notice anything in the bottom of the pan when I changed it...and the garbage man hauled it off this morning. We'll see what turns up on the gold plug in 5k miles.

As for the bushings, I'd say it's absolutely worth it, but I would replace the relay as well instead of getting the MK7 kit which retains the plastic relay. I was surprised how much slop the bushings alone cleaned up. I was very happy with it, but decided to go short too.

CLOUT

Ready to race!
Thinking of doing the steel oil pan as well, looks to be a good piece especially for the price. Like how the wortec holds a liter more than stock (supposedly lowering oil temps by a bit) but its also $500 more lol, too much.

Renck

Ready to race!
This thread ........... sucks!

Did I get your attention? LOL

What's up man? Well, I'm paying you a visit based on ReadTheBook's recommendation. I'm the dude that pulled the trigger at the APR springs and looking forward in the near future to upgrade suspension (coil-overs). It seems you tried already a bit of combinations/products, I'm looking at the KW Variant 2 Coil-Overs, any input/feedback on those ones?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
This thread ........... sucks!

Did I get your attention? LOL

What's up man? Well, I'm paying you a visit based on ReadTheBook's recommendation. I'm the dude that pulled the trigger at the APR springs and looking forward in the near future to upgrade suspension (coil-overs). It seems you tried already a bit of combinations/products, I'm looking at the KW Variant 2 Coil-Overs, any input/feedback on those ones?

Sorry for the delay, guess I suck at updates here. Are you still thinking of moving off of the APRs? What have your impressions been?

Yeah, I've been through a few setups, but unfortunately I can't comment on the V2's as I've never had them. I like the HPA (KW) coils quite a bit. I really enjoy them 95% of the time. The other 5% they feel too tight on bad roads...but makes sense since they're used on the heavier R too.

A couple other points on KW...at least mine. The rear perches can't be adjusted while installed. I also have a pretty sizable discrepancy in perch height left to right on the fronts, which I've heard is common among KW products.

Renck

Ready to race!
Sorry for the delay, guess I suck at updates here. Are you still thinking of moving off of the APRs? What have your impressions been?

Yeah, I've been through a few setups, but unfortunately I can't comment on the V2's as I've never had them. I like the HPA (KW) coils quite a bit. I really enjoy them 95% of the time. The other 5% they feel too tight on bad roads...but makes sense since they're used on the heavier R too.

A couple other points on KW...at least mine. The rear perches can't be adjusted while installed. I also have a pretty sizable discrepancy in perch height left to right on the fronts, which I've heard is common among KW products.

Hey man! No worries.

Yes, I'm still thinking on eventually try something else at my car. But, for the moment, I'm very happy with the APRs. I was able to go to Wookies in the Woods few days ago and the car performed really, really well.

As your feedback/comment above, I can definitely agree with you in terms of performance / feel of a stiffer suspension. Overall is OEM, but you things are a bit tight on bad roads. But, it was kind of expected after a suspension modification, lowering the car and trying to get the car a bit stiffer.

So, for the moment, I'll keep riding the car as is and I'm setting the target on a rear sway bar and end links. Let's see how it goes.

What about you? What is next at your car?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Awesome you're liking the APR's.

As for me, more suspension stuff. Imagine that. :) Just need some nuts and bolts, and time. Stay tuned...

Gotta say though, my suspension was vindicated the other night. I drove home with a buddy who was in his Challenger SRT - 500 hp, so needless to say, no contest in the straights, but I pulled in front, whipped around a corner, and got back on it. I looked back and saw him swing WAY wide, in the other lane, and I was gone. He is still on stock tires/suspension, but hey, I'll take it. ;)

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Speeding ticket the other day...50 in a 35, saw the cop but had no idea I was speeding on this WIDE long straight street. :( What can I say, the car wants to go fast. Literally thought he was pulling me over for no front plate. After he left I realized he didn't say anything about my tint...so I guess there's that (knock on wood)

Other than that, the car is creaking like it's 20 yrs old vs 2. Super annoying. Gotta sleuth around again...the worst is a creak when I turn the steering wheel (even when stationary). I ignored it for a while but it's killing me.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
A little delayed on this but swapped out the Shorty’s shifter for the OE euro shifter. Shifting into 2nd was notchier than I wanted. 2nd is still notchier than the rest but it’s better than before. I am really happy with the setup. I like the throw of the shortys better but this overall package is really smooth and enjoyable. Love it.

Note, this doesn’t mean Shortys shifters are bad. Not at all. Probably just me / my car. I tried adjusting a few times but just didn’t work out for me.

Comparison: OE, Euro OE, shortys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk