GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 LED bulbs on halogen headlights?

SebaSbs

Hello, I'm thinking to buy LED bulbs for my halogen headlights, but I remember that time ago I read something about aftermarket xenon destroying windshield wipers motor. So far I didn't find anything useful about this problem, only one review on Amazon saying that wipers might not work, without additional clear information.

Anyone knows something about this?

Brett19

As far as I know, LED bulbs themselves won't affect the windshield wiper motor. But the halogen housings are not designed for LED bulbs so they'll blind incoming traffic that will crash into you head on, which may in turn damage your windshield wiper motor (amongst other things).

SebaSbs

Well, is not for sure it will blind someone. It depends of how you set the height and how the headlight reflects the light. Most people on Amazon are saying that incoming cars do not blink. A very few are saying that blinds people.
I have to give a try to discover how my golf reflects, if I blind people then I’ll send the leds back.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Most headlight LED bulbs have adjustment on the focal length so they match the reflector/projector housing you are putting them in. However they do not have the lumens to light the road up as good as standard bulbs yet. I have some as my cornering lights and tried them in the Wife's BMW 1-Series reflector housing and they were bright but didn't have the throw.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Deautokey on schedule as usual. I tried his and the results were so-so. They do work as advertised. If people are able to, I recommend getting eds replicas and putting in some morimotos h7 5500k in there. Lots of people are happy with that combo. Deautokey might have decent h7 but I like morimoto (I'm on my 3rd install)

Here is my write up http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483175

You are not comparing two of the same product in the same style housing and we feel that is misleading. Even if that is not your intention we just want to make it clear so there is no confusion.

A h7rc kit for a reflector vs our 5500K H7 kit for projectors are two very different setups for two different products/headlights.

H7RC Kit for reflectors:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

Our popular H7 (for projectors - aftermarket - eds/spyders/helix)- thinner ballast than morimoto and many coming to us when they told us they had misfiring issues with competitors:
http://deautokey.com/product/h7-hid...7-including-but-not-limited-helix-ed-s-spyder

yes - we care enough to share/post our product if we feel we offer something that can benefit a member and will work in their car.

And here is a review of our HID kits in a reflector (MK6 JETTA - the only difference is the no-tap adapters for the MK7 GTI/GOLF models):

Last edited:

SebaSbs

Deautokey on schedule as usual. I tried his and the results were so-so. They do work as advertised. If people are able to, I recommend getting eds replicas and putting in some morimotos h7 5500k in there. Lots of people are happy with that combo. Deautokey might have decent h7 but I like morimoto (I'm on my 3rd install)

Here is my write up http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483175

Thanks for the link.

I did some more research and as Finglonga said, LED lights doesn't have the right depth on the street. DeAutoKey HIDs are quite expensive and for sure they won't light up the street as OEM xenon because otherwise on reflector will blind everyone. At this point I think the best way to upgrade my lights is to buy new replica headlights with projector, it's obviously more expensive that buying deautokey HIDs but I'll have the maxium possible light and of course very good appearence.

Just for curiosity: who is the manufacter of OEM bi-xenon headlights? Valeo?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Hella / Valeo are the OEM headlight manufacturers. I too recommend going full-reps with proper HID retrofits for best lighting. I have had my RFB's installed with a morimoto d2s bulb and hylux ballast for over a year now. 10/10 recommend.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the link.

I did some more research and as Finglonga said, LED lights doesn't have the right depth on the street. DeAutoKey HIDs are quite expensive and for sure they won't light up the street as OEM xenon because otherwise on reflector will blind everyone. At this point I think the best way to upgrade my lights is to buy new replica headlights with projector, it's obviously more expensive that buying deautokey HIDs but I'll have the maxium possible light and of course very good appearence.

Just for curiosity: who is the manufacter of OEM bi-xenon headlights? Valeo?

While we agree about certain LEDs in these headlights we'd have to disagree with the assessment of our HID kits simply due to the amount of feedback and people running our kits that show otherwise and what we personally seen after installing these in the MK7.

Many are running our H7RC HID kit and there is no blinding glare according to feedback from real customers and it gives as much light as a projector housing on the road.

It is less work, less money, and an easier install for a lot more light - here is a comparison side by side:

5,500k D1S in OEM Projector on left.
6,500k H7RC in OEM Reflector on right.

And OEM vs Our H7RC kit:

darth_furious1

Passed Driver's Ed
At this point I think the best way to upgrade my lights is to buy new replica headlights with projector, it's obviously more expensive that buying deautokey HIDs but I'll have the maxium possible light and of course very good appearence.

Yes, the replica projectors and h7 HID kit is much more expensive than getting deautokey's h7rc kit. It is a lot cheaper than buying the h7rc kit, doing the install, always wondering if you made the right choice. Have it bug you every time you drive at night. Then eventually give in and buy the replicas and h7 HIDs and do the install again. That's what I did and I paid for 2 HID kits when I should have made the right choice the first time.

Do research, buy what you want, don't look back and wonder if you made the right choice. Getting replicas also get the added benefit of the led drl and sportier look.

Another tip is to put silica gel packets in the replicas when you put the bulb in. Do a search. This will save you some headache later.

I don't have a problem with deautokey lights. The h7rc work as advertised, no glare, and an improvement over stock halogen. My experience was that replicas with h7 HIDs were much better. Deautokey h7 will probably work well in replica projectors. He copy/paste reviews/testimonial pictures often and posts here at any mention of headlights. I would prefer fellow users to chime in and recommend his products than someone who has financial motivation to post. I never see other manufacturers post here like deautokey does. I get it that he needs to make a living but the other manufacturers get business from word of mouth from happy customers rather than direct advertising on forums

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I don't have a problem with deautokey lights. The h7rc work as advertised, no glare, and an improvement over stock halogen. My experience was that replicas with h7 HIDs were much better. Deautokey h7 will probably work well in replica projectors. He copy/paste reviews/testimonial pictures often and posts here at any mention of headlights. I would prefer fellow users to chime in and recommend his products than someone who has financial motivation to post. I never see other manufacturers post here like deautokey does. I get it that he needs to make a living but the other manufacturers get business from word of mouth from happy customers rather than direct advertising on forums

Sorry you feel this way - our intention is to help while sharing our product. If our motive was to simply make a sale we'd be out of business. We make sure our product works, looks good and that our customers will be 100% happy with their purchase.

But yes, we do care enough to put time into posting to share our brand so people have another option.

We have many people switching from morimoto to our HID due to the thinner ballast and bright output our UV coated 5500k that separate. A thinner ballast/2 part HID bulbs makes it easier to install our kit. Many are running our H7 now in aftermarket headlights and are not looking back.

Many have our H7rc kit and never switch to an aftermarket HID. Instead they put that $1000 they would've spent for a full xenon HID swap towards engine and exhaust mods.

We are lucky we do have a lot of good honest unsolicited customer feedback:

We are in business because people know we back our product and care enough to post on forums.

This is all real customers creating honest video reviews without us ever asking:

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Just to add re, the LED bulbs. They have BIG heat-sinks and cooling fans to get rid of the heat as they run very hot. So remember if you go LED you will not get the rear cap on the headlight unit. I had to adapt the LED's I use for cornering by removing some of the heat-sink surrounding the fan. Doesn't matter much on cornering lights as they are not on long enough to overheat. Headlight bulbs are and will not last long and could potentially do damage.